IP Daily Chat Monday 9/30/2013

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • Quote: I had a great NSV yesterday! A blind man noticed my weight loss!

True story. Every week, we visit my husband's family on Sunday night. His dad has macular degeneration and he only has peripheral vision. I have not said much to my husband's family about what I'm doing and they have not commented. I've lost more than 30 pounds and almost reached my goal weight, but if my sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews have noticed, they haven't said anything. I have never in my adult life been this small. So yesterday I walked in (wearing a fabulous new skirt with the blouse TUCKED IN) and my cute father-in-law tells me, "I had to do a double take to make sure that was you. You are a lot smaller than you used to be." We've never talked about my diet. He didn't know I was on one.

You know you're doing something right when a blind man can tell you've lost weight.
    Wow, this made my day, what a cute story!!
  • Quote: Congrats everyone on reaching goals today!!

Question - Lately I have been craving something besides plain water. What are some good substitutes? I have been drinking Canada Dry, Sparkling Seltzer H2O - The lemon lime and regular flavors. Are these okay to be drinking while on IP?
    I drink sparkling water (ie, carbonated spring water). I add either some lemon juice or ginger juice + stevia and it's like a fancy drink.

Brands I've used:

Safeway Refreshe ( 5 - 2 litre bottles for $4.00)
    San Pellegrino - $1.89 for a one litre bottle
    Gerolsteiner - $2.59 for a bottle that is a little bigger than 1 litre

The latter two are nice to have in restaurants when others are drinking wine.

Yummy.
  • Quote: One of my biggest worries is how I will feel when I reintroduce some old foods back in and whether they will make me sick. IP is so easy for me now, that I am a little anxious about phasing off and what maintenance will be like for me.

It is my sincere belief that I have turned a corner in how I think of food and will cook moving forward. You have first hand experience that a moment's satisfaction just isn't worth it. Who needs it!? You got this!

I totally understand what you're saying about phasing off. This is one of my biggest fears as well. IP has been so easy for me to this point (knock on wood). And then when I see posts about people gaining all or most of their weight back in maintenance, it gives me a pit in my stomach. Really hoping I can maintain when I'm not in ketosis.
  • Quote: Congrats everyone on reaching goals today!!

Question - Lately I have been craving something besides plain water. What are some good substitutes? I have been drinking Canada Dry, Sparkling Seltzer H2O - The lemon lime and regular flavors. Are these okay to be drinking while on IP?
    I drink Sparkling Ice. I buy it at Sams Club or Walmart. I think Costco carries it as well. They have a lot of flavors; Strawberry/Kiwi, Coconut/Pinapple, Grapefruit, Orange/Mango, Lemon/Lime, and several others.....and it is IP compliant.

2much2do: it took a long time before anyone mentioned my weight loss. I was down about 30 lbs and a friend said, "you must be getting a lot of compliments"! I told her that "no" she was the first to remark. I did have a lot of people ask if I was wearing my hair differently. lol. That is a common one. I love the story about your FIL noticing though. Too funny.

schenectady: sounds like good eats in your house this week. I just bought some shrimp as well and can't wait to make my spicy shrimp over cauli-rice this week.

ecdcslim: your words ring so true. I am sure I have said or done things in my own family that have been taken in a hurtful way without my intending to do so. We all play those roles so naturally and need to be aware of that. Thanks for the good advice to vachinyc, I think it is good advice for all of us; on the giving and receiving end.
  • Quote: Hang in there, I think you look MARVELOUS!
    Thanks
    I know we all have "stuff" and I've also dealt with this before. I think he thinks he is helpful. Gah!

Onward and upward! (Or downward in the case of the scale)
  • So, I am continuing my Microwave packet hack and recipe experiements.... I really wanted to make the potato bread, but I don't have access to an oven, so I decided to be creative and use the eggs I bought, and add 1/4 cup of water, 1 whole egg (I didnt want to waste the yolk, soo I just subtracted that from my protein for the day) and like an 8th a teaspoon of baking powder (Not sure if I really needed that or not, I was just guessing)... and I got an omelette textured potato thing... It wasnt the most appeasing to look at, but it was tasty!
  • A very late post today, but in case anyone is still reading tonight... I had a great experience over the weekend.... My closet rod collapsed and all my clothes came tumbling down. I had to rehang all of them and while doing so I figured I would but away really summery things. As I was folding these giant pants that I now wear, I realized they will not fit me next summer. None of the clothes I was putting away will fit me next summer. I have never in my life been able to envision a different me, and this moment was so sure, so forceful almost. It was really very motivating!
  • Quote: A very late post today, but in case anyone is still reading tonight... I had a great experience over the weekend.... My closet rod collapsed and all my clothes came tumbling down. I had to rehang all of them and while doing so I figured I would but away really summery things. As I was folding these giant pants that I now wear, I realized they will not fit me next summer. None of the clothes I was putting away will fit me next summer. I have never in my life been able to envision a different me, and this moment was so sure, so forceful almost. It was really very motivating!
    Awesome! That's so great! I like the way you think! Keep it up and you'll be there in no time!
    Best of luck and have a great week!
  • Quote: My personal suggestion? Do not let ONE TINY LITTLE BIT of anything OP in your mouth. If you do not start, it cannot snowball into more and losing track.
    Could not agree more!! It is a slippery slope, so just DON'T do it!!

Quote: I hit goal this morning! 50 lbs lost since May 13th!
    A little late with a congratulation - but, well....CONGRATULATIONS!!! How absolutely WONDERFUL for you!! So happy for you and you inspire me!
  • Happy Monday Night!
    Hi, all!

Little NSV-This weekend I actually bought some smaller clothes at Goodwill to hold me while I continue to try and lose. Got two big bags of clothes, a jacket, and some shoes for awesome prices, and they were sizes 12 and 10! I have not worn a ten in about ten years!!

On weird thing- I am noticing that I am sooooo hungry today. My stomach wil NOT stop rumbling! I just finished my fifth week of following IP protocol with alternative products, and I am down 21 pounds. (Yay!) However, what is with this hunger? It is also my TOM, but I did not notice this much hunger last month. I am having my three meals and one snack. Crazy! I mean, an hour and a half after eating my cereal packet, my stomach was rumbling so loudy that all my students could hear it! Any clues? Thanks!

Renee
  • Quote: I drink Sparkling Ice. I buy it at Sams Club or Walmart. I think Costco carries it as well. They have a lot of flavors; Strawberry/Kiwi, Coconut/Pinapple, Grapefruit, Orange/Mango, Lemon/Lime, and several others.....and it is IP compliant.
    Just looked it up. Am going to try it! Love their colourful webpage design.
  • Quote: Vachinyc - there's a dynamic in families and everyone has a role - some are built and some are forced on you. I was the chubby pretty one who was going to be barefoot and pregnant by the time I was 16. So, BA at 20, MA at 22, bought my first house at 26.....and they sometimes still treat me like the chubby pretty airhead they decided was my role in the family dynamic.

You've got the role in your family of being the overweight one maybe - and if you aren't overweight and are actively working to change that, you upset the whole dynamic - so siblings, parents, even spouses sometimes try to say and do things to force you back into your designated role. Most of the time, they don't even know they're doing it. So be mindful of this, so when it happens, you can kinda sit back and say to yourself "ahhh, this is the whole role thing and I'm breaking character and they're struggling with it." It's not that they want you to be necessarily a certain way, it's that if your role changes and does so at your will, what does that mean about them? Hang in there, I think you look MARVELOUS!
    Fabulous advice!
  • Quote: I hit goal this morning! 50 lbs lost since May 13th!
    Big Hugs!!! So proud!!! Whooooo-hooooooo!!!!!!
  • Quote: NSV for me was going through my closet this weekend and trying on all the pants I have. All my 16s are getting a little baggy and the 14s are tight but I can get them on!!! I put all my 18s in a pile to donate. It made me quite anxious and I kept thinking that I should keep a couple just in case but then I thought, if I ever have to buy size 18 pants again, then I deserve to have to go and buy them!
    I'm "in" my 18s again! and, they're starting to feel a little loose... so I decided to do the same as you in about 10 more pounds. I haven't even gotten that far and I have anxiety about getting rid of my 18s, 20s, and even 22s!! (last time I put everything in my garage for Goodwill and ended up digging it out again!!) What is wrong with that thinking?? b/c you're right, if I get to that size again, I deserve to go buy new clothes to wear!! Just had never thought of it that way before...
  • Ok so a customer said you know the "heavy set" girl!!!!! I was thinking oh you just wait!!! Some people are just so rude!!!