The Canada Thread - Vol. 2

You're on Page 34 of 34
Go to
  • RA 2, I grew up with the same idea that they were the same thing! And I would like to try the real turnip because I've always loved rutabaga, but I've never seen it anywhere in my current local stores (small, isolated community with limited options)

I hope you enjoy the turnip fries!
  • Strange, isn't it? Rutabaga has much more flavor and deeper orange color, which is funny because I read that it's supposed to be a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. Turnip tastes more like cabbage. I steamed some and it's a bit bland. I only see them whole in the store, much smaller than the rutabaga, until I discovered the mini bags. You can tell the mini bags are turnip by the color.
  • Hello fellow Canadians. I started my weight loss journey over ten years ago and lost 100 pounds (started at 251 lbs) but I have not been able to lose any more after this. I started my IP journey last week and started losing again. I have been reading these posts for hours and I just love it! Here's to a great journey !
  • Quote:
    One of my local grocery stores has always labeled their rutabaga as turnip, and I grew up always thinking I was eating turnip when I was eating rutabaga. It wasn't until this reboot where I read the rutabaga was a once a week vegetable that I realized I had been overeating the rutabaga! The good news is yesterday, I discovered mini turnip in small bags like the mini carrots, so am going to try the turnip fries with those.
    I also spent my entire life thinking rutabaga's were turnips!!! I'm sure the local grocery always labeled them as such. Do you think it's a Canadian thing or maybe an east coast thing?
  • Quote: Hello fellow Canadians. I started my weight loss journey over ten years ago and lost 100 pounds (started at 251 lbs) but I have not been able to lose any more after this. I started my IP journey last week and started losing again. I have been reading these posts for hours and I just love it! Here's to a great journey !
    Hi. Best wishes for a successful time on IP. I just started last week as well and am really happy with my first week and how I'm feeling.
  • Welcome Loser13 & Bagchick! Wishing you lots of success.

Here on the east coast, Superstore labels rutabaga correctly, and Sobeys labels them as turnip. I've only seen the mini turnip at Sobeys, and it is labelled correctly.
  • Thanks RA 2 and bagchick.
    Here (ontario) at NoFrills rutabaga is labelled correctly.

Went to GNC Last week and they had quest chips (not bbq)...3.99...went to get a few more bags this week..none left....the guy said that they sold out in two days.

Got some of kays at lowcarb (1.70)...pretty good...lots of crunch. Thye deliver FAST.
  • Hi fellow Canadians!

Just restarted IP for the second time. Does anyone here order anything online? I used to purchase additional food on Nashua Nutrition, but given the terrible exchange rate, and the fact that I almost always get dinged on customs, I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives?

Thanks and good luck to you all!