1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner! Sept 2013

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I missed yesterday...yuck. Sister came over and my day was just shot...lost motivation.

Doing it now!
  • Hey! There's loads of runners now, yay!

I'm on week 7 day 2, (so 25 mins running). The last one killed me because I wore full jogging trousers at the warm gym - stupid idea! In the last couple of weeks I've left my temporary work and have been saying goodbye to a lot of people (because I'm moving back to university, which is in Ireland rather than England where I've been spending my summer) so my diet has been baaad and so has my exercise routine. But I've managed a few gym sessions and I'm glad for it. I actually find I'm missing them!! But I also find that I'm not as motivated to do C25K now that it's just the boring big chunks of running. But hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated!

Crazycatwoman - OOoh the 5 week day 3 mark! I think you should go for it. You can do it. Your body is ready, you just need confidence and stubborness. Just keep thinking how pleased with yourself you'll be if you manage to do it first time. And how great it'll feel to tell your friends or us that you have just ran 20 mins straight! I know I told far too many people before the run that I couldn't NOT do it ha ha. Just take it way slower than you think you'll need to (I previously ran at 9kmph and turned it down to 7.5kmph for it! It was slower than I needed but at least I got through it! You can always speed it up half way through if you're feeling cocky :P). You'll be fine!

SkinnyBee - No judgements here.. I've been slacking lately! (see above :P) Good luck!
  • I am in shock.

I did it! The evil nasty hideous 20min wk5 day 3 !!!! I can't quite believe it. It was at a pace which a turtle would beat, but so what! 6.8km/h is better than 6.5km/h......

I plugged myself in to a podcast - a radio show rather than music - and set the timer to go off on the phone, and put the phone face down. After what I though was 10 minutes I snuck a look at the phone: 7 mins. My heart sank. I thought there was no way I could make it. I just told myself to carry on, and then it dawned on me the timer was counting down and i had 7 minutes to go, not 7 minutes had passed... So I kept going and going and was so amazed at the end I couldn't even smile.

So one more mini-goal: I have 'run' a mile. Well, more than that. Okay, it's on a treadmill and another mini-goal will be running outside, but this is great for today.

Cantgetenoughchoc -I want to be catching you ! And trying different gym clothes too, and speeds. I have to admit, now I know i can do a 'longer' chunk of time, I am also worried about my motivation.

Thank you everyone for the moral support.
  • Just did day 1 of week 4 using the ease into 5k app. On that one it was a 4 min run, 90 or 120 sec walk, I can't remember, then 6 min run, then walk and another 4 min run.

Week 3 the longest run is 3 mins. I thought no way. Well I did it today and feel great. I am so glad I bought Adidas Boost shoes. They cost a ton, but being overweight I didn't want to mess around. They are very comfortable and cushioning. Maybe I will actually be able to do a 5k. The 6 mins was huge for me.
  • Quote: Just did day 1 of week 4 using the ease into 5k app. On that one it was a 4 min run, 90 or 120 sec walk, I can't remember, then 6 min run, then walk and another 4 min run.

Week 3 the longest run is 3 mins. I thought no way. Well I did it today and feel great. I am so glad I bought Adidas Boost shoes. They cost a ton, but being overweight I didn't want to mess around. They are very comfortable and cushioning. Maybe I will actually be able to do a 5k. The 6 mins was huge for me.
    Congratulations! You're doing great!
  • How is everyone doing ? It's gone quiet...

I 'peaked' at a 30 min continuous run/waddle o the treadmill, and then got a stomach bug so had to have a few days off. That knocked me back and I am struggling with the longer stretches. And today I just wimped out after 10 mins and went along with a brisk walk.

After getting annoyed with myself I gave myself a talking to - even 3 months ago I couldn't run at all, so this is still great progress and I need to keep motivated.
  • Hope I'm not too late to join the party! I did C25k a few years ago but didn't finish the program. Well, now I'm down almost 50lbs and giving it another try! I just finished week 1 tonight, on to week 2 Wednesday
  • Welcome amt6 - all are welcome to join the party!

Good luck for Wednesday - keep us posted
  • I finished week 2 yesterday I actually felt really great and didn't want to quit the entire time. Nervous about week 3 as it really steps up from 90 seconds to a 3 minute jog. I'm sure I can do it though!
  • It's gone really quiet here so I was wondering how everyone was doing....

I got to week 8 (on a treadmill) and realised I was hating the long runs, even with podcasts and music. I was waddling along at less than 7 km/h too so decided I would work on my speed a bit. For the last couple of weeks I have done two 1km intervals at whatever speed it takes (I am comfortably at 8km/h now . not fast, but I am happy). I have a 2min walk in between. This doesn't take up so much time, builds my stamina at speed and makes me feel i am achieving something. I am working towards being able to run outside when the snow clears in spring, and for that I need better knees to cope with the impacts, so I figure higher speed will help build strength.

I still want to run a 5km, and even a 10km. I know I can do 5km on a treadmill now, but kind of got bored with it. But, I don't feel like I have given up as I am still running 3 times a week at least.

So what's happening with everyone else ?
  • Hey!

I feel huge guilt coming onto this thread.... for I have failed. I got to uni and... went to the gym 3 times over the last 3 months. And so I've quit my membership, cause I couldn't really afford it. I'm really disappointed with myself, but... I just didn't make time for it. It's my own fault. :/

I've lost 3lb this term, which I am a bit confused about cause I was convinced I'd put weight back on. But now I am starting to think it was muscle that I lost. Cause if anything I look flabbier :P ... So stick at your running!! It's got so many benefits!

But I am really happy to see that you've carried on CrazyCatLady! I'd like to say that I'll go back to uni after christmas and take up running outside... but... I'm probably not going to :P Hopefully I'll return to it one day when I've got a bit more time and a bit more money, cause it's such a good programme and I really did enjoy it while I did it!
  • Started week 4 day 1 this morning. Loved it. I was so worried I couldn't hack it but I am improving. One thing I realized is that if I try keep a slow and steady pace I will feel so much better at the end and the results are usually better.