Any online business owners?

• I would like to start an online business. I have been doing lots of research, finding sources for merchandise and completing my business plan. I really want this but I am hitting a wall when it comes to a business license. I have read that you need one, you don't need one, you only need one for certain business models... Which is correct? Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • Best thing to do would be to contact your City Hall and find out from them.
  • I own an online business and I have a sales license. I only use it for tax purposes. (I was given a number and I'm asked for that number when I do my taxes -- similar to a SS#). Check with your state government website. It's very easy. So, don't stress over it!!! If your state has an online form for it, then you probably need one.
  • You should get in touch with your state's Small Business Development Center (SBDC). They are a wealth of information! Mine has tons of classes (sometimes free, sometimes low cost) and great councilors that can help guide businesses at all stages of development.