The New Beginnings DeCluttering Thread -- NOW to Dec 31, 2013.

You're on Page 8 of 14
Go to
  • Still continuing my filing project. This is going to take awhile. But it's going, now, after just sitting there for months, so I'm thrilled.

November organizing tasks log:
    1. Organize writing stuff
    2. Finish organizing writing stuff
    3. Implement new scheme for time management
    4. 10 minutes filing project
    5. 18 minutes filing project
    6. 10 minutes filing project
    7. 10 minutes filing project
  • We're all doing so well!

Georgia, my mother (now 88) has had similar experiences to you and holds your view. She's been rationalising her belongings for a number of years now.

Today I'll sort out the little freezer. The plasterer turned off the electricity last week and there's too much ice in it. I may also implement a system (with labels!) to make sure different things go in different drawers. Any ideas about what would work in labelling freezer drawers? I have a feeling that stick-on labels would fall off and writing on the drawers themselves would smudge. Though perhaps not, if the drawer was dry to start with and the writing was in an out-of-the-way place.

5 - emptied and put away the suitcases and other bags
    6 - cleaned sitting room window and window ledge
    7 - reconciled bank account, did all the sewing
  • Feeling positive!
    silverbirch, I mark items in my freezer with masking tape/permanent marker. I don't have drawers, though, so I'm marking each individual container/item when it goes in. The masking tape comes off easily when I'm ready to use a new container and it stays on while in the freezer. I write the ingredient and month/year.

Today we will continue painting/cleaning. I will make an appt. to discuss carpet and make a trip to a "restore" to look for materials. We got alot done yesterday and I'm noting how positive I feel about the process right now and am remembering how great it felt when I dealt with something at home everyday, too. My home continues to stay organized and clean during this rental process and I note, too, how much easier it is to go out and get things accomplished when I have a clean and organized home to return to. credit.

November "Project" Daily Log (rental #1, #2, #3)
    1.change locks(#3),wash all floor vents(#2), test floor stain(#2)
    2. Drive up and check heat after work (real job)
    3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
    4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
    5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
    ETA-listed to piano which was left at(#2) with local free cycle group
    6. Figured out new configuration for carpet/linoleum replacement (#3)
    7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter.
  • silverbirch: I've used these for food labels -- they stay on forever and they're erasable: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/?productId=10009870 I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK. I bought them from The Container Store, but these on Amazon look like the same thing: http://www.amazon.com/Jokari-47826-E.../dp/B002MPH4OG

I did my filing for today -- but only because I wanted to report it here. I haven't made a plan for tomorrow, but I just put filing on the sheet where I will make a plan.

• Sketchy internet....lost my post. I accomplished my goals yesterday and will update later. Today I work my real job and my only task afterwards will be to drive to the project and assess the painting that will happen on the floor today in preparation for new carpet.
  • Thanks for your suggestions about freezer labels. We're good about labelling everything which goes into the freezer but I want to label the drawers to read things like "bread" "fish" "meat" "veg" and so on.

Today I'll cook the Seville oranges I took out of the freezer, as the first step towards making marmalade.

8 - sorted out little freezer
  • Tomorrow (Sunday) I'll make the marmalade. It's going to be ginger marmalade. I've never made it in two steps like this. It feels remarkably relaxed - that's a feeling I like a lot!

9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
  • I almost skipped my filing today. I did skip most of my other normal routines and structures after a an overindulgent night and very little sleep. But I reached a point in the day where it just made sense, so I did it -- I even went long because I let a TV show I was watching play in the background and I kept going until it was finished.

More filing tomorrow because this is working!

8. 20 minutes filing project
  • I updated progress on my "log". I did get something done I didn't think I would yesterday. credit. Today I "work" again and don't think I'll do more than go up and check on things. I'm keeping my home picked up; kitchen clean, laundry done, bed made. Those simple things do help my home to be a "sanctuary" when I come home from these complex and seemingly never ending projects.credit.

3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
    4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
    5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
    7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
    8. carpet process started...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting
    9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out.
  • I had DH get down 3 plastic bins from the upper closet shelves for me. I think 4 items went in the wash, 1 item (the leather A-line skirt I can't bring myself to part with even though it is out of style and doesn't fit) went back up high, and the rest got donated.

I had a large bag's worth of clothes accumulating in the closet (the ones that get piled up when I try to wear it in the morning and discover it's too big for me) and another large bag from this morning's work. I had 3 boxes from the basement work I did last weekend--and now all of that stuff is out of the house forever.

I also caught up on my inbox yesterday, so the paperwork is up to date.

I feel pretty productive.
  • A friend called and talked for an hour today. Fortunately, about ten minutes in, I realized I could work on the filing. It wasn't the most efficient work, but I managed to get quite a lot done in that time.

I'm going to take a few days off filing in order to handle some other chores. Tomorrow's big job is to go out to the cabin (almost an hour each way) and winterize it before the freeze this week.

8. 10 minutes filing project
    9: 20 minutes filing project
    10: 50 minutes filing project
  • I didn't manage to make the marmalade as I had a rush editing/translation job to do. I'll make it today - or at least take the next step. The DB has offered to help me and we've got chili con carne from the freezer for tea (also made by him, come to think of it - I'll keep him!)

9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade
    10 - unplanned editing and translation
  • wow. very inspiring.
    Hello Everyone.

I love the on-going list-making going on here! *credit for all the *credits* being taken! I totally relate to this kind of chunking down of chores. It is the only method that has ever worked for me as I get lost in the big picture very easily and even more quickly, demoralized by the vastness of it all! Awesome.

I got word that my new studio walls have been erected. 8' of drywall on my one major wall and then another 4 or so feet at right angles to it. I now have two expanses of smooth surfaces I can work on. The plan is to keep these spaces EMPTY except for ongoing artwork. I need somewhere to tack up large sheets of paper to draw on, and also to pin up prints as I create them to see what they are trying to tell me. VERY EXCITED this is now done. Can't wait to see the walls tomorrow.

This now brings me to the task of *removing what is not needed right now* from the studio. I'm going to get a locker afterall. I have sorted through the studio stuff 3x now and I also have the additional problem of where to keep the new work I will produce. It's just not great to be rolling everything up all the time. DH is now filling the empty spaces I created in the apartment. He even has pvc pipe lying in the hallway--no wonder we've been together 23 years--we're kind of the same. So, I mention this only to say there is no room for anything of mine to come back into the apartment. I will re-assess the storage locker after 6 months.

Our bedroom is ridiculous right now as well re: clothes and baskets of clothes. I just haven't taken the hour or two that it needs to put everything away and to sort the rest.

And, still, box mountain 2.0 remains for me to deal with.

My goal for the bulk of these projects is Dec 4th. I leave for Florida Dec 5th. I want to come back to an organized place and not to have these issues still dogging me -- though if it takes until Dec 31st that's ok too. I'm happy to be focusing here again once more.

silverbirch where are the seville oranges from? Did you get them in Seville??
  • Yesterday I called homedepotcredit and made necessary changes to the account. I accomplished it before work or it wouldn't have happened. We traveled last night and I'm taking a few days off....much needed. I will accomplish something each day while I'm here. No matter what project I'm working on even the small stuff keeps me moving forward.

7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
    8. carpet process started...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting
    9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out.
    10. did home chores before work. Sunday....no work at the rental projects
    11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting so I put them back before leaving.
  • Another rush editing/translation job to do yesterday. I'm working on the marmalade today.

onebyone, Seville oranges are the name we give to bitter oranges for marmalade. They arrive here from Seville (Spain) in late January, February and I buy them to freeze for when I've got time to make marmalade. They're only around for a couple of weeks so you have to move fast. I've made some this year but things got away from me rather as the months progressed. This is the last but one bag I'm dealing with now. Oranges lose their pectin in the freezer so I'll have to add lemon juice to make it set.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange

ETA I've sliced the peel and simmered the pith and pips to get more pectin out. Realistically, I can't do any more today as I'll be away at a funeral for two days and have to get ready. Also take the DB for a haircut this pm. Will put it back in freezer till the weekend. Credit for realism.

9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
    10 - unplanned editing and translation
    11 - unplanned editing and translation