The New Beginnings DeCluttering Thread -- NOW to Dec 31, 2013.

You're on Page 10 of 14
Go to
  • I've updated my log...finding it really helpful to have an ongoing list of what I've accomplished.
    This morning I meet with heating guy to evaluate furnace(#3). He's also going to show me how to relight pilots and change filters. I've already been to the project twice...once to look at drywall/spray job (not very professional, in my opinion) and second time to crawl to the furnace in the basement and install new light bulbs, while getting oriented before the heater guy comes.
    I've also had some time this morning to catch up around the house. I'll do a bit more before the 10am appt. Credit. I'm finding the immensity of the project far easier when my own space is clean and organized.

November "Project" Daily Log (rental #1, #2, #3)
    1.change locks(#3),wash all floor vents(#2), test floor stain(#2)
    2. Drive up and check heat after work (real job)
    3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
    4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
    5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
    ETA-listed to piano which was left at(#2) with local free cycle group
    6. Figured out new configuration for carpet/linoleum replacement (#3)
    7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
    8. carpet process started (#2&3)...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning(#2) and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting#1/3)
    9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out. (#2)
    10. did home chores before work. Sunday....no work at the rental projects
    11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting (#3) so I put them back before leaving.
    12. Ended vitamixprocrastination and resolved ongoing issue.
    13. Called and made appt. for carpet measure,(#2/3) called and ordered install for new gas meter,(my own rental) **successfully**took apart plumbing and fixed my own tub drip.
    14. Worked on my bathroom tub reno at swimhouse for 1 hr and traveled over to meet carpet measurer.
    15. Put together project payroll and got checks issued and distributed. Returned message from H.Depot regarding carpet, wrote check and delivered to heater guy, initiated process of ordering extra cabinet necessary for furnace ducting. ETA-set up appt.(next Tues) for heating guy to come check out and explain complicated furnaces(one which isn't working) (#2)
    16. household chores and reorganization of personal rental file.
    17. Wrote a very thought out email to drywall guy re:finishing #1
    18. Trip to HDepot to pay for carpets, p/u linoleum and 5 gal. paint
    19. Meet w/heating guy re: furnace at #3
  • Got back to my filing project. I intend to do more tomorrow.

November organizing tasks log:
    1. Organize writing stuff
    2. Finish organizing writing stuff
    3. Implement new scheme for time management
    4. 10 minutes filing project
    5. 18 minutes filing project
    6. 10 minutes filing project
    7. 10 minutes filing project
    8. 10 minutes filing project
    9: 20 minutes filing project
    10: 50 minutes filing project
    11: Winterize and bring home things from the cabin
    12: Work with DH to organize travel supplies
    13: Prep for cleaning crew
    14: 10 minutes filing
    15: 25 minutes filing
    16: 10 minutes filing
    17: clean up sticks from wind storm
    18: phone calls
    19: 10 minutes filing
  • Good morning! I've been slogging my way back to equilibrium since I returned from my aunt's funeral. As soon as I returned the SO had to leave for a few days with his recently bereaved father. The DB has been battling with a virus for about three weeks, going to school, not going to school and he's still got it. We haven't recovered from the plastering we had done when we went to France and I've decided that we probably shan't get there until after Christmas - realism in the face of other demands. I could go on but you get the picture. I've done a lot of good things each day but things are far from straight.

Today I'm going to move my too-small clothes out of the way to a trunk upstairs. They are in a vacuum-packed envelope so they don't take up much space but it's still too much in the tiny bedroom. My aim is to see what winter clothes I do have. I also hope to find my pair of winter trousers. Yes, I only have one pair.

Onward, friends!

5 - emptied and put away the suitcases and other bags
    6 - cleaned sitting room window and window ledge
    7 - reconciled bank account, did all the sewing
    8 - sorted out little freezer
    9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
    10 - unplanned editing and translation
    11 - unplanned editing and translation
    12 - sliced peel, cooked pith & seeds for pectin, added lemon juice and froze Seville oranges
    13 - hair cut
    14 - funeral
    15-19 catching up, dealing with funeral fall-out etc
  • Silverbirch, very sorry about your family's loss

I have to admit that as I was skimmnig this thread, I incorrectly interpreted each posting's numeral listings as daily credit listings : As in, I didn't realize that on the 17th, folks were listing their accomplishments up to that date, I thought that post was what one had accomplished on that one day

But I am still encouraged by what you all have accomplished and your daily commitments!

Lexxiss I can imagine that your drive for the rental projects can only be accomplished because your home is in good shape due to your efforts

I have today and tomorrow off and I need to keep my resolve at going into that back porch and hauling out more and dealing with it.

Have a wonderful, productive, de-cluttery day!
  • If I may peek in.

Nov 19 - 30 minutes of organizing files to help find receipts from previous appliance purchases.
  • Bill! Good luck with the back porch, Holly!

I've moved the clothes I don't need at present. Now my big drawer opens so much more easily. I found my winter trousers, misfiled in the exercise clothes box. And I shall be giving away a cheap pair of exercise trousers which have never flattered me and I thought once that I'd fit into and look great. This has never happened as I'm still the same shape as I was and those cut-off type trousers do nothing at all for me. So out they go.

Tomorrow I'll sort out my shoes and put away my sandals. The time has come for that.

9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
    12 - sliced peel, cooked pith & seeds for pectin, added lemon juice and froze Seville oranges
    13 - hair cut
    14 - funeral
    20 - put too-small clothes into storage and found winter trousers
  • Sorry for your family's loss, Silverbirch. Good for you for taking time to deal with the fall-out and moving forward.

Welcome, BillBlueEyes!

VermontMom, hope the effort on your back porch is going well.

I got in my filing today and intend to work on it again tomorrow.

20: 10 minutes filing
  • Yesterday we painted, and will hopefully finish today(#1). My helper and I are going to figure out and start linoleum(#3) so carpet installation can be scheduled. Heating guy called re: my own project and gas meter hasn't been installed. I need to call energy co. TODAY!

At home, things got astray as I walked out the door at 6am and didn't return until 5. I went to bed early so I could get back on track at home this morning before work. Credit.

I started some negative thinking this morning...these projects should be wrapping up sooner. I squelched the thoughts, after reviewing my daily log. I am doing the best I am able with this daunting project. credit.

3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
    4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
    5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
    7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
    8. carpet process started (#2&3)...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning(#2) and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting#1/3)
    9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out. (#2)
    11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting (#3) so I put them back before leaving.
    13. Called and made appt. for carpet measure,(#2/3) called and ordered install for new gas meter,(my own rental) **successfully**took apart plumbing and fixed my own tub drip.
    14. Worked on my bathroom tub reno at swimhouse for 1 hr and traveled over to meet carpet measurer.
    15. Put together project payroll and got checks issued and distributed. Returned message from H.Depot regarding carpet, wrote check and delivered to heater guy, initiated process of ordering extra cabinet necessary for furnace ducting. ETA-set up appt.(next Tues) for heating guy to come check out and explain complicated furnaces(one which isn't working) (#2)
    20. Paint (#1), called helper to set up linoleum project for 21st (#2)
  • Lexxiss: You are doing great! I'm finding the log useful for that sort of thing as well. What I can do every day is what I do and there is progress being made. It all adds up. My wanting it done faster doesn't mean that was ever possible.

Today, in my filing project, I came across a napkin with notes on it! I refused to file it. DH thought it was funny so he scanned it.

Tomorrow is a busy day, but I can surely find 10 minutes to keep going on this project.

21: 15 minutes filing
  • Been busy moving forward with my mother's house renovations. The entire interior has been cleared out, it was pasteurized to kill mold and termites, and now we're in the process of tossing out trash. Still a lot of work to get done, but it's nice to finally see some progress.

One thing I'm realizing is that this work is going to take a lot longer than I expected. I get angry every day that I'm working on someone else's life and not mine. Somehow I need to turn this around for myself, or I'll be mired in emotional eating when the days are just a little too tough to handle.
  • Still filing!

22: 10 minutes filing
  • Today I go back to my real job. I forgot a necessary email yesterday so I did that and set my sights for picking up the house before I leave. Yesterday we found two drips under the sink (#1) and determined we need a new hot water heater so I will talk to my plumber who comes to the restaurant every day.

20. Paint (#1), called helper to set up linoleum project for 21st (#2)
    21. Finished current phase of painting, pulled and folded tarps and washed floors(#1). Made phone calls to inspector and energy co which resulted in meter install.
    22. Took mom up for tour of progress, hauled accumulated trash (#1), met with linoleum installer and took major returns to Hdepot. Met in evening w/furnace man to test new furnace at my personal project.
    23. Emailed necessary instructions to linoleum installer and did major p/u at home.
  • I plan to finish the shoe/sandal job today.

13 - hair cut
    14 - funeral
    20 - put too-small clothes into storage and found winter trousers
    21 - unplanned work
    22 - did half of the shoe/sandal job
  • Still filing! Today is the 40th day in a row that I've done something. That's motivating!

22: 10 minutes filing
    23: 15 minutes filing
  • Quote: One thing I'm realizing is that this work is going to take a lot longer than I expected. I get angry every day that I'm working on someone else's life and not mine. Somehow I need to turn this around for myself, or I'll be mired in emotional eating when the days are just a little too tough to handle.
    I can really empathize with this! I get angry at working so hard at taking care of my family's inattention. It's difficult.