August Feather's Chat

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Hi all, checking in after about 6 weeks away from here.

I've been away from home absolutely heaps with 2 weeks in uk catching up with family then home for 1 day then off to a mine in west Australia for 10 days, then home for the weekend then off to a mine in South Australia for a week then home 3 days then been in Melbourne this week and next week I'm away working away again all week.

So after all that my weight has stayed steady and in fact I've lost about a pound.

This is an absolute miracle and makes no sense other than it seems to show me how much the body will dampen inputs and stay steady! In other words I can go pretty hard on the dieting and my body hardly changes and losing is so slow for me, but on the upside I can have 6 weeks 'off' with about 50% more calories, and not change either.

Anyway the fact that I've 'got away with it' has inspired me to get stuck in to the discipline again and try for some more losses as I still can't fit in to my old work trousers.

Exercise has been bad with all that travelling too, so feeling quite good weight-wise but unfit and untoned....

Anyway, it's good to be here again and hope to check in more regularly after my trip next week.

Good to see you others on here but the thread looks quite quiet at mo!
  • well, I've done well the last few days! Not only that, but I feel good! There seems to be a click or a shift in my mind and I hope it continues! It's like I'm trying really hard to eat in a way that makes me feel good inside. So what I know works for me is eating a high protein breakfast of eggs, for example. Then eating tons of vegetables the rest of the day in the form of salads/stirfries/soups. With some protein and definitely healthy fat, etc. So my high vacation weight is dropping (3 pounds in two days) and that's with having some wine at night (which does help me from eating other things).

But my big triumph is that last night I went out with friends and it was supposed to be for dinner, but I wanted to eat my healthy dinner first (on a Friday night! Yes, I didn't give into the "I deserve a treat because it's Friday night" loop). So I had a veggie stirfry and some homemade guacamole (yum, avocado). So when I went out, all I ordered was a little side salad and had a glass of wine and I was FINE. I didn't want more, even when people were offering me nachos, etc.

Maybe something has clicked at last? We'll see. I need to give it more time and make sure the momentum continues. But once I get into the thing where I'm losing weight AND feeling good inside it will be easier to stick with it.

I do need to get my exercise really going again, though. Geesh. It's all about the laziness of changing clothes and getting outside or whatever.

@ange - welcome back! Wow, that's a lot of traveling! And congrats on maintaining your weight!

@cattails - sorry about the arthritis stuff. THat is so hard to deal with stuff like that (pain) and not want to eat pleasurable stuff. Yes on the eating for health. When I've shifted the focus to eating to FEEL good, something seems to have clicked more. I hope it continues, because I am feeling good right now and not tempted to go off plan. In fact, I'm looking forward to my vegetably lunch and dinner!
  • Oh gosh feathers! So much has been going on and I just got back from a week long cruise. I daren't even step on the scales after a week of constant food! yikes. Maybe at the end of the month I'll be brave enough to look...
  • wow, the vacation weight is falling off me so far during the last four days of eating really healthy. I get that it's impossible to lose almost 5 real weight pounds in four days, but it's great that the water weight is exiting at least. It makes me feel way less bloated. I'm .8 pound from my first minigoal, haha! (I made the first one easy because I knew it would be pretty easy to get back there, that's where my body has wanted to settle during the last year or so, alas).

@Leaves - whoo hoo, welcome back. I would give it about five days of really healthy eating. Then you'll give the water weight a chance to move.
  • @ Leaves - Omg, cruise food is the best AND the worst, isn't it? Fingers crossed that the damage isn't too bad.

@ ange - Hi there and kudos on maintaining so well - that's really encouraging!

@ olehcat - Woo-hoo, good going on shedding vacation weight! It seems like once your body starts losing, there's a momentum that can carry you along, for a while at least; hope you can ride the wave to some of your minigoals! Kowabunga!

I'm continuing to eat as normal, though trying to cut back a little since I haven't been exercising through this flareup. That's the worst part, really; I hate having things interfere with my routines. But such is life, and this too shall pass. This 'life happening' is why I work hard when I feel good, so when I don't, I can afford to take however long off of exercise. Sure would like to get back to jogging and strength training, though, before I lose much condition - little that there is!

Hope everyone has a terrific week.
  • well, I'm up a little today, back to 151.2, but I'm not changing my ticker because I know that it's water weight. Yesterday I did well, but I did have stuff that was higher in sodium, and I did have a handful of potato chips with guacamole. However, I did avoid an ice-cream situation and I didn't have any sweets except for a piece of dark chocolate.

Ugh, I can't seem to get back into running (schedule-wise). My routine is changing right now because I'm back into "school year mode" instead of summer mode. I have to get that under control. Normally I would exercise after school, but today we have a special event in the late afternoon/evening, blah blah blah. I do have a "date" to meet a friend for walking on Tuesday after school. We usually walk around 4-5 miles. I need to get my strength training back up again, too.

@cattails - I hope your pain goes away really soon so that you can get back into your fitness! That would be so frustrating!
  • Two more days of vacation left for me. . I'm wanting to really relax for my last few days, but I do have some things that need to get done too. My plan today is to take care of some errands then go for a mani/pedi. My exercise routine is waaay off (i.e. nonexistent for the last month). I just got out of my routine because of my vacation. I promised myself that as soon as my new book arrives, the workouts will start up again. Like Olehcat, I'll be getting back into a routine again once I'm back to the school schedule. I'm not sure why, but I'm sort of dreading it. I know I've lost some of my muscles and feel like I'm going to be starting over.
  • ugh, I meant to run as soon as I got home from school yesterday but I was so wiped out I couldn't think of it. This will end as I get used to the new routine but I'm still disappointed. Today I have a "date" to walk with a friend after school, so at least I'm committed to getting out there and moving.

I'm so frustrated that I am 151 this morning. What? I ate perfectly yesterday so why is the water weight from Sunday's dinner still on? Why does it take so long to get off and so easy to put on? I wouldn't be so anal about speed if I wasn't so close to minigoal #1 and wasn't so grossed out by being in the 150s (which is VERY high for me). I need to get through today with all engines going. I WILL break through that. I never want to see the 150s again. I am fully to blame for it. I let myself creep up this summer, but I really want to leave it in the dust. Am determined.

@moving on - good luck with getting your new routine going, too!
  • Olehcat--Hang in there. Today is my last day of vacation. We are both going through that start of the school year settling in phase. Be kind to yourself. My new book showed up yesterday and I haven't worked out yet because "I'm reading it first. Ha!". Thanks for the encouragement. We can do this!
  • Hello Feathers,

So much has been going on. First of all, I made it down to 137.2 lbs a couple of times, with 137.0 lbs being my lowest weight since 2011, which means I have considered myself out of the 140s. I've been eating enough of the right food and I try not to restrict myself when it comes to sweets. So far it's been working very well for me. Also, I've been exercising with our weights at home. Luckily, we own enough heavy barbells! I made stretching part of my exercise routine (wanna be able to do a split one day, HAH!) and I go for the occasional jog (need to work on that..).

DH and I celebrated our first anniversary on Saturday We went to a breakfast buffet, BOY DID I EAT A LOT! - croissants with Nutella, pancakes with cherries, rolls, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, vanilla pudding, mmhmm, I know! It was delicioso though And then we had dinner at a fancy Greek restaurant. It was awesome! Unfortunately, I forgot to take my birth control pill that night. I noticed on Sunday night when I was about to take the BCP for that day, so I had to take 2 at the same time. Needless to say, I was having HUGE and I mean HUUUGEEE cravings on Monday. I managed to stay strong until we went grocery shopping. I picked up so much junk food and continued to eat rolls with Nutella and jam and coconut macaroons at home. TMI - I was bleeding that morning and felt really bloated.

My weight went back up to 142.2 lbs this morning which obviously comes from all the food sitting in my belly plus no BM plus feeling bloated, still. I told myself, I have to stay OP today! I can't screw everything up now that I've been doing so well. One of my goals is to make it to 136 lbs before the month ends and I won't get there if I continue to gobble down so much sugary stuff. So, even though I had cravings again, I managed to eat well and workout. The cravings went away while I was eating lunch after work and I was very thankful for that.

I'm hoping to get back down to <140 lbs soon. I despise the 140s!

----

I have read up on everyone and will catch up with personals soon. I have to get up at 4am so I'm gonna eat a little post-workout meal, hop in the shower and then it's time to get some sleep.

• Woke up feeling better, yay! So I pulled on the old walking shoes and went for a mile and a half, then strength trained. Feels so good to use my body again! I'll do more walking tomorrow and take up jogging again in a couple days so as to ease back in gently.

@olehcat - I hear ya on the water weight; sometimes it does take two or three days to shed that off. Patience and clean eating will get you there! Trust the process, as they say - with your determination, you've got this.

@Moving Forward - Nothing wrong with getting psyched up by reading about the routines first - you'll be back to it just as soon as you're ready.

@Hoopty - congrats on your first anniversary! Mm, sounds like an awesome buffet, wow! I think I just gained a couple pounds reading about it. Here's hoping some of the good stuff has gotten out of your system by now. LOL
  • Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's new cat!

• krampus - Look at that little thing, so frigging cute!! And that's coming from a person who hates cats because I'm scared of them, lol!

Cattails - Doesn't it feel amazing to slowly get back into exercising? I just started running again myself, went again today, and it just makes you feel so accomplished. The breakfast buffet was so amazing that we plan on going back in about 3 weeks from now

---

Happy to report that my weight went back down to 139.8 lbs this morning! I was OP today even though I was a little high in carbs. I did go for a 3.2 mile jog though, so all is good! And I managed to have 2 BM's, oh yeah. My boobies are super sore, cravings are still there and I can't wait for this hormonal roller coaster to just END! Hoping to see another low(er) number on the scale in the AM.
  • Okay, I need, need, need to get a good exercise program going! I have not been able to get it going since I got back from vacation. That's not to say that I've been inactive. The first week of school is always very active, lots of walking around. Plus I've met a friend to walk one day and I've gone swimming in my pool a few times after school (it's super hot here). But it's not sweaty, lifting, muscley working out, if you know what I mean and it's probably not for long enough. I MISS my running and want to get back to it but it's hard when it's in the 90s, even for indoor running.

Ugh, I'm still hovering right at that 150 border. I REALLY want to break 150 again and permanently. Like as in forever. I mean I'm 1.4 from my first minigoal. Why is it so hard, ugh. You have NO idea how many things I have turned down this week. Doughnuts almost every day this week, FRESH doughnuts, the kind I like, freshly made chocolate chip cookies, other random temptations. I've turned them ALL down this week so I expect a bit of reward for that!

@krampus - CUTE CAT OMG!!!!!!!! What a darling! I really adore my two cats and they are excellent entertainment and company! You're gonna have a good time!

@cattails - so glad you're feeling better!

@hoopty - sounds like things are going really well in general for you! Excellent!!!
  • kinda good kinda bad, measured myself on the wiifit (so not totally accurate) and i'm up 6lbs. Feel gross, but know that it could have been a lot lot worse after two+ weeks of gorging! Gotta get back into things but it's hard when I'm staying at my parents. They have so much food and I can't resist! Hoping to be back properly next week

Holy cow, that cat!