Visual incentives anyone?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • We have the same containers!! It really keeps me in check...while I'm on the house at least going out is a little harder.

-Betsy they have some pretty small pebbles and the jars do keep a lot! Mine has 80+ and is not even close to being halfway full.
  • I have a charm bracelet with a charm added for every 5 pounds lost. I also have a second visual motivator I made out of beads and wire. I made it like the tickers on this site with clear beads for each pound I wanted to lose. Every 5th pound is marked by a different color. I strung all the beads on the wire and then use a little flower clip I had to mark my progress along the wire. I hung it up in the bathroom above the scale.
  • These are great ideas. It never occurred to me before! I get motivation wherever I can find it; I need it! Definitely making something like this to put right near the pantry
  • Glad you all like the idea. A bracelet is a great idea too. Seems like I had one of those once upon a time from WWs. I joined WWs so many times it's all a blur now.

Oh btw, no need to spend money and buy marbles. Rocks, sticks, fake flowers, legos, etc... a lot of items you have around the house will work nicely.
  • I have old pictures of me on the fridge from a few years back and every time I look at them they keep me going
  • Quote: I love the idea! Very cute!

You could have it with mini goals, or have a couple colors, like black white and pink with white being one pound, pink being 5 and black 10 or something, have 5 white then when you lose all 5 you put a pink in and move the white back to the first vase to relose, that way you dont have a huge jar
    Great idea. I ended up using kidney beans (dry ones from the pantry) in two wine glasses. They're on the kitchen table. The beans because I'm on a "live within your budget" kick right now and refuse to go out and buy something that I don't really need and the wine glasses to remind me not to whine about not eating something that I may like but that is basically not healthy by any definition.

I'm a very visual person, so this will be a good reminder that if I want the beans to move, I'll need to keep on plan.
  • Quote: Great idea. I ended up using kidney beans (dry ones from the pantry) in two wine glasses. They're on the kitchen table. The beans because I'm on a "live within your budget" kick right now and refuse to go out and buy something that I don't really need and the wine glasses to remind me not to whine about not eating something that I may like but that is basically not healthy by any definition.

I'm a very visual person, so this will be a good reminder that if I want the beans to move, I'll need to keep on plan.
    perfect! I like the wine/whine usage
  • As a former WW meeting attender (now doing WW online), I've grown quite attached to the star stickers they give you for every 5 lbs lost. So I wanted to continue that tradition, but put the stickers on something cuter than the bookmark they always use. So tonight I went to target in search of ideas. They had these magnetic locker mirrors in the back to school section. I liked the frame, but not necessarily the mirror part. So I just covered the mirror with black paper for me to put my stickers on, and it will go on the fridge.

I haven't earned my first 5lb sticker yet, but I expect to on this week's weigh-in. I went ahead and made myself a little example to see what it will look like (picture attached). The stars are for every 5 lbs lost and the fringey flower sticker is for reaching a mini-goal.

• My reminder is the clothing in my closet that I will soon be able to fit into again.
    I also get reminders at work from the person who finally inspired me to kick this for good. My supervisor used to weigh almost 400 pounds. Due to a tumor that had formed (due to poor health), he was told he would most likely die from it. Well, he fought it and won. He is now into body building and seeing him and where his drive has taken him really inspires me to work towards my goals.
  • Where do they sell marbles?
  • I think I'm going to do this, I'm kind of stuck and trying to come up with new ideas to help me get unstuck. Thanks for the great ideas!
  • Quote: Where do they sell marbles?
    You can find the flat glass ones at most craft stores, and I've also seen them at Dollar Tree; you can find different shaped plastic ones as well. Regular, round glass marbles should be available at craft stores and most likely toy stores. I'm pretty sure you can buy them at Oriental Trading as well as other online places.