How Wide is your Maintenance Range?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Well, I made it! 154.4 this morning, so I met my goal of 155.

Now I'm kind of lost. I've never been to goal before!

I think I should keep losing to create a "buffer" for going out on special occasions and vacations, but how much of a buffer? Is trying to maintain between 150-155 realistic? My friend suggested 145, but it was hard enough to get here, I worry that if I try to lose another 10 would drive me over the edge (into a big gain!)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
  • While I'm not even near maintenance, I just wanted to say congratulations!
  • Thanks
  • Congratulations on making it to goal! Assuming you're happy with the way you look right now (i.e., you don't feel the need to lose any more weight, which seems to be the case), then I think a 5 lb buffer and your suggestion of maintaining at 150-155 work well. If you have a 10 lb "buffer", chances are you might try to take advantage of it, eating more than you otherwise would, which could lead to bad habits. If you have less of a "buffer", I suspect you'll feel the need to exercise a bit more control in the initial maintenance months...which is a good thing.
  • Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

I'm nowhere near maintenance, but I assumed I'd try to maintain within a 3-5 lb range. Of course, until I get there, I won't know what it is!
  • I don't have a buffer but I am a little under goal, which is OK with me. I do have a number that I do not want to go below, though.
  • on getting to goal. I have never made it there but I think that's because I aimed too low - twice! I find I can stay within a 3-5 lb. fluctuation range without a lot of fuss. If I get up right to the top of the range I have to cut back though. Getting down to the low end hasn't happened this year due to all sorts of stressors but I think i'm going to shoot for it now, see how long I can stay there without major problems.

Dagmar
  • re:
    That is fantastic! Now update your avatar :P

I'm thinking for me it will be 10 lbs or my current clothing size. The scale moves 5lbs either way so quickly it would probably drive me insane.
  • My original goal was to lose 50 lbs. and I did that when I got to 148. I eventually made it down to 145 and started maintaining then. I tend to waffle around from 142 to 146 now, depending mostly how much water I'm retaining. I panic if I get near that 148 and immediately start pulling back. I do weigh every day still and that seems to work for me now that I'm used to the weight fluctuations. Don't know if that helps, but that's how I roll.
  • Congrats!

I have a pretty small window of maintenance, because even a few pounds make s big difference on my frame. 130 is my red line.
  • My goal was 140. I purposely lost a couple more pounds. Run between 136 and 138 most days.

139 is the redline!

However, I'm older, had a total hysterectomy and have no hormone issues.

What might work best is to figure out what maintenance calories would be, subtract a few from the daily allowance, and make a weekly flex calorie budget, to be used or not as needed.

That's what Weight Watchers does. You get a daily points allowance, and weekly flex points budget to use or not. The flex budget does not carry over from week to week. So, you would need to pick a day to start a new week.
  • Congratulations!

My range is 3-4 lbs. Prefer not to fluctuate too wildly as that means I've either grossly overeaten or starved.
  • Congratulations! I am still kind of exploring my maintenance weight (since December when I first got into healthy BMI land). So my original goal was 165, and I've continued to lose slowly to where I am at 156 currently. I'd say I'm open to going as low as 150, at which point my range would be 150-155. I think a 5 pound range is pretty good for the mid 100's. I've read +/-3% represents a range that encompasses day to day fluctuations and not losing or gaining.
  • How wide? About as wide as my butt, just now. The two things are clearly linked.

But I'm really posting to tell you that I love your new avatar. It didn't switch back & forth before, did it? Or did I just install Adobe Flash or something which made it work correctly? You look beautiful. What I wouldn't give for eyebrows like that. Mine are fine and blonde and need some penciling.
  • Haha thanks... no, it didn't use to switch. Elladorine made it for me

I was having trouble letting go of the old avatar, but I knew it was time for an update (and there may have been an official petition about this in the 100 lb forum) so now I have both!

So far I've been maintaining between 153-155. I'd like to be down to 150, but I'm not gonna push myself because I don't want to feel like I HAVE to lose any more weight.