Getting a rhythm ? Newbie advice pls

• Hello,

I've just joined a gym and have been trying the treadmill. I've got about 100lbs to lose, and now want to exercise, but I have never enjoyed running and never found a rhythm in it -not knowing when to swing my arms, breathe etc etc.. I've got 180 bpm music on my earphones, and can see that will help, and presumably having the right speed on the treadmill will also make it easier. Does anyone have any tips on how to get to that elusive rhythm where it might become a bit more enjoyable ?

Many thanks.
  • So I bought good quality running shoes and this helped a lot. I am using a treadmill at the gym and want to follow the C25K program, but i would still appreciate any advice about how to get a rhythm. It just does not come naturally to me at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks.
  • I can't type good on my phone but ill try n come back tonight to help u out
  • Tervetuloa CrazyCatWoman. No advise here because I am not a runner, but just wanted to say "hi" because I am (originally) from Kuopio, Finland
  • Thanks for the replies. Terve Sum38. I have good friends in Kuopio,

I have actually managed the first stage of C25K twice now so find that motivating. I am hoping it'll get netter as I carry on!

I'm wondering about what pace to run at really - I use a treadmill and thought it would be a bit easier to find the right speed to get into a rhythm, but no!
  • It takes awhile to get the right rhythm. If you've never really run before, it's awkward because your body isn't used to moving like that.

Try doing different speeds. When I run, I don't like to jog at a pace that I can keep up the whole time, which would be like 4.2mph; I like to go faster, just because it feels right. So I'll run, and then walk, and run, and walk.

Give it some time for your body to get used to it, and try out different speeds to see if any particular speed feels more natural for you.
  • Thank you lbsgobyebye- that was really helpful.

I have done the first week of C25K now, with 5 runs on treadmills at the gym and one outside. The treadmill runs got easier each time (hurrah!) and then outside it was a shock and harder to keep going - because of the rhythm. The jog felt like a crawl, like I wasn't moving at all. The treadmill helps keep a pace and i can also look at things like heart rate more easily to try to work out if I am overdoing it or not.

I am really pleased so far, and also being sensible about not pushing too far and too fast. I've never run, so cannot expect to be able to do this in a few days.
  • The first time I started on c25k I had a similar experience to you - it felt as though I was waddling along looking ridiculous (I probably was, to be honest). It got easier as the weeks went on. Keep it up and you'll be speeding along in no time!
  • Well I jog slower than most people walk-ha.ha. but it's a rhythm I can keep up with and can do for a couple of miles without stopping. I know I'll never get accused of being a speed demon with my pace--but it's still a great workout which is all I want anyway.

Hopefully that helps
  • Thanks for these comments!

Stupidly I was on the asphalt outside so my knee is sore and I need to be kind to it. I'll stick to the treadmill for a bit longer, or find some softer tracks outside.

And yes, I realise speed is not the essential thing - it's keeping going with breathing and moving. Sow and steady and all that.
  • Ooops - that should have been 'slow' and steady, but maybe 'sow' is quite apt!
  • Darn - I am going to have to rest up.
    I have completed week 2 of the C25K programme but a pain in my right knee is just screaming at me. I am still nowhere near breathing properly on the jogging sections but can see progress is being made. I just hope this injury will heal soon.
    All from running on asphalt.....