Losing weight with weight training and diet but no cardio?

• For the last 9 weeks, I've been reducing my caloric intake and doing leg and arm weights every day. I have a desk job, though, and I haven't done any cardio.

What I'm wondering is, do you think I'll be able to get to my goal weight - 120 - continuing on this way, without cardio?

I've started to go on the treadmill at a 5% incline at 3.5 mph for 15 minutes each morning, because I feel I need to move at least a *little*, but cardio bores me and so far, my weight loss has been almost effortless (I will also note that I've gained muscle and feel stronger and look more toned than I did before).

What do you guys think?
  • You totally can.

I personally do cardio because I don't mind it and I like the additional sweating, but it's all about the diet part!
  • Several people have posted that they are losing on diet alone. Everything I've read indicates that the exercise portion is for strength and improvement in your overall health, not for weight loss. Obviously, if you exercise for extended periods of time, you will lose weight. But for the majority of us who do an hour a day at the gym, we need to rely on lowering our caloric intake. Good luck.
  • Thanks! Good to hear I'm hoping that the weight training will 1) keep me from losing muscle on my diet 2) make me look more toned and 3) possibly increase my metabolism a bit to help with the weight loss (#1 and 2 are the main reasons, though)
  • #3 is the biggest perk in my experience. With regular weight training I can eat like a horse (well, maybe a pony).
  • JoJoP -
    I lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months without doing cardio - I just lift heavy 3x week. I started as a size 16 and ate 1600 calories while losing(lots of protein) - now I am a size 6 and eat 2200-2400 to maintain. I do take my dogs on walks now that the weather is nice but that's not really cardio. It is totally doable!
  • I'm with you, I hate cardio. I do force myself to do some though for health reasons. Have you looked into Tabatas? I have a trampoline and sometimes I'll trampoline while watching tv but last night I did 10 minutes of tabatas on the trampoline and the time went by quickly.

This happened to be the first google hit but there may be better sites
    http://tabatatraining.org/
  • I don't do any steady-state cardio at all. I hate it with a burning passion and just didn't notice any difference when I forced myself to run 2-3 times a week. I much prefer HIIT and weight training. I just did a tabata workout and not only did it only take 16 min, I absolutely was breathing hard/sweating and my muscles are now Jell-O. I've been doing a bodyweight program for 12 weeks now and I am noticing a huge difference in how toned I am (I gained 2 lbs. when I switched to maintenance but I've actually lost an inch off my hips).
  • Cardio is chasing my kids. Actual formal exercise is exclusively strength building for me, I just don't have time for both.
  • Quote: Thanks! Good to hear I'm hoping that the weight training will 1) keep me from losing muscle on my diet 2) make me look more toned and 3) possibly increase my metabolism a bit to help with the weight loss (#1 and 2 are the main reasons, though)
    The weight training will help with all three of your objectives.