Making packet clones (your own homemade alternatives)

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Kaplods , what brand of whey protein do you use? I tried to make chocolate waffles today with protein powder and I think a different protein powder will work better with my concoctions.
    Thanks!
  • I use a microfiltered (also called undenatured, cold-flow, or cold-processed) whey protein isolate that I buy from a local dairy. Syntrax is one name brand that uses microfiltered whey protein in their products. Syntrax Medical is the equivalent of what I use, but there are many others.

The main advantage to cold-process whey protein isolates, is their mild flavor and how well and quickly and completelty they dissolve even in water.

They do tend to be more expensive than most other protein powders unless you can buy directly from a local cheese-maker or dairy that uses cold-filtering. Unfortunately, shipping tends to eat up the difference even if you can find a dairy that ships.
  • I tried a new concoction today with MUCH better results. I decided I was over-thinking the process, trying too hard to create an exact clone.

So, instead I decided to reverse the process and start with the fewest and most basic ingredients possible.

I also decided to focus on one-serving recipes, at least until I get the recipe right.

So today I made this:

PPP Prototype II

In a bowl or mug, mix
    18g unflavored whey protein (ideally a microfiltered brand such as Syntrax Medical)
    10g potato flakes
    Any legal seasonings you prefer
    i used a pinch of salt and onion powder (I used up all the chives yesterday).

Stir in hot water to desired consistency

Macros below, IP PPP in parenthesis.

100 (100) calories
    0 (0)g fat
    17 (18)g protein
    7 (7)g carb
    0 (2)g fiber (from inulin)

This tasted pretty decent, if a little plain, but I was aiming for plain, because free seasonings can always be added to taste. 2g of inulin and a pinch of xanthan or guar gum would help thicken the product and bring the fiber content up.

Definitely a simpler and tastier result than Prototype I.
  • Thanks for the info.....gonna try this when I get my Syntrax!
  • OMG Potato Pancakes

I've been craving potato pancakes, so tonight I played around with my potato puree copy (Prototype II)

18g unflavored whey protein (ideally microfiltered whey protein isolate such as Syntrax Medical)
    10g potato flakes or granules (plain instant mashed potatoes).

Seasonings as desired. I used the following
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp dried chives
    Pinch of salt or Lawrey's seasoned salt
    Dash of pepper or cayenne

Combine in a bowl. This is the packet substitute. The additional ingredients below must be subtracted from your protein, fat, and veggie allowances.

3 thin scallions, sliced thinly, whites and greens (optional, but recommended)
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro (also optional)
    1tsp oil or butter flavored cooking spray
    2 tablespoons water (maybe a little more)
    1 large egg

Add oil or cooking spray to a teflon or Cast iron skillet. Sautee scallions and half of parsley (or Cilantro) over medium heat until the whites of the scallions are translucent and tender. Scrape to the center of the pan and remove from heat. Leave the heat on, you'll be returning to it in a minute.

Whisk egg and water together in a bowl. Pour into the bowl holding the dry packet clone (you could probably use an Actual Ideal protein puree packet, But you may have to adjust the amount of water).

Blend dry and wet ingredients with a fork until well combined into a batter.

Pour batter into the skillet over the scallions. Return to heat. When bubbles have formed across the pancake surface, flip the pancake. You can turn off the heat now, the residual heat will cook the other side in about 30 seconds.

Slide the pancake onto a plate and sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro or parsley.

Notes:

The pancake tasted really good, but was a little dry. A little more water and/or cooking it a little less might help, but what I think would be even more tasty and effective would be to add some grated veggies (cauliflower, jicama, zucchini, or turnip) to the green onions before sauteeing.

I think it would make a good flat bread for fajitas and other protein/veggie fillings.

I used cilantro and the finished pancake reminded me of Indian Aloo Parathas (Sort of like a potato pita bread), which I love. To make a more accurate version, I would add pinches of cayenne, cumin, and a bit of ginger-garlic paste to the sauteeing veggies, and I would thin the batter with a bit more water.
  • Potato awesomeness

Tonight I stirred my fauxtato packet copy into a cup of hot mashed cauliflower, and it was amazing. Didn't taste packety at all.

I made the mashed cauliflowe by cooking 2lbs of fresh cauliflower in a quart of water, with 2 teaspoons dehydrared minced garlic and 2tsp of powdered chicken bouillon.

When the cauliflower was tender, I drained the cauliflower, reserving the cooking liquid. I used a potato masher to mash the cauliflower adding back in a little of the cooking liquid until most of the lumps are gone (I have used an electric mixer or immersion blender when I wanted a lump-free cauliflower puree).

I measured and weighed the cauliflower before and after cooking, and 1 cup (100g) raw comes out to about 1/2 cup cooked (also 100g).

I just measured out one cup of the mashed cauliflower and stirred in the packet copy

Quote:
    18g unflavored whey protein (ideally microfiltered whey protein isolate such as Syntrax Medical)

I added a dash of pepper.

BTW, I've lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks, of following The Simple Diet protocol (similar to IP in many ways,.except it consists of 3 packets, 2 entrees and 5 or more servings of fruits and veggies. Fruit and veggies are not limited unless weight loss stalls as a result of choosing too many or too high carb choices). Entrees can be frozen or home-cooked meals but must be under 300 calories and meet protein and fat guidelines.

I haven't lost this well in decades, especially since this week has been tom for me and I'm usually up about 6-8 lbs in water retention.

• That's great Kaplods! Keep up the good work (on both the weight loss and the packet hacks)
  • Kaplods, Congrats on the -13 lbs! Your recent potato pancake & potato/cauliflower mix sound really good ... I'm definitely going to give them a try. Adding potato flakes to today's grocery list... I'm in maintenance but seem to have to be so careful about carbs that I've been mostly avoiding potatoes and this sounds like a nice low carb way to get back that taste. Thanks!
  • Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for the Potato Puree clone recipe. Have been reading through Rainbow's recipe threads and so many had Potato. I am going alternatives with no one to purchase on the down low... Hope to have many happy meals!
  • Quote: Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for the Potato Puree clone recipe. Have been reading through Rainbow's recipe threads and so many had Potato. I am going alternatives with no one to purchase on the down low... Hope to have many happy meals!

I haven't tasted the "real" packet, so I don't know how close my packet comes in flavor or texture to the original.

You may have to experiment a bit to see how using my "packet" works in the recipes. Seasoning will be the biggest challenge I would think.
  • where can i buy microfiltered whey protein isolate such as Syntrax Medical online?

Quote: OMG Potato Pancakes

I've been craving potato pancakes, so tonight I played around with my potato puree copy (Prototype II)

Seasonings as desired. I used the following
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp dried chives
    Pinch of salt or Lawrey's seasoned salt
    Dash of pepper or cayenne

Combine in a bowl. This is the packet substitute. The additional ingredients below must be subtracted from your protein, fat, and veggie allowances.

3 thin scallions, sliced thinly, whites and greens (optional, but recommended)
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro (also optional)
    1tsp oil or butter flavored cooking spray
    2 tablespoons water (maybe a little more)
    1 large egg

Add oil or cooking spray to a teflon or Cast iron skillet. Sautee scallions and half of parsley (or Cilantro) over medium heat until the whites of the scallions are translucent and tender. Scrape to the center of the pan and remove from heat. Leave the heat on, you'll be returning to it in a minute.

Whisk egg and water together in a bowl. Pour into the bowl holding the dry packet clone (you could probably use an Actual Ideal protein puree packet, But you may have to adjust the amount of water).

Blend dry and wet ingredients with a fork until well combined into a batter.

Pour batter into the skillet over the scallions. Return to heat. When bubbles have formed across the pancake surface, flip the pancake. You can turn off the heat now, the residual heat will cook the other side in about 30 seconds.

Slide the pancake onto a plate and sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro or parsley.

Notes:

The pancake tasted really good, but was a little dry. A little more water and/or cooking it a little less might help, but what I think would be even more tasty and effective would be to add some grated veggies (cauliflower, jicama, zucchini, or turnip) to the green onions before sauteeing.

I think it would make a good flat bread for fajitas and other protein/veggie fillings.

I used cilantro and the finished pancake reminded me of Indian Aloo Parathas (Sort of like a potato pita bread), which I love. To make a more accurate version, I would add pinches of cayenne, cumin, and a bit of ginger-garlic paste to the sauteeing veggies, and I would thin the batter with a bit more water.
  • Netrition,
    Vitamin shoppe
    Amazon

Just google syntrax Nectar
  • Quote: Netrition,
    Vitamin shoppe
    Amazon

Just google syntrax Nectar
    http://www26.netrition.com/syntrax_nectar_page.html
    is this the right one?
  • https://www.nashuanutrition.com/stor...ored-16oz.html
  • yup. Listed as nectar, medical, unflavored