Knee Problem Preventing Running?

• Even though I'm young and not extremely overweight, I've had issues with my knees for years. My doctor diagnosed me with arthritis in both knees last summer. Sometimes I'll be walking and one of my knees gives out on me and I fall forward. It seems to happen more often if I'm going up/down an incline or stairs. I would really like to start jogging/running, but I'm afraid of my knee giving out on me.

Does anyone know if wearing a knee brace while running would be beneficial and/or safe?
  • Hi Psychic, I'm sorry to hear about you knee problems, and it's interesting that you ask because I'm having a knee issue myself and have wondered the same about a brace.

Years ago my brother had a meniscus (I think) tear and he experienced the same falling forward issue as you. Almost like he tripped or his knee would catch and lock up a bit. I wonder if you might have something other than arthritis in your knee (really hope you don't!). At any rate, I've been asking folks I know at my gym who do wear braces about recommendations and while their recommendations are different, all tell me that they stabilize their knees considerably. BTW, the braces I'm talking about are the adjustable ones, mostly heavy duty mesh and/or sturdy, thick material and not the ones that have the metal supports on the sides.
  • I have knee problems as well and haven't come up with an answer. I can lightly jog sometimes, but anything more than that and I am in tears. Most of the time a brace helps me (along with an aleve a 1/2 hour before I go jogging).
  • Did the doctor who diagnosed you give you any advice in that regard? If not, can you go back and ask? Given the severity of what is going on with my knees, I've been very clearly advised by my doctor what kinds of exercise I can do. Running and jogging are right out. So are step aerobics or impact aerobics. However, he has encouraged me to walk as much as I can and swim. He would like to see me in yoga or tai chi as well.
  • Quote: Did the doctor who diagnosed you give you any advice in that regard? If not, can you go back and ask? Given the severity of what is going on with my knees, I've been very clearly advised by my doctor what kinds of exercise I can do. Running and jogging are right out. So are step aerobics or impact aerobics. However, he has encouraged me to walk as much as I can and swim. He would like to see me in yoga or tai chi as well.
    This is really great advice, Garnett2727! Yes, by all means ask your doctor's advice and recommendation.
  • how were you diagnosed with arthritis? was it through an MRI?

I ask because my DH experienced the same falling problem and his knee locking up and he was diagnosed through an MRI with BOTH arthritis and a meniscus problem that required surgery....now that he had surgery, his knee has been fine with minor arthritis problems...he could probably run if he wanted to , but he wont LOL
  • Garnet & Curvy - I'll probably talk to my doctor about it next time I go in. I usually don't go to the doctor unless its something major or they won't fill my prescriptions unless I go in. I'm in generally pretty good health, other than being overweight.

Alaskan - I had already expected arthritis, but when I went in for a physical last summer, my doctor was feeling my knees and told me I had arthritis. I haven't had an MRI done, but that is probably a good idea.
  • I, too, have a knee injury. I tore my right ACL playing hockey several years ago and am still in pain from it. I find that I can't run for long periods of time at all without it giving out. However, with a knee brace I find that an elliptical isn't too bad as long as I make sure to ice my knee after.