No carb/low carb diet?

• Hi there. Yesterday I saw a video about a man who was diagnosed with cancer and had only three months to live and he apparently took on a low-carb diet and survived! I thought it was amazing. If it cured his cancer, it would probably help with weight loss. Now, my mother and I were thinking of doing the diet. My mother is about twice my weight, I'm 5'5 and 120, she is 5'5 and around 220. I don't want to lose too much weight, I think 2-3 pounds could help a lot so I don't need to do the diet too long. Has anyone here ever tried it? What kind of foods are you allowed to eat. How much weight did you lose doing it? I hope I'm not asking too many questions! I'd like to know your experiences and whatnot.
  • There's no way to know whether the man's diet had anything to do with his recovery. Many people outlive their terminal cancer diagnosis and/or have a cancer mysteriously disappear.

I am not saying low-carb diets are bad or dangerous when done correctly, they're just not a miracle cure. I say this even though I have health issues that are aggravated by a high-carb diet. I eat lower carb, because I feel better and have fewer symptoms - but I don't think there is any diet that is suitable for everyone. The diet I thrive onn, might make someone else very ill.

That being said, I don't think no-carb diets are safe for anyone. The native Inuit diet is often held up as the epitome of no-carb diets, because the people are healthy and eat very little plant-based food, surviving primarily on fish and sea mammals.

However, sea animals in cold-water environments have nutrients that aren't found elsewhere (supposedly whale blubber has more vitamin C per ounce than oranges).

Also, the Inuit do eat plant foods when the can, and even though they comprise a small part of the diet calorie-wise, they tend to be superfood powerhouses, high in phytonutrients (such as the many wild greens and deeply colored berries that are eaten when they're available).

There's a good bit of evidence that plant foods, especially those with deep, intense colors (dark green, intense orange, red, purple, yellow...) have the most health-promoting, and cancer-fighting components.

I remember reading that research has found similar rates of cancer between meat eaters and veg*ns when they were matched on number and variety of fruits and vegetables. The more fruit and vegetables eaten and the more intensely colored, the lower cancer rates.

Cutting carbs can Be a very effective strategy for health and weight loss, just be sure to cut the right ones. The deeply-colored, low-carb, low-cal, high-fiber foods shouldn't be cut. Five servings should be the absolute, bare minimum and the lowest cancer rates were found in people eating 10 or more.

To avoid bloating, gas, and diarrhea especially you have digestive issues irritable bowel, you have to be ver careful to make diet changes gradually, especially in regards to fat and fiber
  • hollywood dn't beleive everything you see or read. if a low carb diet cured cancer more people would be doing it....there as been a link between sugar and cancer but that again is a theory. , not a cancer cure.....I have been doing low carb on and off for years, it is the only thing that works for me but it should be done correctly, if not it could be dangerous if your electrolytes are off balance. Being in ketosis is not fun and doesn't feel great..it also puts added work on your kidneys. It can gve you bad breath and constipation......don't mean to scare you, just want you to be aware.
  • In fact Studies show Low carb diet may be key to cancer recovery:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...enic-diet.aspx
  • Quote: Hi there. Yesterday I saw a video about a man who was diagnosed with cancer and had only three months to live and he apparently took on a low-carb diet and survived! I thought it was amazing. If it cured his cancer, it would probably help with weight loss. Now, my mother and I were thinking of doing the diet. My mother is about twice my weight, I'm 5'5 and 120, she is 5'5 and around 220. I don't want to lose too much weight, I think 2-3 pounds could help a lot so I don't need to do the diet too long. Has anyone here ever tried it? What kind of foods are you allowed to eat. How much weight did you lose doing it? I hope I'm not asking too many questions! I'd like to know your experiences and whatnot.
    I am doing the Ideal Protein Diet...one form of a low carb diet. It is fantastic. My energy levels are up, my weight is going Down and I don't experience many cravings.

If you are interested in it, there is an ip section in these forums.
  • I am a 9+ year Atkins "veteran". That being said, I am not making any claims regarding low carb & cancer. As for the foods I eat, basically my eating consists of meat, chicken, fish, salads, veggies, cheese, eggs....no bread, no potatoes, no rice, no pasta, no sugar, no caffeine. I have lost over 100 lbs, in a little over a year and have maintained for 8+ years.
    When low carb is done correctly, it works. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to research the low carb plan they are doing before they attempt to do it and they fail. Knowledge is power.
  • Quote:
    When low carb is done correctly, it works. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to research the low carb plan they are doing before they attempt to do it and they fail. Knowledge is power.
    JerseyGyrl,

Well said. I agree. It works so well when you understand 'how to work it'.
  • Research paleo! I'm an 80/20 paleo, and even though I eat *some* non paleo foods, for the most part eating this way makes me feel so much healthier. Basically it's all protein and fat, and the only carbs come from fruits and veggies and the like. No legumes, no dairy, no wheat products or anything. I cheat and make bread and pasta from almond flour.

Even if people don't do this for weight loss, it's amazing how different you can feel!
  • I am curious why at your height and weight you think you need to diet. Whatever you do normally must work fine for you.