I know I'm a featherweight but these situations still make me feel like an elephant

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: I am always changing my goal weight lower because of situations like these! I am sure when I hit my goal weight, I am going to change keep going lower.
    I am with you there. I thought I would be happy at 125, now I am aiming for 120 or 115.

Quote:
    Also when I look at my body in the mirror sometimes, I feel big. I'm just waiting and waiting for the day I look in the mirror and see a slim girl.
    Sometimes I catch my reflection in a window while walking home and get that "need to suck it in" moment. I totally understand just feeling big.

Quote: I feel overweight when I go out at all anymore. I moved and I'm literally like 3 blocks away from a really nice part of the neighborhood. Not that my area isn't nice itself, it's just a little closer to the NOT nice part of the neighborhood. And a lot of the women are very, very skinny. They dress up and put on makeup just to go get coffee for crying out out! I'm not a girly girl, I'm usually very casual, and makeup is a fairly foreign substance to me. So I look at them and think, "Yep. I'm fat."

I'm trying to embrace my quirkiness though. It's a work in progress.
    I think the dressing up/makeup/hair etc. can create an illusion of thinness/fitness too. I am in the same boat, rarely wear makeup, don't do much to my hair, where very casual clothes, and it can be intimidating to be around women who are more into the clothes/makeup etc. Many of my friends are, and my boyfriend's family are very wealthy and into appearance, it makes me feel uncomfortable just to be around them sometimes.

Quote: Knowing a have a pair of size 6 jeans in the closet that I used to fit into makes me sad. I'm a size 12 now which is great but I'd like to be single digits again. I just felt so solid, giggles in the right places but not too the wrong ones. I want that feeling again of being healthy making good choices in food and exercising because it made me feel better.
    I am guilty of saving "skinny" clothes, that I hope to one day fit back into. I also have the reverse, when I put on pants/top that I expect to be a bit loose/ comfortable, and find that it fits and or/is a bit more snug than I expected (and in spite of my weightloss).
  • Quote:
    I am guilty of saving "skinny" clothes, that I hope to one day fit back into. I also have the reverse, when I put on pants/top that I expect to be a bit loose/ comfortable, and find that it fits and or/is a bit more snug than I expected (and in spite of my weightloss).
    I actually ditched my big clothes as I found it made me back slide. Now I just have clothes that fit and if I start to get snug I push myself back to the gym. I read a blog I think it was once about a girl who wore her yoga pants and found she had gained 15 pounds and never noticed because her pants were comfy. She advised sticking to denim. I have and it has kept my weight in check. I'm still null on the gym scale but one day at a time. My healthy eating has returned so I take that as a victory.
  • Agreed with beach!
    Agreed with wearing shorts (I have a pair that are lose around the hips, still ride up around the thighs! I guess I just have big thighs :/.)

Also in photographs (especially with skinny friends)

But I try not to let it get to me, I've come so far and I'm sooo close!
  • I so totally agree with what so many of you have said -- just knowing I was once a much lower weight (even if I don't think I should go back to that weight) KILLS me!

I have two pairs of size 26 jeans that just sit in my closet and mock me. Every so often I think I should just pitch them but then I think, "What if...?"

And that "thigh-spread" thing is just awful. Especially living in Southern CA where we have shorts weather so much of the year...
  • I often see myself chubby on the photos. A friend of mine is a professional photographer, and he tells me I shouldn't rely on photos, as they always add weight, but it still upsets me
  • My boyfriend's cousin's wife gave me a bag full of clothes to wear and while a few things just barely fit, a number of other items were far too small. It both stung and gave me a goal to work towards.

When I look in the mirror and see a small waist but huge hips and an annoyingly chubby lower stomach, I become frustrated that it ruins my figure more than the jiggly thighs and wide hips...

When I sit down I feel said lower stomach hanging and it bothers me...
  • Quote: My boyfriend's cousin's wife gave me a bag full of clothes to wear and while a few things just barely fit, a number of other items were far too small. It both stung and gave me a goal to work towards.
    You should consider yourself lucky, because people see you so skinny. I would get extremely offended and upset if I was given clothes which are way too large.
  • I didn't say I didn't feel lucky, just that I felt fat.
  • Quote: I didn't say I didn't feel lucky, just that I felt fat.
    We're women, we're supposed to feel fat Even if we're actually underweight.

Right now, my BMI is 14, which isn't very high, and many people tell me I've lost way too much weight in the last year and a half. I haven't bought any new clothes for months now, because even the smaller sizes are too large on me. My ribs, hip- and chestbones are very visible, so my logic tells me I can't be fat, but when I look in the mirror or watch myself on the photos, all I can see is a huge woman!

So no matter how much weight some of us can lose - deep in our minds we'll always remain "thick", even when we have all the evidences we aren't even close to being overweight!
  • Quote: We're women, we're supposed to feel fat Even if we're actually underweight.

Right now, my BMI is 14, which isn't very high, and many people tell me I've lost way too much weight in the last year and a half. I haven't bought any new clothes for months now, because even the smaller sizes are too large on me. My ribs, hip- and chestbones are very visible, so my logic tells me I can't be fat, but when I look in the mirror or watch myself on the photos, all I can see is a huge woman!

So no matter how much weight some of us can lose - deep in our minds we'll always remain "thick", even when we have all the evidences we aren't even close to being overweight!
    Really are those your weights!I would say your WAY to thin perhaps anorexic?
  • Quote: We're women, we're supposed to feel fat Even if we're actually underweight.

You are 5'6" and going by your info, 86 lbs and your goal is 77 lbs? This sounds really dangerous (unless those figures are in kg, which is not likely if your BMI is only 14).

Healthy BMI is above 18. It's not just "weight", it's the consequences of being too thin - bone loss, heart, liver, kidney problems and these consequences may last a lifetime.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a support network e.g. family, close friends?
  • Gali, I, too, was hoping your weight was in kgs and not lbs. I know this is a thread about thin people feeling "fat," but based on your stats and some of your other posts, I think you are in dangerous territory. I say this out of concern.
  • I agree, I hope you are okay Gali. I used to talk to pro-ana women when I wasn't doing so well emotionally and they always set their sights for the 70s or 80s and wanted bones to show. If bones weren't showing, in their minds, they weren't doing it right. The damage you can cause by aiming for such a low number can be irreversible so I very much hope you are okay.
  • I feel fat when I sit down and I am wearing tight jeans... Or when my arms jiggle after i stopped moving them!
  • I can't even fathom 77p at 5'6". That's a serious problem!

I feel fat because my midsection, no matter how hard I try, will always have a pouch from pregnancy. When I sit down with pants it never fails to remind me that it's there. TOM makes it even more noticeable. I try to look on the bright side that I don't have any stretchmarks so it is possible to lose it entirely but I don't think I have that level of motivation to go hardcore to get super ripped. I would kill to have Jillian Michael's abs though. Her body is my dream. That's serious work.

Upper arm fat pisses me off too, otherwise I have no other complaints.