Organic or not?

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Oh, and I don't think it's organic, but I always buy Kerrygold's butter from grass fed cows because it's delicious and one of my favorite things in life and regular butter is dead to me now.
  • Quote: Oh, and I don't think it's organic, but I always buy Kerrygold's butter from grass fed cows because it's delicious and one of my favorite things in life and regular butter is dead to me now.
    Truth.
  • I read somewhere that Kerrygold didn't score well in taste tests because consumers thought it was "too buttery" and "must be fake." No, sillies, that's what real butter tastes like!
  • Organic berries and apples definitely taste better than non-organic.

I always buy organic Milk just because it tastes much better as well.

I buy organic produce when I can justify the price. I will not pay $6 for a lb cherries, but other wise, I just get lots of the non organic goodies.
  • Quote: Organic berries and apples definitely taste better than non-organic.

I always buy organic Milk just because it tastes much better as well.

I buy organic produce when I can justify the price. I will not pay $6 for a lb cherries, but other wise, I just get lots of the non organic goodies.
    non-organic cherries here are $6.89 per pound the farmer's market organic ones were $9 per pound
  • This is sooooo funny and will help us all laugh at our selves a bit.
    http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/trag...thy-eater.html
  • I think that article touches on what seems to be a healthy eating paralysis. I mean people try for perfection but there is no real perfection. You just have to find what works out for you.
  • Oh yes! The Kerrygold is amazing! Don't like anything else either! Years ago I went to Ireland with a good friend. Back then, we didn't know what we were eating, but all the dairy was so wonderful to me, who grew up with organic dairy products before it was generally popular. My girlfriend grew up on margarine and other faux dairy. She thought the Irish butter and cream tasted too "cow-ey". Nearly 20 years later, she is all over the Kerrygold now!
  • There are some things that I only eat if organic, but some that aren't. However, everything I eat is non GMO.

My diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables, and I choose all of my foods based on their nutrients and what they can do for me. I experienced major changes in my health and well-being after making this adjustment. It's possible that organic foods contain more nutrients than conventionally grown, and if so it would make them a better choice.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/WBL02077...-Minerals.html

Dr. Weil mentions a four year study that found ..
    Quote:
    It found that organic fruits and vegetables contained as much as 40 percent higher levels of antioxidants, which are believed to reduce the risk of heart disease and many cancers. Organics also had higher levels of beneficial minerals such as zinc. And milk from organically-fed herds had antioxidant levels up to 90 percent higher than milk from conventional herds.
  • Quote: Oh yes! The Kerrygold is amazing! Don't like anything else either! Years ago I went to Ireland with a good friend. Back then, we didn't know what we were eating, but all the dairy was so wonderful to me, who grew up with organic dairy products before it was generally popular. My girlfriend grew up on margarine and other faux dairy. She thought the Irish butter and cream tasted too "cow-ey". Nearly 20 years later, she is all over the Kerrygold now!
    I saw some Kerrygold butter for sale at my local Krogers, and I've been wanting to try it, but the price tag....whew! It's definitely a luxury item to buy....but I'll give it a try.

As for the organic debate, I have found some organic stuff to have tasted a lot better than the non-organic things. Plus, you do feel better knowing, hopefully anyway, that you're not inhaling a lot of other things that shouldn't be in your food.

But yes, trying to buy organic is just not always possible with the prices they're charging for them now. I've had to make compromises and go with non-organic simply because I can't shell out the extra for the organic stuff. You just have to pick your battles where you can.

What is sad though is that in my area, there are no options. We have the tiniest farmers market you'll ever see, and no local food stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joes to shop at.
  • Quote: non-organic cherries here are $6.89 per pound the farmer's market organic ones were $9 per pound
    I went to the super market after this and I saw the same thing!!! Yikes!!! Thankfully, they do get cheaper later on in the season.
  • I look forward to Ranier cherry season every year (and lychee and rambutan and cocktail fruit grapefruit, honeycrisp apple, and watermelon, and strawberry, and blackberry, and white peach.... seasons as well), but I'm not willing to pay off-season or first-week season prices, especially if the quality isn't awesome - and off-season it never is, and early season rarely is good enough to justify the price.

One of the reasons I'm rarely tempted to buy organics in our area is that it's difficult to find organic that looks fresh enough to justify the price. The apples I see in local health food stores are three to five times the cost of non-organic and to add insult, the fruit is wrinkled with age. I might be able to justify the cost, if bright, fresh, tasty produce were the reward, but $7 a pound for old, wrinkled apples? Not so much.
  • I am so happy I stopped low carb. I am catching up on fruit right now.
  • I have to say, the organic apples that I get from my CSA are pretty nasty looking -- nothing like the beautiful organic apples at Whole Foods. It does make me wonder how the Whole Foods (and other supermarket) organic apples look so good...

That said, I do peel the nasty-looking CSA apples and chop them up for salads or applesauce, and they taste fabulous. I hate getting rid of the skin, but it just isn't appealing in the least.
  • geo - Your friend was a fool. (To be read in a 100% serious, haughty tone.)