Red Team Spring Into Action 2013 CHAT Thread Week 3 (June 03/13 - June 09/13)

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Hi gang,
    All day long I thought it was Wednesday- wont that be a rude awakening tomorrow when it is Wednesday? Oh my.
    Today wa a highly scheduled day with meetings & kids events, so I wasn't very productive- perhaps tomorrow.
    Think fit-when I was heavier I started with low impact aerobics, acquasize and recumbent bike. I still ride a bike on occasion. If I go to the Y to use the treadmill I might use the bike as a cool down.
    I still love a good step aerobics class, but have trouble finding a class time that works with my schedule.
    When I did start running, I used the couch 2 5k program.
    Now I run 3x per week. If I wasn't training for this race id probably onky run 1x per week. I also walk the dog and climb stairs at work.
    Whatever you do, listen to your body. Know the good hurt from the bad.
  • Angiemama- :hugs: on the rough day. Acknowledge that it was bad, but it's in the past now. Tomorrow is a new day- new opportunities will come along.

SuperheroTeacher- WTG- 3 days in a row. Excellent job. Keep it up!

Armygirl- Love the NSV! Good job on trying something not falling back on your old stand by.

Thinkfit- remember babysteps. We don't want you burning out early on!

Changergirl- Good for trying something new. Lori who blogs at findingradiance dot com has done the NROLFW. You might want to check out her blog.

EofAZ- YAY! HUGE NSV!!! getting into the 100's. WTG. Plus all the wonderful compliments from co-workers. yippee!

Nikel-hope you're doing okay. Oooh- a color run lucky you. We have one but it's the same day as the other race. I'll try to do one some day.

Elizabeth- glad you're feeling better. I agree with the PF. Good shoes for help. I wear crocs when I'm home and that helps me a ton.

MamaP, Rated, Riddy- How You doin'?
  • ArmyGirl- NROLFW is New Rules of Lifting For Woman. Pretty much a program designed for beginners to make sure that you aren't lifting baby weights!

CanadaMel- Thanks for the blog. I need all the extra info I can get.

I'm still feeling quite sore from my workout on Monday, my upper body was mainly feeling it yesterday but today my quads are hurting as well. I probably shouldn't have attempted to run yesterday especially since it didn't go well. My workout tonight includes deadlifts which I've never even attempted to do before so I hope my form isn't too bad. It's situations like this when I wish I spoke the local language better so I could get some help from people, oh well.
  • Good morning all,
    Starting my day by taking the kids to the dentist, oh joy!
    Hope you have more fun filled days than getting our teeth scraped & poked. Can you tell I don't care for the dentist?
    But have to put a good face on for the kids.

So didn't get my run in last night, but that's okay, today is National Running Day!
    Be sure to get those bodies moving and Celebrate the fact that you are committed to becoming more healthy!

Have a great day. Make OP choices & drink your water!
  • Amusing NSV - my MIL took the kids out for shopping and lunch. When she was picking them up, she looked at me and said something about how I'm getting down to my high school weight. I had to laugh and laugh after she left. I was very underweight in high school. I was 105-110 lbs, and I'm pretty tall. I'm well over 100 lbs over that, and I have no desire to be that thin. So it was nice that she noticed that I've lost weight, but holy exaggeration Batman! LOL
  • Hi everyone

I apologize in advance for the following long posts, but read all of the posts and wanted to respond with some “personals”.

Today was my first day where I was up all day. DYED the hair, taught a piano lesson, pulled some weeds in the garden, and now I’m DONE, whipped even. Tomorrow I plan on pulling more weeds, doing some laundry and tidy my room (a disaster after being sick for a week), and a trip to costco, and I think Dahlia and I are going to go shopping for a dress tomorrow night. If I can get all that done, then Friday I’m going to try a trip to the gym.

Mel – CROCS? I think I’ll try a pair for around the house. My plantar fasciitis is much better, but I’ve started wearing sandals around the house, and that’s probably not the best idea. Dear Mel, it has been so inspiring seeing your push to goal this last year. It’s exciting watching you get so much closer to your goal! Taking KIDS to the dentist? You must be a saint!

Rated – sometimes the numbers just don’t cooperate. The important thing is that you knew you were on track with your eating. The nice thing about calorie counting is you KNOW for sure what you’re eating/not eating because you’re keeping close track. Probably more veggies might help move the scale….I call the scale “the square box on the floor”, because sometimes I think we can give it so much power. The most important thing you are doing though is staying on track no matter what the square box on the floor says. (damn scale!) lol

Darcey – wow eight pounds. That’s amazing. Talk about a WHOOSH! YAY 8 pounds you don’t have to worry about anymore. Well, you mentioned you had a 2 pound gain – I call that a “bump up” and I almost always have one, and I’ve learned to just expect it, it’s sort of like my body “bumps up” because it has to “rest” at the bumped up number before it really settles down and accepts the new low weight. I lose, bump up, lose to new number, bump up, lose to new number, bump up, etc. Also, I have a Leslie Samsome video around here somewhere, should find it and try it out. I have friends with major knee problems, and it’s good you are still finding ways to get in some exercise despite the pain. Hang in there gal.

Nicole – thanks for sharing about what you’re going through. I went through some therapy back in my 30’s about some stuff I was repressing. It is not comfortable to go through – down right Uncomfortable even, sort of like having to clean the garage – it’s a huge mess and hassle while you do it, but the results are so nice after its done. I’ve had times I wanted to just stay in bed with the sheet over my head, in fact did that for a while. I admire your courage for still going. Also, if I may make a suggestion. After I had worked out some stuff with the therapist, some of it has still bothered me, and I was talking over some of the past memories and stuff with someone one day and he suggested I pray for “healing of memories.” That has helped a lot. It wasn’t an instant healing, but with time the memories of the bad stuff has faded quite a bit. Hug. Hang in there gal. Hope you are going to have a great weekend with the gals and a good run. Like your NSV with the holy batman exaggeration remark from your Mother in law….

Angiemama – KUDOS for going for the run even when you didn’t initially feel like it – I like that feeling when you’re done – the feeling of accomplishment of what moves us toward our goal. Angiemama, I wish you had gotten that job you wanted. There is a job I’ve been wanting that I’m not getting either…..bleah…….it’s hard because with the economy there are so many people applying for the jobs. Hopefully you’ll get the next one you want, and admire you went out for your run anyway. Being sad is okay, it helps to feel a little sad and regret you didn’t get it and then move forward – you’re right to realize your success depends on your making yourself and your goal your number one priority – go Girl!

Evangeline – SO happy for your seeing 199!!! YOU”RE in ONEderland!!! Congratulations – you deserve to see that number – you have worked so hard towards your goal. YAYYY!!! Also, I liked your NSV. Also, it’s nice people are noticing your weight loss.

Changergirl – congrats on your NSV and for giving the workout (including pushups) 100% effort. I’ll have to check out this New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women (or something like that) when I finish this post.

Hi Sarah (Thinkfit) – I should walk my dog some too – he loves it so much when he gets to get out in the neighborhood. I’m trying to think of non weightbearing exercises you might like. I do a seated elliptical at the gym, but realize you may not be able to do that right now. One thing that I think you could do starting out SLOWLY would be kettlebell?? I’d recommend starting with a 5 pound weight even, and that could be pretty cheap to get from a sports store. Then there are free kettlebell routines you can get from youtube. Also, there are some seated exercise routines on youtube that might help. With each pound lost though, you’ll be able to do more hopefully, that’s how it was with me. For instance, tonight I was weeding, and each time I hit a weed with the hoe, I then bent over to pick it up, shake off the dirt and toss it on the compost pile. I couldn’t bend over like that until my current weight, and even at that I lasted only 20 minutes before I was worn out. So I’ll do 20 more minutes in the morning….I like it that you know what your limits are, but you’re still walking that dog. I admire your courage. You inspire me, I’ll take my dog for a walk around the block tomorrow, just to support you. I just thought of something you could do, and it’s something I really need to do also, and I’m willing to match you for it also. How about some abdominal curls. It’s something we can do at home, and it will help strengthen our core. When I get down on the floor, I have to do it near the couch or a strong chair to help me get back up. Also, Dahlia told me the other night she does them on one of those big balls. That would be nice so you and I wouldn't have to get on the ground. So tell me the number you want to start with, and I’ll match them with you……what do you think? Wanna?

Armygirl – WAY TO GO on your food choice for that healthy sandwich. One thing I’ve noticed with your WOE and way of exercising plan is that you show consistency (Mel does also). I admire that, and you are a good example. I tend to be all or nothing too often instead of consistent.

We're all a good team!

RED TEAM HUG!
  • NON SCALE VICTORY!!!

I have been a compulsive overeater, and a binger -- that's how I got to 298, and I've not been successful before with taking this weight off until starting this January. I've not been ccompulsively overeating or bingeing since January this year, but it was a HUGE part of my life before.

So last Tuesday I picked up my elderly mother at the train station. She has dementia (that was her last train trip even), and she had lost her luggage and she gets very angry if anyone tries to help her describe the luggage. I was feeling really frustrated trying not to "help her" describe her luggage (she didn't know size or color) or even did not know her address or phone number, and I spoke up and supplied this information, and of course she was irritable with me about it. Also during her trip my sister and I had talked and I'm needing to start paperwork for conservatorship hearings, etc. So needless to say when I dropped her off at her house I was pretty emotionally charged up.....and this is what happened.

I drove to a 7-11 to get a large diet pepsi with ice which was fine, but while the cup was filling up, I saw over to the side some cornuts, and stuff like that. I got my drink and was looking over the cornuts packages trying to figure our how many carbs etc., when I realized to the left of the cornuts was this WHOLE row of candy -- all the candy I have binged on in the past when having problems, and especially any problem with my mother's problems.

I stood there and looked at all that stuff and was very tempted to get what I'd want and just eat it in the car and no one would know. Then I said this to myself, "None of this will help me feel better. None of this will make my problem any easier to deal with. It won't help me deal with mom, or a difficult mom who also now has dementia. It won't help at all, it won't even help me feel better after I've finished the candy -- I'll just want more candy and I'll just be going back to my old ways and the weight will come back on and more."

Then I sighed, and walked away from the candy aisle, paid for my diet pepsi, and went home. That is probably the biggest non scale victoriy of my entire life, and it is a moment and a lesson I hope I never forget.

Thanks for listening.....
  • Thank you all tons for the responses, just wanted to let you know I see 'em, just been a super busy week for me, will read & write more when I get an extra minute!
  • Thanks Ladies- I have good news-

I thought I bombed it, but I guess I didn't, but they're doing one last follow up meeting tomorrow

I've been hitting this emotional wall while running all week, but I think it's just from the ups and downs of not knowing what's going on.

I'm off to start dinner, but personals later
  • Dear Elizabeh, I am so *stinking* proud of you! I don't even let myself go into convenience stores (or grocery stores for that matter), because I'm not sure I can handle the temptation. Good for you!!!
  • WTG Elizabeth! That is progress. You are changing your behavior, not an easy task. Thank you for sharing that huge accomplishment.

Angiemama-are you talking about the job? Positive thoughts coming your way.

Just waking the dog and then heading home to collapse into bed.

Have a great night.
  • I apologize I don't have time for personals tonight (I will catch up tomorrow) but I had the BIGGEST NSV ever!

I teach kindergarten and today the school organized for me to take my class to climb a mountain (a REAL mountain I am not exaggerating) it was so tough at the beginning I was collapsing and felt light headed I didn't think I was going to be able to make it. I pushed through with the help of some volunteers, regrouped and I made it all the way to the top! It was a 4 hour hike (2.5 hrs up and 1.5 hours down) and almost straight up at some points. I had no idea my body could do it! Going down was just as bad and my thighs are killing me now but I am so proud I didn't give up.

• HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

I, Elizabeth, now declare that the Red Team Chat Threads to be a totally and always a guilt-free zone.

We are all such busy ladies, sometimes we have insomnia (like me last night) and we're able to catch up on personals, and sometimes life happens and we can hardly make it here to do a "fly-by" or a "drive-by"

"Fly-by" equals "Hi, I'm here, still alive, still eating right, still trying to work out, hang in there red team. bye-bye.

"Drive-by" equals just a little bit more details and the words "will try to do personals later"......

So, it's a guilt free zone, and we just do what we can do, but the most important thing is that we give ourselves time to breathe, relax, workout, prepare our food, deal with our kids, hubs, significant others, bosses, co-workers, climb mountains (heh heh -- glad you made it up that mountain gal), and just do the best we can......

And if we get the above done most days AND drink our water, we are doing pretty good.

Red Team Hug!
  • Well in that spirit Elizabeth, I am getting ready to head out the door for my girls weekend. Color Run tomorrow morning! Woot! I forgot to weigh myself this morning until after my shower. I'm not weighing in with wet hair! ROFL So I'm putting myself down for a freebie, and if I'm back in time Sunday, I'll update.
  • Sorry team members. I had to take a mental vacation from the whole dieting thing so I have to report a gain this week.