WW Points Plus and Alcohol?

• Hi there! I am new to this forum and back on Weight Watchers after losing 80 pounds on WW and gaining it all back! Sigh. Oh well....first step. The points plus is new to me since the last time I was on and I've noticed alcoholic drinks are FOUR POINTS??? Not to sound like a lush....but I do enjoy my adult beverages from time to time. Calorie count hasn't changed, so does anyone know why these are now so costly points-wise?

Thank you!!
  • Not sure about the why. I just learned to cut back my drinking. This Friday I splurged a bit and decided to dip into my weeklies - 20 points worth of shots >.< Now I just have to eat really well for the rest of the week to make up the difference. lol
  • Hi nh9295!!

I believe they are higher because the labels actually don't count the alcohol in their calculations, and it throws off the nutrition facts to give it a lower value than intended. From the pointsplus info I have, when calculating alcoholic beverages, 14 is the number you want to put in for fat, as that's the average amount of fat (from the alcohol) in an average bottle of beer or glass of wine. The calculations won't be perfect, but close.

I, too, am someone who enjoys some tasty alcoholic beverages from time to time (I love wine!!), so if I know I will be drinking, I usually like to hoard my weekly and activity points for those nights. Luckily for me, I'm pretty much a lightweight, so two or three glasses of wine are enough lol!
  • I remember back on the old program booze was less.... It is part of the new algorithm and I hate it!! I, like tehshort, just stopped drinking as much. I have found that Miller 64's are 2 pts and good for party/bbq situations. Vodka is always the best choice.

Good luck taking it back off!!
  • My husband laughed at me when I drank the other night. I used to be able to drink anyone under the table and after only a few shots of rum I was smashed! lol I guess not drinking as much is good that it makes me a featherweight again. tolerance=nil :P
  • I think it's more points now because this round of WW is focused more on making good lifestyle choices. You can eat a 100 calorie apple or 100 calories worth of liquor. The apple is clearly a better choice for you. I believe WW is just trying to steer people towards making good decisions and not indulging too much.
  • Thanks for the info! Guess I will need to cut back on the drinks on the patio. Darn it!!!
  • I just exercise and put in my points for my wine every night. Truly, I've gone beyond my weight goal based on points, and I think it's because they alloate too many points for wine. I have 10 oz of wine/night generally (2 glasses) and put in my points, along with 3 points of popcorn. Along with 45 minutes of exercise 5 out of 7 days, it all works. So I drink my vino, enjoy, and I stay at my weight. I DO think the points for alcohol are inflated, but I just work with it.
  • Quote: I just exercise and put in my points for my wine every night. Truly, I've gone beyond my weight goal based on points, and I think it's because they alloate too many points for wine. I have 10 oz of wine/night generally (2 glasses) and put in my points, along with 3 points of popcorn. Along with 45 minutes of exercise 5 out of 7 days, it all works. So I drink my vino, enjoy, and I stay at my weight. I DO think the points for alcohol are inflated, but I just work with it.
    I totally agree about the inflated points! Wine is something I choose not to give up, so I earn it with activity points as well.
  • I drink and lose too, and there are some days I will choose a drink over a snack if all I have left is four points. I don't think that the points for alcohol are inflated. What I think that with the secret formula, foods that are good for you, have less points than food with empty calories. Alcohol is just that. so if you have had your protein veggies dairy and still have points for alcohol go for it. Even on Simply Filling you can have a drink a day and still have a couple of points left over.