300+ Chat Thread: June 2013

You're on Page 1 of 8
Go to
  • WELCOME!!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
  • where is everyone?? Come out and play its JUNE!! Our year is almost half gone! time to make some progress!!
  • I can't believe it is June already!!

I am dealing with some really terrible summer swelling. It got hot and I ballooned up - to the point my legs were rather painful last night and I am thinking I may need to go see someone about it. Not good. I still feel really bloated today and am going to try some light walking and extra hydration. Hopefully that helps. I really hate this feeling.

Otherwise doing ok. I went to a party last night and watched everyone eat cake. It wasn't a big deal. Yeah, I would have loved a bite, but I knew that a bite would bite me back by giving me terrible sugar cravings.

My other plan today is to head to a sports store to try and pick up a waist pack for walking that holds a water bottle and my phone. I have been using my ren faire leather belt and pouch and while that is rather stylish it isn't good to sweat on.
  • Hello All I am new to the site. I started a little over a month ago cutting calories and exercising. I am doing very well in my opinion. I just plan to keep on plugging away. A friend of mine has talked me into signing up for a 5K. I did and I plan to walk it. I still have a long way to go but I am working at it. I am thankful the one I signed up for is at the end of the month. I hope all is well with everyone and I certainly hope to meet many new people.
    Pam
  • Hello...I am also kind of new to this site. I joined and lurked around several months ago, but never posted anything or attempted to get control over my weight and other issues. Now it is June and I feel like I am ready. I want to do this now, and I don't want to ever have to start at day 1 again. I do not have a complete plan ready to go and I still have homework to do, but I am determined to make some changes. This week, I am going to avoid the drive thru, eat fruit and or veggies with every meal, and try really, really hard to make my way around the block.
    The support and encouragement on this site is amazing, and it's actually what brought me back. I hope everyone has an amazing June!
  • Welcome and good luck pjvw34 and Noggs!

NotTheCheat- Oh gosh, that sounds terrible. My mother's legs swell that way. I hope you get relieved of that soon!

As for myself, I'm dealing with some back issues that are making me hesitant to work out, since I am the overdramatic type and believe I will become a paraplegic or die if I jerk my spine any worse. (My sister is a horrible driver and I was riding with her and when she stopped suddenly because she wasn't paying attention my neck popped/cracked in 3 places and felt like my spine was in my throat. Now my back hurts when I deeply breath or sigh (hurts most when laying down).) My mother thinks it's whiplash. I want to exercise, but I am trying to resist... But I want to make progress... Yet, I know I won't make long term progress if I injure myself further.

-_- Summertime heat makes me nauseous and dizzy.. I vomit almost daily.. Working out just makes it hotter... Such a pain.. I try to stay super focused on my goals in the summer and rewrite them weekly because it is easy to say no to exercise when it's really hot..

Yesterday I turned down soda, icecream, and movie theater snacks... I felt bad saying no.. but I feel good now that I said no. And I got in 4 cups of water... (which is usually 0 for me). One of my goals for june is 4 cups or more daily.

That's all that's going on with me for right now. I'm going to try to workout Tuesday.
  • Pam – Welcome! Wow, a 5k – that is fantastic! It is great to have fitness goals to work towards. You have already lost 40 pounds? That is also fantastic.

Noggs – Also welcome! Test time is stress time so it makes sense to start slow for now and ramp up when you are done. Just those small changes you listed can have huge effects. Let us know how it goes!

Alyssa – You most definitely don’t want to do any permanent damage to your spine. That would be very, very bad. Are you seeing a doctor about it? Or at least a chiropractor? It seems like it is something you shouldn’t ignore. Things like that rarely just work themselves out on their own.

So I spent most of yesterday guzzling water, eating spinach (for potassium) and elevating my legs. I also broke down and took some diuretics. The swelling is much better today, but still not 100%. I didn’t get out for errands or walking, unfortunately. I finally felt like I was ready in the early evening and then it started to pour. Of course.

My physical therapy session is at 12:15. I am really excited and hope I can get my knees back into shape for squatting and deadlifting. I haven’t been doing any weight training recently and really need to get back to it. I told myself to wait until this appointment, although I could have been doing upper body stuff. Eh – no sense stressing myself out about it.
  • dgramie - oh, yes. We are on the same page then I think! I do still like the container gardens, they make it so much easier when you have a quick transition and don't have a tiller (I don't even have a FRIEND with a tiller, so when it is digging time, it is me that does it). Last year I was in your boat! Since I went to Peru in late May, I didn't plant anything before I left and was doing catch-up in June.

Did you get anything more in?

betsy - wow, your veggie garden sounds AMAZING. Do you actually get peaches from your peach tree? That must be divine. I have never grown onions, and you reminded me that I really wanted to grow peas this year, but. But... they need to be in around here very early in the spring.

How have you been doing getting back on track, by the way? And how is your back doing?

Nancy - heh, it was super hot here all week last week, so I suppose that hot weather moved up the east coast for your week-end. Has your swelling improved any? I've read that some people use lemon-water to deal with swelling. Did you find a good waist pack? When I was out yesterday I wanted to take water with me but had no place to hold it! I bet that some of the swelling, too, is from your knees if they are still bothering you?

Welcome pjvm34 & Noggs! pjvm34 - you're doing spectacularly and should be ready for your 5k walk. How awesome that you took the plunge and signed up!

Noggs - I think that that is a great way to get started. It's all about creating healthy habits that will get you through!

alyssa - the worst thing you can do for most back problems is not move. I think you're right to avoid weights and such, but I would encourage you to get out and walk! It will be good for your neck and back.

--

Okay, SO. I went to a music festival this weekend and saw Wilco, one of my favorite bands. Certainly would not have done that a year ago. I am still a bit achy (so much walking and so much dancing and like, many, many, many hours on my feet. Also the hollering and cheering. (There were loads of other bands there.)

Mavis Staples played before Wilco and five songs into her set this tremendous thunderstorm blew up, so they had to shut down the set and the stage (since it is basically a giant lightning rod) and people scrambled for shelter. Literally spent an hour crushed in with a billion other people in the beer tent while the storm raged.

I lost the friends I'd met there during the storm and cell service was terrible and I was driving home alone that night so I gave up looking, got a slice of pizza, and was standing around at the edge of the paved vending area, by the field where the main stage was, contemplating the giant mud puddle that the walkway had become and trying to decide whether and where to cross when this guy came up and stood beside me. I thought I was in his way, and moved, and he moved. So we chatted for a long time, and he was cute and /really/ fit and thought I was 20-something and partway into the compliments it dawned on me that he was hitting on me. Which is not something I'm used to. I suppose I don't go places where that... happens, or I'm just used to being my old self. But I then they started setting up the stage and I wanted to be up close so I was like, I'm gonna go overthere, they're setting up! and thought that I was inviting him to come with me, and he thought I wanted to get away from him and I didn't get his number. So, that was my weekend adventure.

Really, I don't actually want random people hitting on me, but this guy was pretty cool. And obviously we like the same kind of music and vibe. So I suppose I need to spend some time working on social skills, or at least when in a conversation with an interesting stranger you exchange phone numbers.

--

Also while traveling to and from I had another experience where I just saw myself in the mirror in a convenience store restroom and was like: what? is that me? I don't know why I see myself differently there than I do in the mirror at home, but I find my current frame startling in those circumstances.
  • Thanks for all the warm welcomes
    It is getting really hot here in central California. Like you NotTheCheat, I also am having problems with painful swelling in my feet and ankles...my feet seriously look like loaves of bread. I have gone to see my Dr. about it, and she just told me to cut down on the salt (DUHHHH...can't believe I wasted a co-pay on that advice). Anyway, cutting down on salt has been hard because I have a total beef jerky addiction. So, I have been drinking a lot more fluid, and getting up to walk around my office every so often, and it seems to help with the swelling some.
    I had a decent day. I ate more fresh veggies, and had a piece of fruit. Didn't walk outside though...maybe tomorrow.
    Best wishes to all for a fabulous day!
  • Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have struggled for years with retaining fluid on my ankles and legs. Pretty much every doctor I have questioned about this says that when I lose the excess weight it will improve. So now is the time! It is also one of the major reasons I have jumped into doing a 5K. As I said I am not running it only walking but nonetheless I am doing it. I can already see a difference in the way my feet feel. When I first started walking a few weeks ago they would burn and hurt. I am sure I was overdoing it a bit. Now, I am doing a little more. In the morning I walk .8 mile and in the evening I walk 2.2 miles. My feet do not hurt like they did when I first started. In a couple of weeks I will add another mile so that I will be where I need to be for the 5K. I am pretty excited. I will also be doing another one in July. In fact my goal is to do one a month until the end of the year. It will give me something to work on. I can work at improving my time each month.
    Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful day and WALK ON!
  • Nancy - Don't you hate watching people at those parties with their cake? It happens every sunday with cake and s'mores at my parent's house, and I get to sit and stare. I do hope your legs get better. I hate the swelling that comes with the heat, if that's what it is.

pjvw34 - Grats on signing up for a 5k! I keep meaning to, and just never get around to it. *whistles* Haha, but no. Welcome as well. It's always nice to see new faces around here though I tend to lurk. Sorry for the swells, maybe they'll go away soon. Let us hope for a quick summer!

Noggs - Welcome! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! I feel like joining this site, and actually sitting down with the motivation to do it is the first steps. We'll be with you through your journey. You got this. Swelling in the heat sucks, and it happens to the best of us. I really want my own personal AC and de-humidifier at all times.

alyssarof2012 - I thought it was me who just hated summer workouts. All over facebook, everyone is so amped for summer, but I'm hating the bugs, and the OVERPOWERING sweat. I felt like I needed to vomit yesterday, cause it was so humid and nasty. Let's hope for some not so terrible summer days.

mnemosyne - Oh Wilco! I haven't listened to them in years. I'm glad you had fun at the music festival. I know I enjoy when people hit on me randomly, even if I am creeped out because then I know I'm looking AH-mazing. It's even better when hot guys with good taste in music do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Been a lurker/slight poster for a while, and I'm trying to ease my way back into things since I re-kindled my love for 3fc a week or so ago.

Past few days have been emotional due to TOM, and some relationship issues, but they are all working themselves out. Minus like lack of communication with the relationship thing, though I think I'm just being needy and clingy so I'm just going to let it resolve itself. The dude I'm with and I have excellent conversations ALL the time, except for the past few days he's been distant. It drives me mad cause we literally talk all the time, but I'm trying not to dwell and stress cause stress makes me keep on the weight.

Oh, has anyone else had problems with ticks in their area? Every day I come home from my walk/jog/run, and freaking I find some blood sucker wanting to hang out with me always. I almost couldn't get the tick off me today, and it took some good stretching and pulling to get him off my back.
  • Noggs - I have never had a problem with swelling feet, fortunately. I mean, aside from the basic summer-associated stuff that most people get. It has never been painful. The only time I've had it be painful was associated with air travel. I really retain water after long international flights. I think the walking will help! You could also try compression socks when you are in the office, though I imagine those would not be fun to wear.

Pam - that is a GREAT walking schedule. I think a 5k is just 2.2 miles anyway, so you are ALREADY doing it every night? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure. You will get more and more fit as you keep going, for sure.

wishfuiiy - hah. Yes. I did really like Wilco's last album, but before that I hadn't listened to much of their stuff since Sky Blue Sky. They were really spectacular live, though. They're going on tour this summer with My Morning Jacket and Bob Dylan and I'm seriously considering going to see them then, too.

Ouch, ticks SCARE THE HECK out of me, I just hate them. Have you tried bug spray? I would consider it for sure. I think it IS formulated to keep ticks away!
  • Good morning all. I'm finally getting back into my routine after having had the grands for the weekend........takes a while to recover!

Mnem -- it sounds like you ended up having a great concert and getting hit on is a great compliment. Sounds like you're just out of practice -- I usually realize someone is trying to hit on me about an hour after I get home so you're not alone in missing some of the signals. On the garden, yes, the peaches actually come in. And they are so sweet and the juice just runs down so I tend to eat them outside. We have a mild growing season here so I can put in my onions and lettuce the same time I finally get around to putting in everything else. Back is fine -- I think I had a cramp in the muscle that has the sciatic nerve running through it -- went away after about 30 minutes.

Nancy -- hope that the leg swelling is a lot better this morning. How did the PT go? I keep thinking that I need to get into weight lifting, but so far my brain seems to be the only participant. I do strength training, but would like to do more weight training for the toning.

Wishfuiiy -- The ticks are really bothersome. While it's a pain to have to do it, you might want to put on some kind of strong repellant (like Deet) as there are some nasty diseases you can get from ticks.

This is my first really free week in ages, so I'm working on getting the endless mulch pile spread. I also want to make broccoli salad and need to really clean the floors in the house. But first to the gym and then the rest of the day will happen. Have a good one.
  • I did pick up a waist pack for walking that has a bottle holder with insulated bottle and a pocket big enough for my cell phone. I think this is the one: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15326886

I haven’t used it yet because even though the swelling went down a bit (but not all the way – still working on my electrolyte balances), my knees really hurt yesterday. That was likely from all the manipulation from the physical therapist. She was amazing. Unfortunately I messed up my COBRA payment somehow and now I am waiting on an appeal to get my COBRA back before scheduling any more appointments. Argh. She gave me some exercises in the meantime and gave me a list of things to avoid. Hopefully that will help strengthen the right muscles.

Otherwise it has felt like a couple of days of comedy of errors. My refrigerator stopped working for no apparent reason. I flipped the breaker and eventually had to get to the plug which had just decided to stop working in its current socket. Luckily it was an easy fix. I totally messed up my eating yesterday and didn’t eat until after 5:00. Between the fridge thing and then a job interview in the afternoon I just spaced and then found myself totally ravenous. I then treated myself to some sugar free frozen yogurt that said it was sweetened with stevia, but had sugar alcohols in it (which make me really sick). Then I managed to leave my passport at the job interview. I also missed Zumba this morning because I left the house a few minutes late and then the highway was totally crawling. Sigh. It is a beautiful day though so I am going to go for a nice long walk by the water and try out my new toy.
  • Hi all! I'm still new here, but I can definitely use the support. I'm at 397 now, and I've just recently started trying hard to lose the weight. I've got a few obstacles in my way - partial thryroid removal three years ago, I'm diabetic, and I have a serious problem with binge eating.

I'm trying to exercise every day (difficult when you work full time and have a house to keep up, but I'm trying hard!), and eat less and better food. But I'm confused about how to eat, I swear! All these years of "eat no carbs," "eat only certain carbs," "eat 1200 calories a day," "eat x number of calories for your weight," and on and on and ON. I don't know how to eat to lose weight anymore! So frustrating!

I lost 2 pounds last week, but then in the past couple of days somehow I've put 3 pounds back on and I swear I haven't eaten more than usual. So frustrating.

Sorry, I had to vent!