Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 4 of 13
Go to
  • We're home from France. I'm happy to report that I weighed in this morning within my maintenance range. Woohoo! It was less about the food choices and more about the walking, I'm sure.

Serving sizes were larger than I expected, even with meals with multiple courses. It's a good thing I've had some practice leaving some of my food on the plate. Veggies and fruits were less in abundance than I anticipated but I sought them out as much as possible. There was plenty of abundance when it came to bread, wine/champagne, cheese, and sweets. I enjoyed every bite and sip that I took!

The gardens were lovely although everyone reported that they were two weeks to a month "behind schedule" due to a cool, wet spring. Paris is just what I imagined Paris to be -- a place of magic and light and walking and shopping and art and architecture.

Last year, I managed to gain more than 6 pounds in the 2 weeks following my trip from Ireland. I think that was because I was in denial about jet lag. I thought if I denied it, that would minimize its effect. I'm trying a different strategy this year. I'm planning a lot of self care, including careful food planning and exercise so that I get back down to the low end of my maintenance range.
  • BethfromDaytonThat is TOTALLY Inspiring! Thank you for taking the time to give plenty of detail. You are now my "Snacking-at-Work" model. This will help, fer sure!

spanks
  • gardenerjoy - sounds like you had a wonderful time! Take good care of yourself this weekend

Someone asked about a bodega a few days ago. It is what I, and many NYers call a small grocery store or deli. I am Puerto Rican (born here, very Americanized) and that is what my parents called a small grocery store in a ...marginal neighborhood. And, even though my neighborhood is really not that bad, it is not as nice as where I grew up (my parents moved us out of their immigrant neighborhood and into the best school district they could afford) so it seems appropriate. I could just as easily call them delis, but I guess they are just not as pleasant as what I would call a deli.

Anyway. My weight was down more than I expected - three pounds!!! I wanted to celebrate by - hahaha, eating lots of sugar and taking the day "off", but I did not. I had planned two treats for myself - pasta salad for dinner (all those carbs!!!) and something sugary that I could not overdo. I bought a little 4-pk of Nutter Butters and they were great! If I had bought a whole package it would have been pretty difficult to stop

I feel - hungry. But I am almost positive that it is just craving for more pasa salad! If I am still hungry at 8ish, I can have a 120-cal yogurt. No more dinner. It's not OK!
  • Hi Coaches!
    My day in Denver turned crazy….I had to go clear across town for a second consult. We did end up eating out and I had an old favorite at the mexican restaurant which was DH's choice for the day. The good news is that I just didn't enjoy it as I used to so I'm ready to come up with a new and healthier favorite. credit. I was so tired when I got home I slept from 4-10pm so missed dinner. That made for an ok calorie day. The other good news is I get to say hi to everyone since apparently I have good internet at midnight. lol

BBE, yay for sane amounts of top shelf snacks! Your neck of the woods must be quite beautiful right now. I love city walking! When I come visit I will remember my umbrella, though, especially since you influenced me in my choice to take it out of the thrift box.

sparks17, yay for a positive weigh in and kudos for choosing a reasonable treat. It was so great that you came here and vented the other day instead of giving in to your cravings!

spanky, it will be easy to stay on the board with a solid plan. BTW-I have a plan for healthy tacos and we enjoy them quite often.

gardenerjoy, glad you enjoyed your trip and it's great that you already have your two week plan in place.

Beth(fromDayton), thanks for taking the time to explain some of your "new behaviors" and I enjoy reading how you repainted your self image. Kudos on your successful 5 month anniversary without an unplanned snack at work! It's similar with me at work everyone else eats all day and there are always treats coming in for mass consumption.

nationalparker, I'm glad you made that glass of iced tea and checked in with us! My compliments to you for doing so much baking and such little tasting! Safe travels!

Beverlyjoy, glad you are back! I understand the difficulty you have with your sister's many issues. My sis has so many, too, and it breaks my heart. I just have to keep reminding myself that my food is MY issue and it IS something I can deal with. I want to say kudos for keeping up with your exercise! That is such an effective long term strategy!

MaryAnn, I'm glad your feet are doing so well! Yay for the self care you gave them by seeking help. What progress you have made with DH being gone so much. (In Alaska it's similar with the fishermen)

IBelieveinMe2, yay for continued short walks. I hope you're feeling better.

onebyone, big kudos for turning down the treats in coffee shops….they are very counterproductive….

Rosebud, kudos for continuing to try new things at the Y!

Jo(vegan...rex), hope your stress is easing. Yay for working on your Beck skills/food plan anyway.
  • Friday - WARNING: National Doughnut Day
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at Goodwill to check out books. Found a neat CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) book with envelops containing the clues for two murders to be solved. Special CREDIT moi for leaving it behind; just because the format was new to me doesn't mean I have to read it, LOL. Was diverted to watch a large tree limb being removed and ground into wood chips. I did admire the skill of the bucket operator going up between wiring and other branches.

Skipped my evening snack, CREDIT moi, because I'd overdone my afternoon snack, Ouch. It was an attempt at balance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Welcome home! Gotta love, "I enjoyed every bite and sip that I took!"

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for fast internet at midnight when all the skiers are in the hot-tubs and can't use electronic devices.

spanky - Kudos for thinking about strategies to vary your foods so you can "stay on the board" when "TACOS!" calls your name.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Thanks for the thoughts about staying away from snacks at work. My own weight was solidly built upon vending machine candy bars. Kudos on your five month anniversary of no-snacks-at-work.

sparks17 – Yay for free Shakespeare in Central Park. N.Y. has some of the bestest. And drooling over "Shepherd's Salad." Congrats on the NSV of loose jeans. Thanks for the definition of 'bodega' - I'd never known when to use that word for a 'corner store.'

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 5
    Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

Pick Your Diets Now

To pick your diets, you can tap the following sources:
    . . .. . .
    • Investigate commercial weight-loss programs.
    • Look into nonprofit weight-loss programs.
    • Go online to investigate reputable Internet-based diets.
    • Ask a nutritionist to develop a diet specific to your lifestyle and health needs.
    • Join a weight-loss program at a local gym, hospital, or community center.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 67.
  • I'm celebrating National Doughnut Day with the observation that it's been 3 years, 9 months, and 22 days since I've eaten a doughnut. I went cold turkey off of junk food after reading The End of Overeating by David Kessler. My cravings disappeared after a couple of weeks for most of that stuff, but I was still having doughnut cravings 10 months later. I won't eat another, because who wants to go through that twice?

I suppose, at this point, I could happily eat two or three bites of a doughnut without triggering a craving. But it wouldn't be as much fun as being able to say that I haven't had a doughnut in 3 years, 9 months, and 22 days.

Still jet-lagged, but I got about a 6 hour stretch of sleep last night, twice as much as the night before, so I'm seeing improvement already.

I have a food plan and an exercise plan. I'm baking my first loaf of bread since our return, I'll wash lettuce from my garden to make salads for lunch and supper, and I'll do some tidying work in my overgrown garden.

BillBlueEyes: I'd be tempted by the CSI book for it's special format, too. I'm currently reading a "true crime" book merely because the crime was in Paris during WWII. It's not a genre I've read before and I don't think I really have the right mindset for it -- I suspect true crime aficionados have special spots in the brain to store clues from the investigation so they can anticipate the reappearance at the trial.

Lexxiss: I always feel like it's something of a bittersweet accomplishment to realize that an old favorite isn't a favorite anymore. Good for you for being motivated to find a new healthier favorite.

sparks17: good for you for a treat that is completely bounded. That was a very useful concept for me.

spanky: cool that BethfromDayton gave you inspiration for changing habits at work.
  • Trying to Remember My Beck Principles!
    We came up to the lake last night and I began snacking on some of the snacks we bought for the kids. (My son has a friend up with us.) I feel like when we get to the lake, someone pulls my Beck principles out from under me when I walk through the front door. Anyway, this morning, after eating planned cereal, I unconsciously began munching on some cheese popcorn (DS's favorite) that was on the island counter. After 2 quick small handfuls, I thought, "What am I doing?!? Remember my Beck principles!!! This popcorn should be NO CHOICE!!!" I immediately sealed the bag and put it away in the cupboard. CREDIT for stopping, but what was I thinking?!?! I thought about my snacking the night before and, although tempted to be disgusted with myself, I again STOPPED and gave myself CREDIT for at least catching myself (finally!) and stopping myself in the act of snacking on unplanned extras. CREDIT for choosing not to berate myself for my slip-up! That is HUGE for me!!! Thank God I caught myself in that moment. I will remember that moment if I begin to go off plan any other time this weekend, and JUST STOP!!! NO CHOICE!!! Stick to my Beck principles and my plan! Do I want to have the immediate gratification of snacks OR do I want to have the lasting reward of good health and weight loss? That is what it all boils down to. Now if I could only stamp that question on my brain and forehead to remember constantly, I would be okay!!! And........ I will be okay, because I will repeat that question to myself whenever I am tempted this weekend.

I didn't take the time to get my formal 15+ minute walk in yesterday. No excuses!!! Just simply did not take the time or make it a priority. I will get 15+ minutes in every day this weekend, though. Somehow easier to do up here at the lake, because there is a convenient circle in our neighborhood that takes about 20 minutes to walk. It is nice because I can decide to go one more circle or not depending on how my foot is holding up. And the dogs love it!!! Little pups come out to bark at us all along the way.

gardenerjoy: Welcome home from France!!! Somehow I missed the "memo" that you were going. I've just been treading water here lately and skimming quickly through posts. Hope you had an incredible trip! And being within your maintenance range upon your return home is awesome!!!

BillBlueEyes: Here's to "an attempt at balance" (with your snacks)! The story of my adult life ~ trying to find balance in all things. Always a challenge.

Lexxiss: Thank you for wishing that I feel better. I finally do, so no excuses for Tuesday a.m. with the personal trainer. It will be our first session. I am really nervous but excited to get started! Wow, you sure took a power nap ~ from 4-10pm!!! You must have been exhausted! Yes, that is one sure way to be okay with calories ~ sleep. It sometimes feels like the only way I can avoid extra snacks at night (just going to bed). Great to hear from you!

sparks17: I love pasta salad, too!!! Yummy!!! Congrats on being down 3 pounds!!!

bethFromDayton: I love how you said that you "repainted your self-image....!!!" I need to do that! I tend to think I will "always" be a person with little willpower and the inability to delay gratification. Then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Wow, no unplanned snacks at work since January is just incredible!!! Way to exercise that resistance muscle..... over and over again! You inspire me so much!!!

spanky: Here's to "staying on the board!" Sometimes, that is all we can manage.... and it is better than trying to take on too many big waves and falling off the board!

Beverlyjoy: Welcome back and CREDIT for having the courage to post! 3 pounds is minimal damage from the "downward spiral" you described. I am so sorry about your sister's condition and your resulting heartbreak for her. Just remember that the best thing YOU can do for her is to be the healthiest person you can be, so that you can be there for her at your best! No amount of eating will take her pain (or yours) away. Keep on carrying on and you will be back on board in no time!

to everyone else!!!
  • On Plan oday. Trying become The Person Who Does Not Eat Unplanned Snacks At Work just like Beth from Dayton! Kind of tough when it's Friday in the Lab, all the work is done and the dance music is playing. Snacks and Order-In lunch abounds!

Finally. It is Puppy Weekend!!! Headin' down to Boo's Bulldog Farm to pick him up on Sunday. Exciting but still bittersweet. I cried over Finn this morning again, nearly a year after his death but it's a measure of my love for him and not despair. There will be quite a pack of dogs waiting with Jesus for me when I go into The White Light but Finn will Pack Leader! That said, Onward to the Bulldog Farm!

Puppy names are flying through the air these days, still don't know what we'll come up with on the long ride home.

Happy Friday,

spanks
  • lexxiss - yay for good internet, even if it is at midnight!

Bill - are you on a book diet?

gardenerjoy - you make me laugh! It probably is more fun to be able to say how long you have gone without a doughnut than to actually eat one!

Ibelieveinme -
    Quote:
    CREDIT for choosing not to berate myself for my slip-up! That is HUGE for me!!! Thank God I caught myself in that moment. I will remember that moment if I begin to go off plan any other time this weekend, and JUST STOP!!! NO CHOICE!!! Stick to my Beck principles and my plan! Do I want to have the immediate gratification of snacks OR do I want to have the lasting reward of good health and weight loss? That is what it all boils down to. Now if I could only stamp that question on my brain and forehead to remember constantly, I would be okay!!! And........ I will be okay, because I will repeat that question to myself whenever I am tempted this weekend.

spanky -
    Quote:
    The Person Who Does Not Eat Unplanned Snacks At Work
    LOL!!

Well, today is rainy and nasty - which make me want to eat everything. I really is amazing how many circumstances make me want to eat everything But I am not. I only ate half my breakfast this morning as I just did not want it - I wanted something far tastier...but I went back and ate the other half at 10ish because I was hungry! So lunch is a little late today, but I am doing ok otherwise.

The weekend, as usual, is only half-planned, but I am getting the hang of making good choices as I go and not allowing myself to pretend that weekend/restaurant/party meals don't count!

Day 20 is Get back on track. I absolutely LOVE the graphic on page 167. I should copy it and put it on an index card...but I doubt it will fit! Something about seeing it like that really speaks to me, moret han just a Get back on track card. Hmmm...maybe I can shrink it?

ETA: trying to see if this will work - https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/966482_10201292198292187_220586324_o.jpg

Yay - it did! That is the back of my daughter's head today in the Alps.
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – It's the season to buy too many blueberries. CREDIT moi since I'm not buying too many packages of ramen noodles or cookies. It rained all day with the leftover storm that hit Florida earlier - certainly more than an inch. The Boston Globe called it "torrential rain" which seemed appropriate.

Eating was only OK. Evening snack was fresh pineapple which always puts me in a healthy food mentality. I did avoid the several stores handing out FREE doughnuts yesterday on National Doughnut Day. I'm pleased with that since I even thought about which one's I'd choose.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Remarkable achievement to have gone that long without a doughnut.

spanky - Yay for the "bittersweet" process of moving forward. Love the image of a pack of dogs waiting for you with Finn as Pack Leader.

IBelieveInMe2 – Yep, Kudos for catching yourself on that cheese popcorn. Sure enough, your Beck strategies travel to the lake with your body.

sparks17 – I clicked on your jpg thinking I was about to see Beck's graphic from page 167 of the pink book, but love the picture of your DD's head in the alps. ["on a book diet?" Yep, I'm trying to wean myself away from Amazon One Click - too many books in this house already.]

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 5
    Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

what are you thinking?

What's been going through your mind? When I told you about the importance of slow and steady weight loss, did you have any sabotaging thoughts? For example, did you find yourself thinking (as many dieters have revealed to me), I have to lose 15 pound in a month for a wedding [or some other special occasion] ... I have to go on a crash diet!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 68.
  • Hi becksters - quick post. Thursday DH were off to my son's house. He is in the hospital. They need our help. My food has not been crazy, but, a bit too much salt and sugar mixed in. I think he will come home Sunday or Monday.

I'll post later... I hear my granddaughter waking up.

Send some positive thoughts to my son please.

Thanks.... B
  • Hi Coaches!

I got online this morning and have been using my time to find some massage/accupressure techniques to relieve an ear issue...seems I have some fluid build up and can't hear very well. I did have a dinner switch (legitimate) last night but otherwise followed my plan...resisting an off plan snack after dinner and sticking with my planned one. credit. I've weighed this morning have a written plan emailed to my buddy and will anticipate goodies will be at work which require saying no choice.

Beverlyjoy, I'm sending supportive thoughts to your family today, especially to your DS. Take care and thanks for letting us know.
  • Saturday--still OP today. Have decided to switch to my "Plan B" diet that Beck had me line up as a fall back. Reading up on South each Diet and going in that direction since I need a little more structure.

This week I exercised 4 [maybe 5 if there's time tonight] times. This is a KUDO for me of late. No unplanned snacks at work yesterday or today. Kudo.

I have the whole week off to get our puppy off to a good start around our house. That seems to be what it takes to get them in the swing of things. Yes. Summer. Week Off. Puppy. Sweeeet!

Onward,

spanky
  • Bill - the rain was pretty torrential here too!

BeverlyJoy - Oh, I am sorry to hear that your son is in the hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with your family!

Lexxiss - hope you are not in any pain!

spanky - exercise, no unplanned snacks, puppy, vacation -
    The South Beach diet is great for a structured low-carb

Today I was kind of open for dinner, so I had not planned past lunch, when my husband came home from food shopping with a box of my favorite donuts. I gave him the evil eye for it!! Could I have one? Yes - I had plenty of calorie-room to fit one in tonight. But I decided to say NO CHOICE, because I had not been planning anything sugary. We are going out to dinner tomorrow so I was planning for tomorrow to be a higher calorie/carb day...and I just do not need that donut! I am actually under my minimum calories today (I was planning a yogurt and/or a banana for around 8ish) and part of my mind is doing the excuse dance frantically, trying to get the rational part of me to pay attention. No. I am sure that I will have a great meal out tomorrow, possibly with a great dessert (I have a calorie range in mind) and there is no need for empty calories today.

Delayed gratification. It is a thing.
  • Hello coaches,
    All is well here...we have the sunny weather and I love that! I went to water aerobics this morning and couldn't do racquetball since today was the day that arents stay in dance class to preview the performance that we will see next week. Eating today is OP but I did have a day of snack attack but, luckily the scale didn't reflect it....

Only 8 more wake ups until summer break!!!