Bell Pepper Rant

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I hate bell peppers.
    The sight of them makes me gag. I'm not kidding. I get like this with any pepper but bell peppers are the worst.
    Me too, RadaTwirl, me too. And my brother eats them like CANDY! *shudder*
  • I'm not by any means a picky eater, and I LOVE bell peppers, especially the tiny multicolored sweet peppers.

However, last night I made peppers on a way that even passionate pepper haters might find edible.

I picked the smallest peppers out of the bag (smaller than a thumb) and wrapped each in 1/3 slice of bacon, then microwave until the bacon is crispy.

These are a low-carb, but not low-calorie treat, so I only had a few.

Hubby says deep fring or wrapping in bacon "doesn't count," because he's pretty sure that anything can be made edible by deepfrying and/or wrapping in bacon.
  • Nah, that is just a method to spoil perfectly good bacon!
  • Skinnyminnie W., thanks for the laughs!! I thought your first post was great then i saw this -

Quote: I appreciate y'all joining me in my rant. It helped to get it off my chest! And it was cheaper than going and buying some bell peppers so I could run over them with my van, then back up and run over them again!

I suppose you might have nightmares if I told that I used thick slices of green pepper (or red or yellow) as an edible spoon for my homemade chili
  • Quote: You mean like this?

(This is one of my recent sculptures exploring food - pre-glaze)
    This is AMAZING!!! Hope you'll post after it's glazed.
  • I use to not like them either, but I do now. I think they're great
    There's a lot of stuff I never thought I'd eat that I love now, sometime's it just takes time to get use to the taste.

There's plenty more foods I'm not fond of that I want to start eating.
  • Oh, I'm so on board with this post! Peppers are not something I like. And if they are in something, I pick every last one of them out. I don't mind if they flavor something (as long as it's not overpowering the dish), but I won't eat them raw or cooked.

I have eaten yellow and orange peppers which aren't bad. But I don't go out of my way to purchase them.

It behoves me why anyone would buy those god forsaken GREEN peppers....UGH!!

The one veggie I will NEVER eat is asparagus. Too strong in taste. Ick!!
  • mars735, that is one scary pepper! It could be the pepper of my nightmares!

JerseyPAGirl, yeah, I have to pick them out - even the microscopic bits - and if there are big pieces and they've tainted the dish too much, count me out. Green are the worst.

If it's fresh and roasted properly, and not overseasoned, asparagus I can handle. When I was growing up, my parents used to eat this foul, greyish canned asparagus that stunk to high heaven. :P That, I would never eat.
  • So what do pepper and onion haters do about traditional dishes that start with mirepoix? Pretty much every braise or long cooked French derived dish ever.
  • What I want to know is what is the difference between green and red/orange/yellow bell peppers?? I don't eat any of them, hehe! Skinny, I about peed down my leg reading all your ranting entries here!
    Notthecheat.....beautiful! I LOVE the sculpture! Would you consider painting green and selling??
    I will try raw and stuffed non green bell peppers this weekend in the name of science and solidarity.
  • O tonight I made green, red, and yellow bell peppers stuffed with a mix of buffalo, garlic, fresh basil, onion, mushrooms, and quinoa.....topped with part skim mozzerella cheese. I tasted one bite with everything in it and, while not my fave, it wasn't horrible. I had a small bowl of the filling. DH and his sister said it was the shizzy and I said rock on! He has two halves for lunch tomorrow, yay.