Intuitive Eating #18

You're on Page 7 of 35
Go to
  • Hello to all!

I'm not really hungry when I wake up in the morning so I usually just have a cup of decaf hazelnut coffee to get me going. I listen to my body and when my belly starts rumbling I will eat. Some days I need to eat like a orange or banana mid day but usually i'm not hungry until around 11:30 then I ask myself what sounds good to eat. Normally it's a subway grilled chicken teriyaki salad or some days I may eat a cheeseburger and small fry. For dinner I eat light because i'm not real hungry but then I have evenings where I am. I'm averaging around 2-3 lbs a week so far.
  • Quote: Hello to all!

I'm not really hungry when I wake up in the morning so I usually just have a cup of decaf hazelnut coffee to get me going. I listen to my body and when my belly starts rumbling I will eat. Some days I need to eat like a orange or banana mid day but usually i'm not hungry until around 11:30 then I ask myself what sounds good to eat. Normally it's a subway grilled chicken teriyaki salad or some days I may eat a cheeseburger and small fry. For dinner I eat light because i'm not real hungry but then I have evenings where I am. I'm averaging around 2-3 lbs a week so far.
    wow, that is fantastic! So this may be a dumb question, but how do you know when you are not hungry enough for a full meal, like if you feel hungry, your stomach growling etc, how do you know an orange will satisfy vs lunch? I know that will be my biggest thing to learn, what my hunger NEEDS, do I need to pop in a few grapes and keep going or do I need to stop and eat a meal...I think I need to get away from frozen meals because if I make a frozen entree I'll eat the whole thing whether I feel satisfied half way through or not because 1. I know they are low calories so I want to just eat it all and 2. it seems portioned controlled already so let me just eat it all.. I need to stop doing that. I'm definitely gonna learn a lot here and of course I am still reading the book so I'm sure it will answer a lot of these questions I have so I apologize in advance if I ask things that will be revealed in the book as well.
    How about weighing.. does IE encourage us to weigh often? I know on page 1 of this thread the lady there talked about weighing so I'm assuming we still should be and I definitely want to as I am still actively trying to lose weight so I'd like to see my progress but I'm measuring every two weeks as well so I use both as a guage of progress. How often do you all weigh?
  • Ok I've been going back and reading some of the old IE threads and found this, so helpful on the hunger!

Assess Your Hunger Level

The hunger scale is a way to describe your level of hunger, by describing it you become more conscious and better able to assess your hunger and need for food. You can lose weight and never gain it back, if you eat only when you’re physically hungry (a 3 on the hunger scale) and only eat until you are satisfied (5 on the hunger scale). If you often eat until you are uncomfortably stuffed you will gain weight, especially when your physical activity is limited.

0 – So hungry that you are not hungry
    1 – Headache, shaky, too hungry to care what or how much you eat—you WILL overeat
    2 – Losing concentration, grumpy—seriously hungry – your stomach is empty, you must eat now
    3 – I’m hungry, stomach growling
    4 – Not hungry, but not satisfied
    5 – Satisfied, comfortable, not hungry
    6 – In slight discomfort, you feel the food
    7 – Uncomfortable – sleepy, sluggish, you want to change into loser clothes
    8 – “I ate too much – I am stuffed” Very uncomfortable, stomach hurts
    9 – Overly stuffed
    10 – In pain. Thanksgiving Dinner – take a nap
  • Quote: wow, that is fantastic! So this may be a dumb question, but how do you know when you are not hungry enough for a full meal, like if you feel hungry, your stomach growling etc, how do you know an orange will satisfy vs lunch? I know that will be my biggest thing to learn, what my hunger NEEDS, do I need to pop in a few grapes and keep going or do I need to stop and eat a meal...I think I need to get away from frozen meals because if I make a frozen entree I'll eat the whole thing whether I feel satisfied half way through or not because 1. I know they are low calories so I want to just eat it all and 2. it seems portioned controlled already so let me just eat it all.. I need to stop doing that. I'm definitely gonna learn a lot here and of course I am still reading the book so I'm sure it will answer a lot of these questions I have so I apologize in advance if I ask things that will be revealed in the book as well.
    How about weighing.. does IE encourage us to weigh often? I know on page 1 of this thread the lady there talked about weighing so I'm assuming we still should be and I definitely want to as I am still actively trying to lose weight so I'd like to see my progress but I'm measuring every two weeks as well so I use both as a guage of progress. How often do you all weigh?
    It takes some getting use to on the hunger level. But I failed to mention that on may way into work I stop at starbucks and get my usual Decaf Tall Skinny mocha (only 110 calories but 11gms protein) so by mid morning my belly is growling a little so the orange/banana pretty much satisfies my hunger until lunch. But usually i'm not hungry for lunch until around 2:00. Some days depending on what I eat during the day dinner maybe light or a good meal. But your post above pretty much sums it all up. As far as pushing my plate away I have yet to do that because I use a small lunch plate so I don't over load my meals. I weigh in once a week and eventually will stop that and just use my clothes as a guide line!!
  • You are close to your goal like myself and I can't wait just to use my clothes and measuring tape as my guide instead of my scale I was able to read a couple more chapters in IE last night.. its not a quick read for sure lol I still haven't had a lot of my questions answered by the book yet but I have a feeling they are in there and don't want to keep bombarding you all with questions the author will eventually get to lol But I did do well yesterday, even had two small bite sized candy bars before bed last night. I was hungry, had a craving but didn't want to eat just to eat, didn't want fruit just because I know it's lower in calories and better for me, I wanted to satisfy that hunger and craving together so I probably ignored my hunger for 30 minutes or more until I knew exactly what I wanted! chocolate! lol so the two tiny candy bars hit the spot and I didn't feel guilty for once! I'm trying to throw everything I know about calories/carbs/dieting tips out of my head and just eat what I'm really hungry for. Of course I still want to nourish my body with good food but I don't want low calorie, less carbs to be the reason I'm reaching for it. Its gonna be a long re-learning process for sure but I'm excited about it.
  • Quote: You are close to your goal like myself and I can't wait just to use my clothes and measuring tape as my guide instead of my scale I was able to read a couple more chapters in IE last night.. its not a quick read for sure lol I still haven't had a lot of my questions answered by the book yet but I have a feeling they are in there and don't want to keep bombarding you all with questions the author will eventually get to lol But I did do well yesterday, even had two small bite sized candy bars before bed last night. I was hungry, had a craving but didn't want to eat just to eat, didn't want fruit just because I know it's lower in calories and better for me, I wanted to satisfy that hunger and craving together so I probably ignored my hunger for 30 minutes or more until I knew exactly what I wanted! chocolate! lol so the two tiny candy bars hit the spot and I didn't feel guilty for once! I'm trying to throw everything I know about calories/carbs/dieting tips out of my head and just eat what I'm really hungry for. Of course I still want to nourish my body with good food but I don't want low calorie, less carbs to be the reason I'm reaching for it. Its gonna be a long re-learning process for sure but I'm excited about it.
    I do know I had to go back and research the IE book from time to time because it is a lot to absorb. Yes it's nice to be able to have that little bit of chocolate and not beat yourself up. I'm gradually getting away from the diet mentality, it will take some getting use to but eventually eating the IE way will be my way completely. I eat mostly good nourishing foods because that's what I want to eat not because it's good for me. But love when I want to eat a York peppermint pattie I can.
  • Just had to share another small accomplishment.. so this morning (I seriously need to go grocery shopping) I had chips and a cheese/meat dip to eat for breakfast, I put more in the bowl than I needed and more chips than I needed for sure and started to eat, the first couple of bites were yummy but the 4th or 5th bite was.. eh, whatever.. I took guage of how hungry I was and I just wasn't hungry anymore so I gave the rest to my son and brought up a banana to put on my desk in case I need a snack later before lunch since breakfast was so light but I feel completely satisfied right now (I work at home btw which is why I'm at my desk lol)
  • I so miss you guys. I can't get 3fc to even work for me most of the time. I have typed so many posts and then have 3fc freeze up on me and lose all of it. Doesn't happen on any other site so not sure what it is. I get warnings from McAfee about it a lot. So just for the record, I do try to get here.

I am glad to see so many Newbies and how good everyone is doing.

spryng I love your accomplishment. I've done that some but not to that extent. Congratulations.

As for how often to weigh, Carolr had an article recently if you want to go back and read it of a woman who had learned how to do IE that works for her. I don't remember exactly but I think she weighs everyday, but if I remember correctly and Carolr can correct this if I'm wrong, but how often you weigh should depend on how it works for you. Some IE people don't weigh at all, some monthly, some weekly etc. Everyday is what works for me as it helps me stay honest and on track but if I miss a day or so or can't get to a scale for a while... no big deal because I know it will be okay and I can weigh again when I can. It helps me to see that weight is coming off even if it is only .2 of a lb every once in a while.

I'll check back in when I can.
  • Tried to edit but couldn't get it to work.

The article Carolr posted is on page one of this IE thread if you want to read it. It has a lot of good helpful info about weighing etc. That article has really helped me to get to the place that IE works for me. I think it would help any one who reads it.
  • What I've learned so far...
    I've been trying IE for a week now and have had a few revelations...

1. The biggest habit I need to break is of doing anything else while eating. I'm used to eating while reading or watching TV and that just means that I'm not paying attention to my food. Plus I want to keep eating until the other activity is over and that can take a while (which equals a lot more food)

2. If I let myself get overly hungry it's much harder to eat slowly and with intent, the hunger and shakiness overwhelm the taste and pleasure in eating that I'm aiming for. So I've started carrying cheese sticks with me for times when I can't get a real meal for a while. However...

3. Low fat cheddar cheese sticks are a travesty (part-skim mozzarella is OK though)

I've had a pretty good week all in all, it's a relief to not be constantly worrying about how many calories I've had or have left. And letting go of those thoughts seems to have created some space in my psyche for doing other things to take care of my self - taking time to do a little yoga, or going to bed on time and getting a full night's sleep.

On the other hand, I haven't had any real challenges yet, and I do have some coming up this weekend. I'm going to a conference this afternoon which continues all day tomorrow. Having dinner at my mother's house this evening, and with some friends tomorrow evening. All that equals situations where I won't have complete control over what food is available to me. I'm hopeful that this week of new calmness about eating will carry over.
  • Pattygirl63 thanks! Yeah I did read that on page 1 so its nice to know I can weigh if I want. I got to the part of the book last night that says to throw out the scale but I'm not ready to do that yet, maybe when I hit maintenance but I still have 15 lbs to lose before then so I want to weigh at least once a week still
    Speaking of weighing, I did weigh yesterday (thurs are my WI days) and I didn't lose anything this week, didn't gain either so I pulled out the measuring tape and I'm down a half inch in my waist, yay! I'll take progress where ever I can find it I probably didn't see that loss on the scale because I didn't exercise at all this week really.. tuesday I did a 12 min HIIT but that was it.. I need to get back to my every other day of C25K and hitting my steps each day again, I just feel better when I do.

So another accomplishment I want to share with you all:

Dinner last night, hubby makes my FAVORITE spaghetti.. I was craving pasta, so all day I listened to my body and ate light etc, dinner I was almost giving myself permission to just go crazy. So I get my bowl and sit down to eat, I eat about half and think I'm honestly fully now, I felt full.. so I thought you know I'll just eat the rest in a bit and put it in the fridge.. well maybe an hour goes by, I'm still smelling the house smell like spaghetti and I just WANT to eat more. I'm not hungry at all but I go get my bowl.. I sit down with it... I just HOLD it.. hold it.. hold it.. look at it and think, what am I doing? I'm NOT hungry... I probably held that dang bowl for two hours! then I threw it out.. I know this all sounds silly but this is HUGE for me! spaghetti is my kryptonite, most pasta dishes are but I just told myself if I get "real" hunger later I'll heat up another bowl.. well I never did get hungry. So before I went to bed I told myself if I wake up hungry I'll eat some for breakfast. I just keep reminding myself to get out of that "last supper" mentality that even if the kids ate it all etc we can always make another batch (we have plenty of leftovers but still, had to remind myself its not the last time I'll have spaghetti lol) so anyway, there is my accomplishment for yesterday.. I am taking it day by day for sure.

I do have a question.. do any of you enjoy a glass of wine etc still? I had a half a glass before dinner yesterday, normally I'd have a full glass so this too was a good thing for me, but it got me thinking, since wine has calories etc should we only drink it if we are hungry??? how do you incorporate alcohol?? The book hasn't talked at all about it yet, I read a few more pages last night, I've been going through it very slowly, making notes and highlighting passages that is gonna help me.
  • Quote: I've been trying IE for a week now and have had a few revelations...

1. The biggest habit I need to break is of doing anything else while eating. I'm used to eating while reading or watching TV and that just means that I'm not paying attention to my food. Plus I want to keep eating until the other activity is over and that can take a while (which equals a lot more food)

2. If I let myself get overly hungry it's much harder to eat slowly and with intent, the hunger and shakiness overwhelm the taste and pleasure in eating that I'm aiming for. So I've started carrying cheese sticks with me for times when I can't get a real meal for a while. However...

3. Low fat cheddar cheese sticks are a travesty (part-skim mozzarella is OK though)

I've had a pretty good week all in all, it's a relief to not be constantly worrying about how many calories I've had or have left. And letting go of those thoughts seems to have created some space in my psyche for doing other things to take care of my self - taking time to do a little yoga, or going to bed on time and getting a full night's sleep.

On the other hand, I haven't had any real challenges yet, and I do have some coming up this weekend. I'm going to a conference this afternoon which continues all day tomorrow. Having dinner at my mother's house this evening, and with some friends tomorrow evening. All that equals situations where I won't have complete control over what food is available to me. I'm hopeful that this week of new calmness about eating will carry over.
    You sound like you are doing fantastic! I feel like you, its so foreign to now worry about "am I eating enough?" "Am I going over my calories?" gonna take me quite awhile to break the diet mentality as well but I'm excited about doing so I think with the challenges you are gonna do great! You are already thinking ahead about it which is good, I did an entire weekend of camping (think smores and lots and lots of junk food lol ) and I didn't over eat once, I just kept thinking, I honestly don't want to feel stuffed and then I'll be sleepy etc and for me when I'm stuffed my stomach will bloat and I didn't want bloat in my bathing suit lol my stomach is already my problem area, don't need to enhance it LOL yeah I know, crazy thoughts but it worked for me LOL I have learned that if I only eat until satisfied I just feel thin, even after a meal, I love that feeling. I know since I'm still losing weight I don't look thin but it's a feeling I like, I don't feel blah from too much food, I'm not bloated and I'm not sleepy or running to the bathroom from eating too much, all those are wins in my book But definitely keep up the great work! You are gonna do great this weekend
  • Quote: But definitely keep up the great work! You are gonna do great this weekend
    Thanks Spryng! It's so nice to hear encouraging words
  • Quote:
    How much weight have you lost on IE? and how long have you been on it?
    I started this thread in 2006. I lost 40lb but gained some back. I'm down to where I was before. I've never got the last 30 off but hoping to this time.
  • Ok so I have downloaded the Intuitive Eating book, lots to read but I am going to try again to get off the diet wagon called Yo Yo and give this a shot. I am curious about one thing tho. Working out, it really suppresses my appetite, so I am guessing I still go with my hungry pain signals? So much to learn, so hard to let go of everything I have learned over the years......gotta eat breakfast to get your metabolism going, gotta eat 6 small meals a day to keep it going, lower your carbs, don't eat after 7pm, eat within an hour of working out...on and on. I love the feeling of eating and swallowing and chewing the food, so it will be hard to wait for those hunger signs. Feeling full is another challenge.........I can eat 250 lb men under the table especially after this last diet of reducing carbs for over 20 weeks my binging has been at its all time worst. Thank you for all the information and posts, it is helpful for us newbies.