Intuitive Eating #18

You're on Page 12 of 35
Go to
  • 32 1/2 is awesome! I definitely want to trim some more off my waist for sure, 32 is the starting point but I'm hoping to be at least 30 inches or less with continued exercise. And I already weighed in, I lost .8 lbs this week and another 1/2 inch off my waist
    My body just now got hungry so I had a payday for breakfast lol it was delicious and filling I always have a crystal light energy when I get up each day, the rest of the day I drink water or green tea but I have to have my one glass of crystal light energy to start my day, some people need coffee, I need crystal light LOL
  • I was at 30" waist until I started gaining again. Well I did really good today I believe, I woke up and wasn't hungry, drank my hazelnut decaf coffee, went about my day running errands and got my lipo b12 injection which was a piece of cake, the nurse said some people have results of energy boosts within 24 hrs so we will see. I didn't get hungry until 2pm so I had a wendys' jr cheeseburger and kid fry(that's what sounded good and I was hungry) but guess what? I ate the cheeseburger but half way thru the fries I got satisfied and threw them away, that's the first time I've ever not finished French fries, it felt great! So I got home mowed the yard which took about 3 hrs, did the weed eating, filled up my bird feeders and around 6:30 I started getting hungry so I had a homemade taco salad! It's now 8pm and i'm satisfied and have no cravings YAHOOO!!! Oh I did weigh myself this morning and was down another 0.4 lbs so i'm heading in the right direction!!!
  • Weighing
    I've been thinking about the weighing issue quite a bit. Since I've been trying IE I have been enjoying the peace of mind associated with NOT thinking about how much I weigh.

I remember very well all the thoughts and feelings that went with weighing - if I had lost weight then I was happy, I had been "good." Or if I had been thinking I hadn't been good (had eaten too much or not counted consistently) and still lost then I felt like I had gotten away with something, but that I'd better get back on track quickly before I got caught.

If I had gained weight, or even just maintained then I would start in with a lot of negative self-talk about how bad I was, how I had no self-control, no will power... And if I thought I had been sticking to my plan well, then obviously I just wasn't capable to doing it right. And the subsequent guilt and depression could last for days, and easily lead to overeating since I figured I was a lost cause anyway.

I'm VERY happy to not be dealing with all those ups and downs. So I decided not to weigh at all, at least for the time being.

However, in about a month I am scheduled to donate blood (which I do regularly) and I know that I'll be asked to enter height and weight before they do the hemoglobin test. I'm thinking that the donation period, which is about every 8 weeks) might be a reasonable interval to check my weight.

I'm curious about those of you who have been doing IE for a long time - how often do you weigh, if you weigh at all?
  • Skelly that is awesome! Your day sounded fantastic! and you know why you threw those fries away? because not worrying or counting the calories allowed you to, if you were counting/tracking youd be like,well I have x amount of calories, these fit into that quota so I'm gonna just finish them off because I have the calories to do so...see? that doesn't help you listen to your body You did fantastic, I hope today is just as easy for ya I know for me it gets easier every single day
  • Bookwoman,that is a good question..I know on page one there is a long post from a IE success story and she says to weigh regularly so you know where you are at, weigh or measure etc. I know for a lot of us we got in trouble by not weighing for long periods of time because that allowed us to "ignore" the problem and pretend we weren't gaining so I'd say if you don't wanna weigh on a scale because of the negative emotions/consequences of that then definitely use your clothes as a guide of course not stretchy pants lol but your skinny jeans or best fitting jeans, if they start to feel tight it might be time to re-evaluate your eating habits and hunger signals again That is what I plan to do when I hit my goal, just use my tape measure and jeans as my guide, until then though I will use the scale because for me it's motivating and doesn't create backlash, but again I haven't gained at all since starting this process, some weeks I maintain and some I lose but its all in the right direction
  • Good afternoon! At least it's afternoon here, I'm in Indiana!!! So today has been a good day, I got up, had my coffee and felt great! I brought a banana with me to work because I came in about an hour early to get a few things caught up. I didn't get hungry until around 9:00 am my belly was growling, what a great feeling to eat when you're hungry. The banana filled me up and I ate lunch around 1:00 because again my belly was growling, LOL!! This is terrific and yes today is a easier. I'll post again later tonight, we are going to our youngest grandsons all star double header baseball game. I'm taking a protein bar with me because i'm not sure when i'll be hungry!!! I hope everyone has a great weekend, I know i'm planning on it.

I'm going to try and weigh once a week I think, just to keep on track until I reach my goal, I agree with spyrng.
  • Skelley, sounds like another great day in the making for you! My day is going well too, I only ate half my tai peanut noodle dish for lunch because it was more than satisfying, I'll be able to have the rest for lunch tomorrow now

We are leaving for vacation in 6 days and I can honestly say this is the first time EVER I know I will not come back several lbs higher from eating like it's a free-for-all on vacation. In the past I'd diet like crazy before vacation so I can look my best then while ON vacation I ate like a pig and came back 8-10 lbs heavier in just two weeks and felt like crap.. not this time. I know this time I will come back the same weight or even lighter than when I left and I'll still enjoy all my favorite vacation foods and drinks and have a fantastic time. I'm so excited this year
  • Quote: Skelley, sounds like another great day in the making for you! My day is going well too, I only ate half my tai peanut noodle dish for lunch because it was more than satisfying, I'll be able to have the rest for lunch tomorrow now

We are leaving for vacation in 6 days and I can honestly say this is the first time EVER I know I will not come back several lbs higher from eating like it's a free-for-all on vacation. In the past I'd diet like crazy before vacation so I can look my best then while ON vacation I ate like a pig and came back 8-10 lbs heavier in just two weeks and felt like crap.. not this time. I know this time I will come back the same weight or even lighter than when I left and I'll still enjoy all my favorite vacation foods and drinks and have a fantastic time. I'm so excited this year
    Thanks for the encouraging words and you'll do great on your vacation!
  • How is everyone doing this weekend? Doing great here! Been so stressed out but not turning to food for comfort, this is a first 5 more days until we leave on vacation! I can't wait!
  • Having a great weekend!! I've lost 1.3lbs yahoo!! I'm following my body's hungry signals and its awesome !!
  • Congrats on the 1.3 down! that is amazing! And it must feel so nice to finally be FREED from counting/tracking etc.. I know I'm loving it.

So I think we are about ready for vacation now, spent the weekend doing our last minute check list, oil change, bought one of those top of the car cargo carriers so we can put all our luggage up there to create more room in the car for us and 4 kids.. since we are driving 24 hours just to get there (12 hours at a time) the more room we have in the car the happier the kids will be lol Also upgraded our phones, I got the galaxy S4 and its gonna be amazing for taking pics on vacation, a 13 mp camera with some really cool modes, I can't wait to see what I can do with it, will save me from needing to take a seperate camera. I should be working this morning but I'm distracted with the new phone LOL but just 3 more days of work and packing then we are hitting the road for 18 days.. man I can't wait
    I'm starting a 30 day squat challenge today as well, starts with 50 squats then by day 30 it will be 250.. I hope I have buns of steel by the end of this lol
  • Back the the weighing topic - that's a very good point spryng. And over the weekend I realized that I have access to a regular check - I have a pair of heavy duty khakis that I wear whenever I go out to inspect my beehives. They're snug at the moment (though they've been much tighter in the past ), and I put them on every one to two weeks, so that will be a good way to monitor. And noticing how tight (or hopefully loose!) those are doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same emotional charge that looking at a scale does. Why is that, I wonder?
  • Quote: Congrats on the 1.3 down! that is amazing! And it must feel so nice to finally be FREED from counting/tracking etc.. I know I'm loving it.

So I think we are about ready for vacation now, spent the weekend doing our last minute check list, oil change, bought one of those top of the car cargo carriers so we can put all our luggage up there to create more room in the car for us and 4 kids.. since we are driving 24 hours just to get there (12 hours at a time) the more room we have in the car the happier the kids will be lol Also upgraded our phones, I got the galaxy S4 and its gonna be amazing for taking pics on vacation, a 13 mp camera with some really cool modes, I can't wait to see what I can do with it, will save me from needing to take a seperate camera. I should be working this morning but I'm distracted with the new phone LOL but just 3 more days of work and packing then we are hitting the road for 18 days.. man I can't wait
    I'm starting a 30 day squat challenge today as well, starts with 50 squats then by day 30 it will be 250.. I hope I have buns of steel by the end of this lol
    How exciting to be going on vacation, you'll have a great time. I have the Iphone 4s and i'm thinking of switching to the galaxy S4 or the Droid DNA, both are pretty awesome i'm being told. I like my iphone but don't like being attached to the apple 100%. The 30 day squat wow, that's awesome i'm not sure my knees could take it. LOL but where did you find this challenge?
  • I found it on facebook, its a group on there called 30 day challenge group, I think every 30 days we will do a different 30 day challenge, this is just the first one
    My DH has the iphone, he just got the 5, he already had the 4 and loved it.. I have an ipad and I do like that its a more stable system but I love droid phones so I don't know if I'll ever switch to an iphone, so far this galaxy s4 is pretty darn cool

bookwoman, I think it's because we have been number driven for too long, for us its a fail/pass test that messes with our minds so if we can guage our progress via clothing or a measuring tape, takes that pressure off
  • I want to do this. I've been trying to get a fit body and build muscle but I got a lot of lard on top of it.

I wonder if this will hurt my muscle gains... now that I think about it I don't get HUNGRY that often. I just get urges to eat or snack for no reason. I think this will be good for me and maybe the way to crack my unhealthy disordered thoughts towards food.