A biological reason?

• Okay...for those of you who deal with TOM...do you find that you are hungrier - and I mean true, tummy-growling hunger - a week or so before? Looking at the past two months, I can chart to the day when I got hungrier compared to TOM...I wonder if there's a biological reason for this?
  • i get the same thing. And i think it is because our body is trying to get extra nutrients to rebuild the amount of blood you lose. I also crave red meat and i think its for the protein and iron in the red meat. I used to get chocolate cravings but i have been able to curb them so far on this journey. Just my 2 cents.
  • Yes! And I agree with Julie - there is probably a good reason for it.
  • I don't feel hungrier, but I do notice that my biggest week to drop weight each month is the week right before TOM. It's that way every month, so you're right, it definitely seems as though something biological is going on.
  • YES!
  • Hungrier, no. *****ier, yes.
  • I looked it up and this is what I found. It is all hormonal...this paragraph makes alot of sense as to WHY we crave these things when AF is here.

Quote:
    Many women have food cravings during PMS, and the cravings usually focus on sweets and snacks such as ice cream, chocolate and potato chips. Eating complex carbohydrates is probably the best way to ward off those food cravings. These foods are a good source of fiber, which helps to clear excess estrogen from your body. High levels of estrogen have been shown to contribute to PMS. Also, research has found that high-carbohydrate foods actually relieve the psychological symptoms of tension, anxiety and mood swings that accompany PMS.
  • I just want to respond to this so that people will see my name and wonder what I am doing here.

sorry about that .
  • You are HILARIOUS. That's exactly what I just did.

Thought you'd say something funny and was eager to see what it was.
  • Matt .. we all know men suffer from hormonal issues, too.
  • Matt - ROTFLMAO!!

Chiblit - Thanks for the info. It makes a lot of sense, as I do crave high-carb foods (especially bread!) during PMS.
  • ditto - and I crave steak big time - must be to make up for the iron
  • T.O.M.
    During T.O.M. I crave EVERYTHING sweet, and salty. I'll be fine everyday, until the day T.O.M. starts, and then I go crazy with all of these darn carvings until T.O.M. leaves. After that I am fine.

Then I feel horrible, because I usually do sneak in something sweet, and salty.

Today was a bad day for those kinds of cravings - and I'm sure I did bad today, but I'll get over it and keep chuggin along.

~ Kari ~
  • tension, anxiety and mood swings.... welcome to my life too.
    And YES! I was JUST going to post last month about seeing if ya'll get MUCH hungrier before TOM. I'm glad I'm not making it up in my head, heeehee. (1.5 days of school left. Muahahah.)
    -Apryl