My arms look worse after weight training!

• So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to what I'm dealing with right now.

About three months ago I started seriously incorporating weight training into my exercise routine. I would do it off and on but finally really committed to it with different programs. Currently, I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for the last two months. I use 12 and 15 lb. dumbells depending on the exercise. 15 lb. dumbells (15 each dumbell) is about as heavy as I can go right now.

At the gym today I caught a glance at the back if my arms and was shocked by what I saw. The back of my arms are starting to look very saggy and have developed these small pockets of fat-like where the skin is gathering together (this is when my arms are at my side). When I lift my arms the skin hangs down very low.

Now, my arms have always been very big. And I'm not just talking a little extra fat-I'm talking serious "bingo wings" (I hate that expression but I'm gonna use it to illustrate my point). I'm also a realist-I don't expect my arms to go from no muscle tone and very fat to tight and tone in the span of three months. But how is it possible that they look worse? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Seeing that today really just took the wind out of my sails. Of course, I won't stop lifting just curious if anyone had any thoughts.
  • I would think that it is not the weight training that did it, but the weight loss. Sounds like extra skin that you would get regardless of whether you lifted (though maybe the weight training facilitated the process by burning up the fat more quickly). I hope some of that goes away for you...and congrats on your big weight loss so far!
  • Thanks Straight-I never really thought about it like that (although it's pretty obvious). I think I was hoping the weight training was going to be somewhat of a miracle cure for saggy skin. But alas-I should have known better. I really like it though (even better than cardio) so definitely gonna stick with it.
  • It's definitely the weight loss. Keep up with the weight training to tone! I'm obsessed with my arms but I use 5lb free weights with high reps.
  • Yes, I agree--unfortunately it's probably loose skin showing up. Keep going with the heaviest weights you can do--that's how you get results! Are you at least feeling a difference in your strength/stamina?
  • Keep up the heavy lifting ... Your arms will get better with time although not perfect, to your eyes...
  • It is the weight loss. Unfortunately we cannot expand our skin too much without lifelong reprocussions. I have never had this problem with my arms (I have always been a featherweight) but after 2 giant babies, my stomach is quite wrinkled.

I look at it this way- I will be the hottest wrinkly girl out there at least And even if you deal with loose skin, you will be the hottest post-bingo wing girl out there right!???
  • Haha thanks Sacha! I know it will get better and the alternative of being overweight and unhealthy is just not an option.
  • Keep at it! And make sure moisturize that skin!
  • Quote: I would think that it is not the weight training that did it, but the weight loss.
    I agree with this.
  • When I reached goal I was disappointed with my bat wings. They've improved vastly and now I regularly get compliments on my arms and its all due to weightlifting. So keep lifting, that will help you in the long run, just be patient.
  • I've been weight training for years. I can't see any of my muscles yet, due to the layers of fat I still have, but I can certainly feel them. (I lift 20 lbs for my curls now...so very proud of that!)

And my batwings are so prominent now! It sags lower and lower as I progress with weight loss and muscle growth. Very frustrating, but I am struggling to redefine this as a positive thing in my mind. They are so jiggly now! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some surgery of some sort some day.

I've been considering getting the shrink wrap procedure, maybe even this summer. I can't wear tops in the correct sizes because my arms are two sizes bigger than my torso. I'd just like to be able to wear short sleeve tops with confidence, and show off my guns!

In the meantime, I spend time doing body brushing, hoping to get my skin to shrink along with my weight loss. I don't think it's keeping up, but for my age, I have nice skin. People often think I'm at least 10 years younger than my real age.
  • Mine have done that too- it's like I can see all this muscle under this saggy fat. I can feel it too. I'm hoping it goes away as I lose more weight and drink lots of water