Stu's diet and weight loss thread

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I am in a reflective mood at the moment , i can and i will turn this around .
    You rock!

Looking at what you eat...I'd be really hungry on that myself! That's because I personally need lots of protein, fiber, and fat to feel full. Too many carbs make me so hungry. And sugar...oh, that can make me ravenous.

Would you be interested in trying out a higher protein diet for a few days? I find it especially helps me if I stay low/no carb during my first meal of the day. .You may want to give that a try. Also, eating some protein **every time** you eat carbs the rest of the day can help so much.

I don't do Atkins or any formal plan, but since I've started eating like this it's been way easier for me to eat a healthy, lower calorie diet without it feeling like torture.
  • Thanks for the advice

Stepped on the scales this morning and i was 15 stone 10 and a half pounds.

I am not sure what plan i am going with at the moment but i am changing my weigh ins two once every two weeks on a Friday morning , i think the weekly weigh in was a mistake cause i would lose focus as soon as i saw a loss and return to my old habits.

Ive started today with a bannana and one slice of brown toast, mid morning snack was one activia yogurt, i am not feeling any hunger pains at the moment.

lunch is a steak pie with potatoes and brussel sprouts , i know not the best but i was given that from my mum this morning because i never went to eat it last nite. I could maybe take off the puff pastry to lower the calories and fat a bit ?
  • So far so good , been very tempted to go on the scales but so far have avoided them , im feeling a little lighter and i seem to be in the zone at the moment , i ditched some baggy clothing for tight fitting stuff and im aiming to get it looser fitting as i dont feel comfortable wearing it at the moment !

T-minus 10 days till next weigh in .............
  • Latest weight update , 14 stone 8 pounds !!!!!!!!
  • Well im up again 15 stone 4 and a half pounds !!!!!
  • Hi there,

So, I have not been on here for a while. I think you shoul take a deep breath and all will be well. Do you still have the night time craving? I used to as well, I actually found out from my doctor that the benedryl I took at night increases hunger in a small group of people. I would have a steak dinner, with potato, spinich, desert and an hour after taking my night time benedryl I would be starving, I mean, stomach rumbling and no control and have to eat. I did this for 4 years and put on 50lbs. Till we figured it out.

So you might want to see if you are on any medication that might be causing your hunger pangs, if you have eaten already.

I would also suggest reducing your carb intake and increase your protein intake. I also think you are not eating enough so your body may be holding on to the extra weight. I actually follow 2 diets concurrently. I follow Dukan (pure protein on alternate days) and Paleo on other days (Grass fed meat, seafood, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seed and cook with coconut oil, ghee, olive oil). I just watch portions and avoid anything with wheat.... just a thought and I am sure you will lose the weight. one day at a time. Good luck my friend.
  • I hear a lot of what you're NOT going to eat, but not much of what you ARE going to eat. I find that it helps me immensely to schedule my day's menu before it happens, even sometimes cooking it or packing it (usually on work days) before I go.

Many of us are hungry on a high carbohydrate plan (like what you're eating) and I find that eggs and/or lean meats will fill me up so much more than a banana and cereal, and something with protein will also fill me up more than yogurt. You can try pairing a fruit or veggie with a protein/fat like apples with peanut butter, radishes with neufchatel, tomatoes with mozzarella, dried fruit and nut mix, or peppers with hummus.

So many stews, soups, chilis, and even certain savory pies can be made in a healthy way. Open faced sandwiches, salads, and stir fry are quick and healthy.

You can do this!
  • Quote: It is true it has gotten a lot of bad press..but it is quite the contrary. If you do a search on You Tube for Low Carb/High Fat diets..you will find loads of experts who talk about the results their patients have had ..not just with weight..but diabetes, BP, heart disease, dementia..etc. Just a thought.
    I found Atkins extreme, at least the induction period where you're supposed to limit even your vegetables. Atkins was onto something but went too far, in my opinion. I don't think any induction period is necessary. For some people, replacing white bread with whole grain may be enough to induce weight loss.
  • Stu,

I can totally relate. I am a guy and the weight just kept going up and up and up. Congrats starting at 34. I am 48. I had a bit of a success in 2001 down to around 230 but then it started to go up over the next 12 years to around 295 at my highest. All time high near 340.

I had the hunger issues. Hungry a lot of the day and snack snack snacking. I've broken that for the first time. For my physiology it was high carbs. I have NO DOUBT for me that was the key. I would eat carbs and they start the whole hunger to wanting more carbs.

It was not the best the first month or so and I still had carbs. But I gradually reduced them and then benefit is, possibly for you as well, you almost get to the point where you don't feel hungry anymore.

I almost don't snack now. I don't have cravings for pizza ice cream bread and potatoes. And I eat A LOT of potatoes, french fries, potato chips, mashed potatoes. I now take turkey no bread to work. When we cook burgers at home I have no bun and organic ketchup that has sugar but no HFCS.

I think hunger at least as we experience in the modern affluent world is almost directly related to high carb diets. Try to cut down on carbs and you should find your hunger coming into control. You get a postive feedback loop instead of the negative one so many people are on.
  • keep moving forward!
  • Quote: I had the hunger issues. Hungry a lot of the day and snack snack snacking. I've broken that for the first time. For my physiology it was high carbs. I have NO DOUBT for me that was the key. I would eat carbs and they start the whole hunger to wanting more carbs.
    Has anyone else read The Hungry Years by William Leith? It's a great memoir of this phenomenon. Leith talks about putting bread in the toaster, then buttering and eating untoasted bread while waiting for the toast. I could relate. I used to do things like that back when I ate white bread.