Climbing back on the wagon

• I was doing so great for a while, lost 10 pounds and then I fell off the wagon. Why do I keep doing this to myself? Last summer I was overweight and couldn't stick with it. Here I am on the cusp of summer and still in the same situation. I need suggestions to stay motivated I guess. Or something. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.
  • I don't know if I have the answer that you are looking for, but I am in the same boat. I don't understand at all why I keep working so hard to lose and then let it all go over a few weeks or months.

For me, I tried to create motivation by coming bak on here and writing again, even though I wouldn't be writing about successes for a while. I also went to the grocery store and indulged myself in FUN healthy foods, because I think I was getting bored with the same foods. Now I have about five successful days under my belt, and I am feeling like it isn't the end of the world to stop eating pancakes and hash browns, etc.

I have no idea why my motivation waxes and wanes, but I think I have to accept that this is the case. I don't think it's going to change. I have to learn how to keep eating healthy even when I am not motivated.

I also upped my daily calories for the diet so I would feel less deprived.

Good luck.
  • Quote: I was doing so great for a while, lost 10 pounds and then I fell off the wagon. Why do I keep doing this to myself? Last summer I was overweight and couldn't stick with it. Here I am on the cusp of summer and still in the same situation. I need suggestions to stay motivated I guess. Or something. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.
    I understand just how you feel. I've lost the same 20-25 lbs over and over again, the last time being in 2010. Slowly but surely, it came back. Over the last year I've done exactly what you're describing, except I'd lose maybe 3-5 lbs max.

Finally I decided I was just sick to death of dieting, period. Instead, I made one major change - I stopped drinking my nightly wine and the snacks that went along with it. That alone resulted in about a 6-8 lb weight loss, maybe more since I'm no longer weighing, but my clothes are even looser.

I walk most every day, but not a lot...about 2 miles. I'm recovering from a broken foot so I can't walk a great deal. I'm listening more to my body and eating only when I'm hungry.

Perhaps you can decide to give up one thing - just ONE thing - in your daily diet that you know you can do without. Make a pledge to give it up for 30 days. Accomplishing that one thing can jump-start you. If you take an all-or-nothing approach, chances are you're going to continue to fall off the wagon, as you stated.

Or maybe you could add just a little exercise; again, not much. You don't want to overdo. Baby steps all the way.

Good luck!
  • Quote: I understand just how you feel. I've lost the same 20-25 lbs over and over again, the last time being in 2010. Slowly but surely, it came back. Over the last year I've done exactly what you're describing, except I'd lose maybe 3-5 lbs max.

Finally I decided I was just sick to death of dieting, period. Instead, I made one major change - I stopped drinking my nightly wine and the snacks that went along with it. That alone resulted in about a 6-8 lb weight loss, maybe more since I'm no longer weighing, but my clothes are even looser.

I walk most every day, but not a lot...about 2 miles. I'm recovering from a broken foot so I can't walk a great deal. I'm listening more to my body and eating only when I'm hungry.

Perhaps you can decide to give up one thing - just ONE thing - in your daily diet that you know you can do without. Make a pledge to give it up for 30 days. Accomplishing that one thing can jump-start you. If you take an all-or-nothing approach, chances are you're going to continue to fall off the wagon, as you stated.

Or maybe you could add just a little exercise; again, not much. You don't want to overdo. Baby steps all the way.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the advice! I really do need to exercise more. Thankfully it's spring and the weather will be warmer soon so I can get out more and exercise. I do try to eat healthy, but portion control is a big issue with me. Never used to be until I got married and started matching my husband bite for bite. I think coming here every day will help, too.
  • Quote: I don't know if I have the answer that you are looking for, but I am in the same boat. I don't understand at all why I keep working so hard to lose and then let it all go over a few weeks or months.

For me, I tried to create motivation by coming bak on here and writing again, even though I wouldn't be writing about successes for a while. I also went to the grocery store and indulged myself in FUN healthy foods, because I think I was getting bored with the same foods. Now I have about five successful days under my belt, and I am feeling like it isn't the end of the world to stop eating pancakes and hash browns, etc.

I have no idea why my motivation waxes and wanes, but I think I have to accept that this is the case. I don't think it's going to change. I have to learn how to keep eating healthy even when I am not motivated.

I also upped my daily calories for the diet so I would feel less deprived.

Good luck.
    I get bored, too. I think I'll go this weekend and try to find some fun healthy foods, too. I do well with dinner, but not breakfast and lunch... Any recommendations?