Last portion of weight loss..

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • re:
    Oh yeah...sloooooooooooooooow. I'm talking under 5 lbs a month now slow. Obviously that's better than nothing or gaining.

Just frustrating.
  • Quote: SilverSky...I feel your pain. It's true, when we cut weight and without eating enough protein, you lose muscle, not just fat. You should try weight lifting with this next cut. You won't build much muscle on a calorie deficit, but you will see some visible changes in your body composition. It is suggested you eat at least 1g of lean protein for your body weight. I am so disappointed that I didn't start lifting 2 years ago.
    Well, my main problem is that I can't lift very heavy because of my back (I have scoliosis + hardware). In fact, the doctor told me to NEVER do any serious heavy lifting. I have to stick with lighter weights and more reps, for my safety.

Oh, and it's 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, that's about 90 grams, which is pretty impossible. I try to shoot for about 50 grams per day.
  • Quote:
    Well, my main problem is that I can't lift very heavy because of my back (I have scoliosis + hardware). In fact, the doctor told me to NEVER do any serious heavy lifting. I have to stick with lighter weights and more reps, for my safety.
    Oh, and it's 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, that's about 90 grams, which is pretty impossible. I try to shoot for about 50 grams per day.
    Sorry to hear about your health issues. That is not easy. Resistance bands may work well for you as well.
    I'm 5'3 and I weigh 112 lbs. I eat 130g-150g of protein a day. I don't find it hard but I eat Greek yogurt, fish, nuts and chicken or lean beef everyday. I find it harder to keep my carbs where I want them.

Quote:
    Honestly, my body looked no different; just a smaller version of my fat self. I was still very jiggly due to lack of any real muscle stimulation. For that, and other reasons, I became depressed and ate my way up to 144, which isn't a total failure, since I used to weigh 230. This time, I'm going to focus on FAT LOSS, not weight loss. I need major repositioning. Ultimately, I want to be 20% body fat. I'm currently 33%
    It has been very well explained to me that when you lose fat, and you don't have the muscle to support it underneath...the result is "skinny fat". So when dieting, it is important to try to retain as much muscle as possible because you will lose both fat and muscle when dieting. When in a calorie deficit, it is hard to gain muscle. Muscle is gained by eating and training...slowly at maintenance calories, even better in a surplus.

I can tell you at 5"3, 112lbs and 18% b/f I'm still not happy with my "look". I look great in clothes...but I still hate how I look in a bikini. Solution...Keep on pushing
  • I'm sure you look just fine at 18% BF. I personally care more about function than form. The jiggly bits are uncomfortable for me when jumping, boxing my heavy bag, etc. I just want to be comfortable and reasonably strong. Vanity is the least of my concerns, especially since no amount of weight loss would make my disability disappear. I've learned to appreciate myself for what's on the inside.