Vegetables & Green Smoothies

• Tomorrow I start the Ideal Protein diet and I'm planning my food for day 1.

I'm used to having a green smoothie each morning for breakfast (kale, parsley, cilantro, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, lemon and water). I realize I cannot add the berries to my smoothie on this program ... so will just be allowable veggies. I'm wondering if I can have some of my mandatory vegetables for breakfast as a green smoothie or do the vegetables have to be eaten at lunch and dinner.
  • My coach told me to eat the veggies only at lunch and dinner, but I know some split up the 4 C throughout the day and do just fine. I have done a little bit of tweaking with mine, having 1 C at lunch, 1 C with snack and 2 C at dinner and it hasn't seemed to slow me down, but I have never started them at breakfast. Ask your coach.
  • I have two cups of spinach everyday in the pudding with extra water for breakfast. My coach is fine with that and shares it with others who struggle to get in their veggies.
  • Welcome . I was told as long as we get the 4 cups a day in, that it was ok to split them up with what works for you.
  • I started having spinach in my chocolate pudding shakes from the get-go. I've had to scale back on it as my taste for veggies has grown and if I have too much in the am, I miss it later in the day.
    Today I had 1 c spinach in my smoothie, 2 c. stir fried veggies at lunch, and chili for dinner, which rounded out the veggies for the day (my IP chili has no beans, of course!)
    My coach has never had a problem with me adding some to breakfast. I have veggie omelets sometimes too (for breakfast or lunch)
  • Thanks. I decided to stick with eating the veggies for now. I have no idea how hungry I'm going to feel.
  • Quote: I started having spinach in my chocolate pudding shakes from the get-go. I've had to scale back on it as my taste for veggies has grown and if I have too much in the am, I miss it later in the day.
    Today I had 1 c spinach in my smoothie, 2 c. stir fried veggies at lunch, and chili for dinner, which rounded out the veggies for the day (my IP chili has no beans, of course!)
    My coach has never had a problem with me adding some to breakfast. I have veggie omelets sometimes too (for breakfast or lunch)
    Lisa, can you share your Chili recipe? I've heard you talk about it before and wondered what all went in it. Thanks. I'm trying to branch out from baked and broiled.
  • Quote: Lisa, can you share your Chili recipe? I've heard you talk about it before and wondered what all went in it. Thanks. I'm trying to branch out from baked and broiled.
    Look here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4686240-post48.html
  • Quote: Tomorrow I start the Ideal Protein diet and I'm planning my food for day 1.

I'm used to having a green smoothie each morning for breakfast (kale, parsley, cilantro, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, lemon and water). I realize I cannot add the berries to my smoothie on this program ... so will just be allowable veggies. I'm wondering if I can have some of my mandatory vegetables for breakfast as a green smoothie or do the vegetables have to be eaten at lunch and dinner.
    I love smoothies and I am having trouble eating the veggies. Can you share your smoothie recipe? Mine always involved fruit to improve the taste and I always used either almond milk or skim milk.

I need some help to get the veggies down or this isn't going to work.
  • Check the fun with veggie purees thread. You can find a link in the first post of the daily thread. Lots of ideas for pureed veggies!
  • Quote: Check the fun with veggie purees thread. You can find a link in the first post of the daily thread. Lots of ideas for pureed veggies!
    Thanks Lisa, still trying to navigate all this info!
  • Hi all,

I have found that having a green smoothie in the morning is helpful. I add 2 cups of Spinach and a mango ready made that I blend in my Nutribullet.

I'm going to start adding a cup of cucumbers to my green smoothies in the morning just to make sure I get them in!