Metallic taste! help!

• Hi all,

This is my third week into IP and since morning I have this metallic taste in my mouth and it just doesnt want to go away. I know this is related to Ketosis but I am wondering am I in Ketosis now after 2 weeks?! I am making sure my carb count is below 40 and protein about 80-85.

Should I just get used to the taste or is there a remedy?

thanks!!
  • Sounds like ketosis to me. Yes you can get a metallic taste it is a common symptom. I don't know how you can get rid of it Try gum without aspartame and extra bruhing maybe. If you are following the plan you could have been in ketosis within days after starting, after two weeks I would say you have been there awhile.
  • Quote: Hi all,

This is my third week into IP and since morning I have this metallic taste in my mouth and it just doesnt want to go away. I know this is related to Ketosis but I am wondering am I in Ketosis now after 2 weeks?! I am making sure my carb count is below 40 and protein about 80-85.

Should I just get used to the taste or is there a remedy?

thanks!!
    It seems you are in ketosis.
    In another note, I've never been told to count carbs or protein... Are you on Alternatives?
  • Thanks for the replies

No I am not on the alternatives. I just have a habit of logging in food and thought it'd be help if I state the carbs count.

I was just curious as to why this is happening now when I started this diet 3 weeks ago.
  • It's just a symptom, mine came and left a few times. Friends told me my breathe didn't stink but it tasted like metal...helped me get my water in thou! Couldn't ever find something to make it go away, sorry!
  • I had the metallic taste in week 2 and then it disappeared. I didn't do anything special for it to go away. I do use Listerine breath strips (the only "mint" approved by my Dr) to help reduce any bad breath. I can't always tell if I have it, so I just assume I do (from ketosis) to be on the safe side.
  • I had this too, and it felt to me like my saliva burned. It was strong for about 3 days, then it gradually started going away...took maybe a week to get back to normal. I found tap water made it worse, so I used bottled more. Aside from that, I didn't find anything that made it better, but just know, it'll pass.
  • Quote: I had this too, and it felt to me like my saliva burned. It was strong for about 3 days, then it gradually started going away...took maybe a week to get back to normal. I found tap water made it worse, so I used bottled more. Aside from that, I didn't find anything that made it better, but just know, it'll pass.
    I too switched to bottled water at the point I started to taste metal. Do you live near a Whole Foods? They have 50oz electrolyte waters (365 brand) for like $1.50 each, which is cheaper than most. It was the only water I could drink without a sense of yuck during the metallic phase. This is what led to me overusing Mio/Dasani drops. Like the previous poster said, nothing I could do got rid of it. Try to look at it as a positive and know that it will pass
  • I'm in week 2 and have had the metal taste for a few days. Like someone else said , it just makes me drink more water which is a good thing!
  • I had the taste for a few weeks when I started, it's awful, but for me, it has now gone away. Either that or I'm just used to it now and don't even notice. Hang in there, it will get better
  • There are some sugar free gums that are sweetened with Xylitol. I have used those in a pinch, but also keep a toothbrush and toothpaste at my desk.
  • I have found that chlorophyll does the trick.
  • Thank goodness for this board! I thought I was going crazy today when first my water, then my RTD shake, and then my cucumbers all tasted increasingly of metal. Yuck! Not a fan of this side effect at all!

So when do I get the good ones... like great energy, the urge to organize/clean (which another thread mentioned) and feeling great? lol. I am definitely ready for those!