Keeping motivated

• I thought my weight loss each week, even just a little bit would keep me motivated to continue the good eating habits however I didn't have any weight loss for my second week. I had 3 birthday celebrations and thought I did really well on my choices, but the scale didn't budge. I went ahead and did my measurements this morning hoping that I will start seeing a change there too.

It is so hard to be heavy and not recognize yourself any more. I worked out this morning on my elliptical today for the first time in 6 months so hopefully that will hope to, but I'm bummed not seeing the scale budge at all after 2 1/2 weeks of no chips, minimal fried foods, no potatoes, rice, pasta and such a big increase in water, fresh vegetables and all home cooked meals. At least I lost almost 3 lbs. the first week so I broke the 190s.

What do you do to keep your spirits and motivation up on non-loss weeks?
    Barbara
  • Hi <3 On non-loss weeks, which I've had like...a month and a half of, I'm obviously upset but I remind myself the only thing that quitting will do is make sure that next week is a non-loss week, too! And the week after that, and the week after that...

I usually think about where I am and where I'll be a month from now and two months ago. I remind myself that a year from now, I'll wish I would've started today

We're capable of amazing things if we can just get out of our own heads!
  • As someone else said before, it's not about motivation, it's about commitment.

You just need to remember that you are doing this not just to see a smaller number on the scale, but to improve your overall health! It could be that you are just retaining water too, give it some time, the numbers will start moving again! Keep it up
  • I am going through the same thing and it tough to keep doing the right things when you are not having the results you are working for, but I just keep saying "If I quit now then i will gain and i will be back to square one" so rather a maintance then an increase!
  • Thanks everyone. I am normally a very positive thinker, but I was kind of stumped. I think you all have really good points. At least I did start which was a huge step for me, I did break the 190 mark and I did start to get healthy not just lose weight so I will keep trudging along. Thank you for your replies.
  • Also remember that it didn't come on in a linear way and it won't go off that way either. Other factors, like stress, amount of sleep, salt, fluid intake, etc. can all affect your loss. What you do know is if you give up, you have little chance of the scale going down. If yous stay on-plan, your odds go up!
  • Think about where you will be in 1 month,you will be glad you did not just quit. I've been there recently in Jan I began and I stopped for about a month and a half I gained the few pounds I had lost now. I see how people who began in Jan have already lost 20 lbs. I say wow I could have done that too if I wouldn't have quit.
  • I think of it this way - I'm practicing maintenance!

Seriously, the way I see it is that this change of my lifestyle is bottom line changing my health - the weight loss has been a nice (and hard-won) side effect, but it was my way of eating and not exercising that was doing harm.

If I am eating healthy and doing my workouts, I consider myself having succeeded even if no weight comes off.
  • So, I'm very excited to say the scale final moved down a pound, thank goodness. I also lost 5 inches and feeling motivated. I just needed to see a little change. I feel better, but having my pants a little looser makes a huge change in my attitude towards a healthier way of life. Thank you for all your encouragement.
  • Aren't you glad you kept going? We all want to see that change on the scale. It IS so frustrating not to see our hard work paying off in smaller numbers. But, as the others have said, you are making positive changes that will benefit you in the long-term. You may not be able to see it, but it's happening. Remember this experience and how you felt when you kept at it and you dropped a pound. You will likely stall again at some point--we all do. The knowledge that you can get through it will help you. Best of luck on your journey!
  • Yes, staying on track was worth it. I am just relieved the scale moved this week since my cycle is due next week and I know the weight gain will be from bloating. I just wanted a little hooray before then. I am glad that I measured myself so I had that loss for encouragement too.