any advice?

• Hi everybody,

So my weight had stayed the same for the last 2 or 3 years.

I did make some life style changes, no alcohol to start. When I cut out alcohol I
    was over doing the sugar, big time, and no for the most part I wasn't tracking.
    So what followed was I gained about 7 pounds. So then I decided to try a modified
    slimfast diet. My plan of my own creation, is two Spirutein protein shakes, two snacks,
    and dinner. I've been tracking and it comes out to be 1500, which is hard for me to do.

So here is my question, do you think I need to go to 1200? I should say I cut out sugar, or at least really limit it, and my snacks are something like a yogurt or mozz stick.
    Also I really, really want to lose, as I've had knee and back problems as well as high cholesterol and blood pressure. I do exercise at least four times a week, we have a Cybex and a treadmill. I also take several medications to control, anxiety, depression, cholesterol and high blood pressure, phew, and am not sure if they are the culprit.
    But I do know, previously I wasn't tracking and insane with sugar.

So after all this, I'm down one pound

Thanks for any input.
  • I just suggest that you fluctuate your cal intake and see what works best for you. Whenever I exercise a lot I try to eat a little more and the weight comes off. I had thought cutting my calories back would do the trick but i didnt lose a thing. Everyone's body is different.
  • I'd suggest cutting out most of the carbs including sugar for 30 days and evaluate from there.

Low carb makes dieting much easier for most people.
  • If 1500 is hard for you to do then 1200 is going to be that much harder.

Since you asked for input, here's mine:

I would stop doing the modified slimfast/shake thing and would instead replace them with low calorie meals. Eat lots of fruits and veggies for volume to keep you full and satisfied. Don't drink your calories. Track your calories (and or carbs) as precisely as possible and adjust from there after a few weeks.
  • Thanks for the input!

John P. I have tried low carb before, and I definitely weighed less.

MZ-It often amazes me, of how when you eat nothing your weight can stay the same. In the past I could drink a lot of water, have a few snacks, and drop five pounds, not any more!

Missy-I have tried with food for a long time, and just could not do it. Dh lost 18 pounds, on health food diet, including nuts, salad, beans, fruit like pineapple, grapefruit, apple, no butter, and he weights 160, arrghhhh, I don't like fruit.

So this week, when we shopped at the health food store,. I did not buy any sugary snacks.