Got Milk?

• Hi there,
    I was curious if drinking milk is part of your diet?
    Or does it negatively effect your blood sugar?

(sorry if this has been asked before--the search function is not working for me)

I recently started to drink more milk because it does seem to make me feel more full. But is this wrong...I'm IR/PCOS.

Thanks
  • I think we all respond differently to certain foods. Milk has an interesting combo of proteins, sugars and if its not skim milk, fats. Skim is probably hardest on blood sugar, as there is no fat to slow down the absorption of the sugars.
    As we always say, keep testing. If you eat a food, test afterward, and see what your response is. Many people do well with whole grains, but I can't eat wheat especially, even whole and sprouted grains. Many people find increasing dairy helps them lose weight, so check and see what your response is. Since you seem to enjoy it, I hope its a good food for you.
  • Thank you for responding Fatmad.
    Interesting about the fat slowing down the sugar...
    (We usually pick up 2% here.)
    I don't have a monitor, I guess I should look into that.
  • I drink some milk, but not as much as I did before I was dx with pre-Diabetes. The milk sugar in it must definitely affect me, because a big glass with dinner will definitely push my blood glucose numbers up.

So now I'm more likely to have a small glass, or to limit my dairy to cream/sour cream, and cheeses, which tend to have less milk sugar (lactose).