40-Something May Day Challenge

You're on Page 11 of 25
Go to
  • NATAMARS: Happy birthday to you and your son!!! I hear you about a plateau..it is so frustrating....hopefully you will find what you need in order to shake things up a bit and get that scale moving. Maybe change your exercise? I know that is what I need to do....my body is so used to the movement in Zumba..cross training is so important.....hang in there kid, we can do this. You asked about the job front...no luck so far. I"m being picky but I may have to lower my standards. job market around here is awful.....so much easier if you live near the city......

FIREGIRL: glad to hear that your grandson is fine.

NEWLEAF: mazel on the new BMI range...woot woot...

JENNIFER: I am going to start walking also...hope to eventually turn it into running but walking can be just as effective so I've read.

SUM: Thanks for the recipe..and mazel on the loss!!! IE seems to be the secret we had yet to uncover about weight loss. Think about it...kids know when to stop eating...they eat when they're hungry..you ever try and give a baby a bottle when they don't want to eat? not happening!!! same with a toddler.....the body knows when to stop eating and when it is hungry, we just anesthetize ourselves to that......

ENID: it is so hard to exercise at the end of the day, do you think maybe you can work out in the morning before work? Sometimes it is best to get your workout over with in the morning ....
  • natamars
  • Hi everybody......no further weight loss on Isa gen ix......Yesterday I did one shake instead of two (just didn't have time for a second one) and went to dinner with friends..had one glass of wine and grilled vegetables and a big salad.....I had a slight gain today....grrrrrrrr.........not sure what that is about but I'm more determined than ever to make this work. It is not a nice day out so I don't think I'll get a walk in....may work out with my kettlebells today. Boys are going to a wake with their dad this afternoon and I'll be alone for a while today.....will be good to get an extra workout under my belt. Getting ready for aqua class in a few.

I'm going to confide in everyone here today and tell you that I've been sinking into a depression....and im having anxiety at the same time. divorce is taking its toll out on me...its a miracle that I even care enough about myself to want to try and lose weight......but I do. coming here is a big help, so thank you ladies for all your inspiration and motivation.
  • Oh Zumba -- Your divorce had dragged on as long as I have known you. No wonder that you are exhausted and depressed! -- Have you considered seeing a therapist? Maybe even get some meds to help over this horrid time? -- I have been on anti depressants for years; I inherited depression (it is a long story...) anycase, the meds really help me. -- Sometimes taking them even a short period during atough time, will give one the needed boost to carry on with life.

More !!!!
  • Scale is cooperating to ditch the hospital weight : weighed in at 152.2. BUT - the swelling has finally gone down and my measurements are back to normal! Woot Woot! That means that I am back to 21.6% BF and gained 1lb of muscle during this hiatus. Maybe I needed the week off for my muscles to fully recover from the last 3 months of weight lifting!?? And all the IV fluids couldn't have hurt!
    Best thing - ordered a pair of 8 jeans. They arrived yesterday...too big! It's the same ones I usually wear in a 10. No idea - maybe this pair was cut wrong? Doesn't matter - I'll be wearing those loose 8s today!

Nat: Belated And early your son! Keep on fighting that lb. See my avatar for what that little # of flabber looks like...it's not so big that you can't conquer it!

Zumba Divorce sucks. It's like you don't know someone until you divorce them. My ex drug it out - I gave him both cars, money, furniture, everything... All I wanted was my girls (both under 3) and my maiden name back. In Texas you have to have it legally awarded back to you. And lucky me - his sister and her husband were both attorneys. Yippee. But - I learned a very valuable lesson (at 21) - what I didn't want in a man! You'll get through this - you are stronger than you realize!

Sum Way to go! I would be starving on 1400 calories...glad it works for you! Nat has like 1100-1200 and I would be passed out whimpering on the floor in front of the fridge - too weak to open it and save myself!

Firegirl Glad the GS is doing well. Our Farmer's Markets don't open until sometime in May. I can't wait! I walk to it every Friday - never sold anything. But I do (did) love to bake fresh bread. Probably not in my future, though. I have no discipline with fresh baked goods. Zero.

Enid I was always a morning exerciser - just wanted to get it over with! But this time around I wait until my hubs gets home from work and we lift weights together M-W-F. I hated it at first - now it's just what I do. It's a lot more fun when there is someone to exercise with - any chance you could get a workout buddy?
  • Hi, ladies. Personals later. Up a pound after yesterday's sabotage. Back on track today. Just finished making Spicy Asian Quinoa salad; it's in the fridge chilling. Going to go change into my yoga clothes (forcing myself to go, kicking and screaming, feeling intimidated) and then have a small bowl. Then off to yoga. Ugh. (Remember, yoga was my anticipated change post-Patagonia to keep my going)
  • Sigh....I just got finished typing a whole big thing and hit some dumb thing and POOF!!

No time to re-do it so I will just say this: I am here. I read. Not much time during the week to respond. I WILL get better at this.

Lost the 2 pound anniversary/birthday dinner/Easteoor weight and am now sitting at 146.8

Started my outside biking/running and am very sore but feeling so much better for actually DOING something about the shape I am in instead of just bi*&^%$ about it.

So glad to see those of you who are having great success these last few days/weeks. It gives me great hope that YES this is totally doable....

2fatc- glad to hear that the post-op swelling is finally going down for you and you are feeling much better! But don't rush it!! lol

Nat-happy belated birthday!!!

Zumba- Divorce sux!! The stress that comes from just that in our daily lives absolutely plays a part in the inability of our bodies to just let go of that fat already!! I feel for you. Honestly. Been there, done that.

To everyone else...(sorry...have to go)...keep on keeping on. We WILL do this!!!
  • Today is my 10th day OP Time flies when having "fun". I have walked 9/10 days , weight trained 4/10 days, eaten OP/mindful/IE every single day every single meal. No izzys, pop or wine

Today's plan
    Bfast
    coffee w/ cream
    Lunch
    Salad w/chicken
    Dinner
    Salmon
    Rice
    Carrots
    Brussels Sprouts
    Snacks
    Oikos yogurt
    Edy's frozen fruit bar

Total cal 1440

Exercise
    Walk 5 mi

SW 165.6
    CW 161.4

ETA: I track my exercise with calorie tracker (on my phone). It says I have burned 3500 calories in 7 days
  • Happy Saturday! I actually slept in until 8:30--it felt great! I'm eating ok, not great, but not horribly. I seem to be stuck in the 179 range. I know I have to really watch what goes in my mouth, but I was hoping all the walking DH and I are doing would help! DD's graduation party is in 6 weeks, and I really want to be in the 160s!! I want to buy a cute new dress. Because of the party we are working super hard on getting our house and yard ready! I'm hoping the hours I spend cleaning, weeding, mulching, etc. will help with the lbs. At least my yard will look fabulous this year!

Natamars: Belated Happy Birthday! I love Ethiopian too. Enjoy! And happy bday to DS. Double digits!

Sum: You are doing great! I am intrigued by IE. it is working se well for you. Yay!

Firegirl: Your bread sounds amazing. I can't wait until our farmers' markets open locally.

Zumba: Hang in there. Divorce is terrible, but it will get better. Don't hesitate to come here and vent, or talk to someone if you need to. Depression is an illness like any other.

2FatCats: wow! Loose size 8s! I guess you'll just have to get 6s!

Heidi: Your salad sounds great! How was yoga? I just like lounging in the pants!

Sorry to anyone I missed (I can't scroll too far back on the iPad). Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Jennifer This way of eating feels really good! I only eat if I am hungry. I am learning to listen what my body is saying; is it a want or a need? I cut all junk out -- incl alcohol which was prolly adding a ton of unwanted calories, because it always made me snack. Last night after dinner - grilled chicken, brown rice and broccoli -- I did not feel satisfied and so I went on and had 1 oz of cashews and 1 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips. I could have eaten more but I listened my body and it said it was happy So I stopped.

I still count my calories and plan my meals ahead of time. I know "real" IE followers don't do that, but I simply like it and I enjoy seeing what makes me satisfied.
  • Where are you girlies?? I hope everyone is having a fab and fit weekend!!

I was hungry yesterday. I think all that walking and lifting is catching up with me. I had 1,754 calories. 80 calories over my allotted calorie goal, but still way under what I consumed (around 2300 cal). So it was a good day. I was craving for wine.... It was a Saturday after all, but I stayed strong and did not give in. I am cooking dinner every night, planning meals 3-4 days ahead of time; that way I am making sure that I have all the needed food handy. -- I wanted to go out last night (to have a few drinks and some dinner), but like I said I stayed strong; cooked a nice salmon meal with ton of veggies. I prolly saved myself from 1000-1500 extra calories. I am proud of myself

Hubby went for a walk with me. Since he travels for work, and I get to see him only on the weekends, it was a nice treat! He is really proud of me and how committed I am right now. He looks fabulous. He works out nearly every day and his body looks like it belongs to a 30 year old, not to a 45 year old man

It was a perfect week for me. Stats including today;
    Walked 30.7 miles 462 minutes
    Weights 4 x 45 min; 180 min
    Total 642 min exercised = aprx 10 hrs

Calories in 8060
    Calories out 15750
    Diff. (7960)

So this one meal at a time is truly working for me!
  • Sum: Great job on all the exercise! DH and I didn't walk yesterday, but we worked like crazy in the back yard--I'm actually sore this am! Godf job too on resisting temptation. We had friends over last night for our first fire, and I think I drank my wine and yours! I'd be better if they didn't have those tastings right in the grocery store!

Even with my indulgence last night, I was at 179.2. Maybe, just maybe I will see 178._ by Monday! I fell like I've been stuck on 179._ forever. Today is my 19th anniversary, and we hit the meat market yesterday for steaks, but we also bought red peppers and asparagus, so hopefully I can keep my calories under control! If it doesn't rain, we are going to try to walk and work in the yard more.

Happy Sunday!
  • Jennifer: You'll be surprised how many calories you burn with good old fashioned yard work...much harder than anything I've ever tried in the gym, believe me. Keep thinking about your DD;s big day and your dress..visualization!!

SUM: so happy you found something that works for you. that is what I intend on doing after my 30 day cleanse. did you read any books about IE?

I hope everyone else is doing well.......seems a little quiet here.....

Thanks everyone for your support. this divorce has gone on for well over a year, this fall will make two......I'm growing weary and its hard for me to focus on my health with all this garbage going on..but i'm trying.
  • Well tomorrow will make one week that I've been doing Isa gen ix and I have lost four lbs so far. Not bad. I have three more weeks to go. My first week was so I can get used to the program, now I plan on going full steam ahead with it. I am also incorporating more exercise. I am joinging two other ladies I know for some power walking during the evenings. They go four to five times a week.

I decided to open windows and do some spring cleaning today, and pulled something in my hip when i was cleaning wood floors...I just can't catch a break. On a happier note I think my ovarian cyst disappeared, id on't feel that twang anymore. I'll be having another ultrasound to make sure...

I hope everyone has a great week this week!!! I'm planning on doing my best.....I just wish my biggest problem right now was my weight, it really isn't.....have so much junk I have to get ready for my attorneys before court later this month. Its going to be a crazy week, hope I can keep it together.
  • Sunday: 1480 calories, walked 3 miles on the treadmill

Back on plan after a few days off, which had been the plan. I don't think I really ate as much as I expected. I was so busy running around at DS's birthday that I only had half a piece of pizza and a small piece of cake. But instead of Ethiopian dinner Friday night I had Thai last night, so I'll hold off on weighing in until Tuesday.

zumba, . I am so sorry the divorce has dragged on so long. What an awful situation. I am so impressed with how you've been able to still keep your health on track, and I'm very glad the isa gen ix is working for you.

Jennifer, here's hoping you'll see that 178 on your scale tomorrow! It sucks to get stuck!

Sum, you sound FANTASTIC! Send some dedication vibes my way.

Back to Mad Men..see you all tomorrow!