First post & introduction.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've tried IP before and stuck to it for a few weeks. In that few weeks I lost about 25 pounds; however, I quit when I got pneumonia. I turned 20 yesterday and at my party I realized just how out-of-hand my health/weight has gotten since I graduated high school. I have a number of IP food packets from my last attempt so I have something to start with, but I am in an "I'll start tomorrow" loop! I think the biggest thing holding me back (aside from my fear of failure) is that in May I'm taking a week-long trip to New Orleans and would really like to get my hands on one of Emeril Lagasse's burgers! If I stick to my guns until May, but go to New Orleans and eat at a bunch of restaurants I'm going to feel horrible about myself. I know I can always go right back on IP when I get home (or just no eat all those yummy things during my trip), but I'm still conflicted.

Now for a little bit about myself since I will eventually get going with IP again and I'll be around for a while.

I just turned 20. I live in SE Texas and am currently working on becoming a CPhT so I can pay my way through college. I'm an independent contractor for a writing company and a live-in nanny for a relative (unpaid for now). I'm not sure what I weigh because we don't have a scale in the house, but the last time I checked it was 255. I'm 5'11" and my goal (based on body fat percentage calculations) is, surprise surprise!, 190lbs.

When I am on IP my biggest struggle will be giving up bread, Chinese food, and wing sauce. Thankfully soda is no issue, since I rarely drink it and have my handy-dandy Brita filtered squeeze bottles. Yum, water! :D
  • Hi! You sound like a very busy gal!
    I think thaat you should start NOW! Why not? Then when you leave for your trip you can decide what to do then. Some people are very dedicated and stay on on the diet 100% during their trip and others don't. I am going to Jamaica for a week during Easter and I will be not be following the diet 100%. I do, however, plan to limit my "cheats" to prevent too much weight gain. That is my decision. It is all up to you. This is your life and your diet. My best advice is start now though. You only have weight to lose.
    I have done this plan through using alternative products only and have lost 29 lbs in 11 weeks.
    Good luck and welcome back to IP. Good for you!
  • Good news! frank's Red Hot is IP friendly ! I'm not sure if this is the "wing sauce" you refer to, but if it's not, it might be a good substitute. Good luck!
  • Just a suggestion: start now with the intent of taking a break during your trip. Eat what you want in reasonable quantities. Don't feel bad about yourself. Start back on IP as soon as you get back.
  • You should start now. Think how good you will feel in May? You've already experienced IP and the quick loss in a few weeks. Imagine how much you can be down by the time you go on your trip? Just saying.....
  • Start now & see how you feel in May. At least you'll kickstart your weight loss ~ even if you "cheat" on vacation, you can hop right back on Phase 1 when you get back!
    I'm going on vacation in a month & can guarantee that I will not be 100% OP. I'm not worried about it, I'll just get back on Phase 1 after my trip!
    Good luck!
  • I've also just begun
    I have also just started my journey with Ideal Protein. My first week I lost 12 pounds! That was amazing and I hope the weight continues to come off at a good rate.
  • Welcome! I'm just finishing my first week and my body feels so good. I'd say jump in and decide later. You may surprise yourself and not want to go off P1.
  • Thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome! I am starting this morning. Gonna kick the day off with a fine herbs & cheese omelet and some white tea. I still have birthday cake leftover so that's going to be tough to resist!
  • This is my second week on IP. My husband lost 53 pounds in 14 weeks. This inspired me to try it. He keeps me on track.
  • Stick with it! See how you feel in May--but don't not start because you might be tempted on vacation. Freeze the birthday cake!!! It will still be good next year! And if you crave it you have to wait for it to defrost--making it that much easier to resist because you'd have to WAIT for it. Good luck!!
  • I agree with others, start NOW!

I started IP Oct 12, 2012 with full knowledge that I was going on a Caribbean cruise the first week of Dec AND over my birthday! That 6-7 weeks helped me to lose a decent amount of weight and I enjoyed my cruise that much more. 1. I was more comfortable in my cruise clothes and 2. was less out of shape while doing excursions, swimming, walking, etc.
    I did eat off plan while on the cruise and didn't gain much weight (I think less than 4 lbs)
    So, when you get back, just go STRAIGHT to P1.
    You could consider having the hamburger, since it sounds like it's on your "bucket list". At other restaurants, think about how special is this food? Can I get it anywhere when I get home? Or is it so special that I need to have it now because this is the only place I can get this authentic, cultural food

Personal decisions that only you can make for yourself.
    Best of Luck in whatever you decide!

Quote: I'd say jump in and decide later. You may surprise yourself and not want to go off P1.
    Whereas, I went off plan for the cruise - after I got back on P1, I haven't gone off for any other trips. I am currently in Whistler, BC Canada with my DH and Father-n-law. I have decided to stay 100% OP this vacation. I didn't want to lose my momentum or chance to lose weight during this stretch of time.
    I have always believed that eating off plan for 1 week, will set you back MORE than just that 1 week of weight loss. You not only miss out on the weight you would have lost that week, but you will also lose out on the momentum and the time for your body to re-adjust back to OP and losing again.

The other thing I'm working through on this trip....... this is a personal hang-up of mine. And that I desperately want to solve BEFORE getting to maintenace, P4.
    Part of my thinking is that when I paid for the cruise, the price also included my food/drink. So, I felt like I needed to get my money's worth. Hence, if I ate healthy - I wouldn't be getting my money's worth "losing money, so to speak" because there are so many rich/delicious foods that I'd have to pay a lot for at a restaurant that would be no cost on the ship. Does this make sense?
    So somewhere my thinking is a little warped regarding money and what I get for it when I eat out. In my mind it's ok to pay $25 for a great meal that has everything I love and tastes great, like a great chicken fettucine alfredo pasta with breadsticks and salad beforehand. However, paying $15 for a Cesar salad with no dressing, no croutons, no cheese and adding grilled chicken with no oils, etc. makes me feel like I'm wasting my money. How much does a bowl of Romaine lettuce and a chicken breast really cost them to make?
    What I'm trying to do is train my brain/change my thinking to be.....
    Ultimately, it's MORE than just about the cost of the meal. Although, I may feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the pasta - It's not healthy for me and in the long run will cost me more than just money by having poor health - I will also hate the way I feel and look.
    Whereas, I still don't think the chicken breast salad is worth the amount I end up paying for it, it IS worth being healthier, not feeling yucky after stuffing myself with a heavy fattening pasta dish and being more fit physically from choosing to eat healthy.
    I also, try to focus on the people I'm eating dinner with and the blessing it is to be alive and have all the choices I'm given in life (when so many don't even have THESE choices) .

Let us know what you decide and check in here daily (and stay plugged-in). Good Luck! Jen
  • First post and a little introduction from Fairbanks, Alaska.
    The first thing I want to say about this website and all the wonderfule people who put so much information and encouragement out there to share. WOW!! I have been reading posts on different threads especially regarding the IP diet and am just amazed at all the gals and gents who have information, tips, and so much encouragement to offer to newbies and oldies alike. What a great website and a great bunch people out there.

Okay now a little about me. I just turned 30 last December and hate the way I feel and look. I have not always been overweight, but definately most of my adult life. It started my freshman year in college, when I gained the freshman 15 from bad food and too much beer. Then I met my husband and lost all the weight for our wedding. Six months later got pregnant with baby number 1. Boy did the pounds come on and of course never left my body. Five years later got pregnant with baby number 2 and even more pounds came on. I am too young to feel so old and hate my body the way that I do. I want to feel energized to play with my children and want to set a good example for them. I also am working on finishing my nursing degree and need to be healthy and strong for the work that will be ahead of me and want to also set a healthy example for my patients.

I will be going in on Friday March 29, 2013 to meet my coach, weigh in, and measure before starting the IP diet. I will not officially start until Monday April 1, 2013 to get me past the Easter holiday and give myself a couple days to prepare my meals for the first week. I am so looking forward to watching the pounds come off and my real self come out. I will definately be on this site alot for tips, recipes, and questions. I know that I will be successful and want to share my success with someone who can take my story and make theirs too.

Goodbye for now and Happy Easter this Sunday.

My height is 5' 2.5", my current weight is 203, and my BMI weight should be 125. I have 78 to go.
  • Quote: I agree with others, start NOW!

I started IP Oct 12, 2012 with full knowledge that I was going on a Caribbean cruise the first week of Dec AND over my birthday! That 6-7 weeks helped me to lose a decent amount of weight and I enjoyed my cruise that much more. 1. I was more comfortable in my cruise clothes and 2. was less out of shape while doing excursions, swimming, walking, etc.
    I did eat off plan while on the cruise and didn't gain much weight (I think less than 4 lbs)
    So, when you get back, just go STRAIGHT to P1.
    You could consider having the hamburger, since it sounds like it's on your "bucket list". At other restaurants, think about how special is this food? Can I get it anywhere when I get home? Or is it so special that I need to have it now because this is the only place I can get this authentic, cultural food

Personal decisions that only you can make for yourself.
    Best of Luck in whatever you decide!

Whereas, I went off plan for the cruise - after I got back on P1, I haven't gone off for any other trips. I am currently in Whistler, BC Canada with my DH and Father-n-law. I have decided to stay 100% OP this vacation. I didn't want to lose my momentum or chance to lose weight during this stretch of time.
    I have always believed that eating off plan for 1 week, will set you back MORE than just that 1 week of weight loss. You not only miss out on the weight you would have lost that week, but you will also lose out on the momentum and the time for your body to re-adjust back to OP and losing again.

The other thing I'm working through on this trip....... this is a personal hang-up of mine. And that I desperately want to solve BEFORE getting to maintenace, P4.
    Part of my thinking is that when I paid for the cruise, the price also included my food/drink. So, I felt like I needed to get my money's worth. Hence, if I ate healthy - I wouldn't be getting my money's worth "losing money, so to speak" because there are so many rich/delicious foods that I'd have to pay a lot for at a restaurant that would be no cost on the ship. Does this make sense?
    So somewhere my thinking is a little warped regarding money and what I get for it when I eat out. In my mind it's ok to pay $25 for a great meal that has everything I love and tastes great, like a great chicken fettucine alfredo pasta with breadsticks and salad beforehand. However, paying $15 for a Cesar salad with no dressing, no croutons, no cheese and adding grilled chicken with no oils, etc. makes me feel like I'm wasting my money. How much does a bowl of Romaine lettuce and a chicken breast really cost them to make?
    What I'm trying to do is train my brain/change my thinking to be.....
    Ultimately, it's MORE than just about the cost of the meal. Although, I may feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the pasta - It's not healthy for me and in the long run will cost me more than just money by having poor health - I will also hate the way I feel and look.
    Whereas, I still don't think the chicken breast salad is worth the amount I end up paying for it, it IS worth being healthier, not feeling yucky after stuffing myself with a heavy fattening pasta dish and being more fit physically from choosing to eat healthy.
    I also, try to focus on the people I'm eating dinner with and the blessing it is to be alive and have all the choices I'm given in life (when so many don't even have THESE choices) .

Let us know what you decide and check in here daily (and stay plugged-in). Good Luck! Jen
    Oh wow Jen...we started on the EXACT SAME DAY! I never knew that

I'm so glad you started today! You are going to feel amazing on your vacation in May! Stick with it, you can do it!!
  • I actually ended up having to RE-START yesterday! D: All the vegetables I bought to start with went bad so I had to wait until I got more food stamp money before I could start again. But I'm back again and this time it's 100%. Yesterday was bad because the day before I went to the Texas State Fair and eep! My body is having a hard time! But I have a bunch of hot tea and plenty of IP packets to eat for snacks if I need to. Next week I'm going to buy some Atkins bars (the ones that are safe to eat... I had a list of the allowed ones somewhere...hm) and am buying a journal to write down my daily food intake.

I'm definitely going to try and stay plugged in! Sometimes I just get so caught up with other things (such as this new job I just got!).