Kid Chat: Week of May 18th

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi Moms,

I think Peter is starting to teeth!! He's been drooling for awhile, which I understand is normal, but he's also been spitting up randomly, like an hour after eating sometimes, and chewing on anything he can get close to his mouth!!

Last night we had a hard time at bed time. He was gassy and spitting up, and just plain miserable...it was like colic revisited!! I gave him saline drops for his snotty nose, and decongestant, then finally gave him some Tylenol. Then I found this teething blanket that out friends handed down to us, so I gave him that, and he was chewing on the rubber edge of that like nobody's business! I finally had to strip him down to his diaper, to make him happy, and rocked him in our bed til he fell asleep around 9:45. He slept through to 4:45 though, then again til around 7:00, so I'm not complaining.

Gotta run, whiney baby calling!!
  • hi guys. doing the one hand thing again. he has been nursing a lot (growth spurt?) and wants me to hold him. not dh, just me. he did sleep in his bed last night. thank goodnesss. i was about at the end of my rope. i think i suck at this mom thing.
  • Karen..u dont suck at it..I felt and feel the same way many times....

Well..we went for the checkup on Friday and her ears were horrible..Had another Rocephin shot and we go back next friday..She is up to 12lbs 12 oz though...Getting soo big!!! I bought her an excersaucer this weekend and she is having soo much fun in it...I just need some sleep!!! She still gets up every 2 hrs to nurse but sleeps soo quick after getting the old belly full!!!
    We started carrots on Sat..She loves them!!! She is soo funny...I find she does great at restaurants if we give her a spoon and she can eat some cereal when we eat..She just wants to eat when we eat!!!!

Lauren-I do get along wiht my mom in law but 2.5 weeks is enough..I did the scream go to my room bit Friday cuz she has a darn comment for everything I say or do...It pi$$es me off when she corrects the things I say concerning the kids..HELLO...I live with them daily and she sees them 3 times a year...
    WEll off to work!!!
    RR
  • At my wits end right now. Daycare called and Peter has been crying all AM!! They said he seems gassy. I called DH to tell him to bring the gas drops over when he goes home at lunch, but his cell is off. I left him a message at home to call me...but he doesn't always go in the bedroom to check them. I could hear him in the background and he was crying horrible. I'm on the verge of tears...no sleep induced, I'm sure...I just wanna go and hug him.

Karen, you don't suck, you're just stressed!! And yes, it's probably a growth spurt.

RR, hang in there!
  • Hi, I'm new and popping over to try to get familiar with some of you. I've got 19 month old boy/girl twins.

Oh, boy, do I remember the "early days" of parenthood. I swear my kids were teething for months and months before we ever saw a tooth. My daughter is STILL drooling and she's 19 months old! All those adorable outfits were (are) either sopping wet down the front or covered up with a bib that never seemed to match! Mylicon drops are great if it's gas, but mine were both full-blown colic PLUS they both projectile-vomited. They had to put them on Zantac (it hardly worked.) How old are everyone's little ones? Lauren? Karen? RoadRunner?

RoadRunner, I'm very familiar with the rocephin - my son had to get three days in a row, two shots each day. It was awful.

Hang in there ladies, you all sound sane and that means you're ahead of the game!!!
  • Hi Adrienne!

Peter will be 4 months on Friday. He was born January 23rd. He was pretty colicky up until 3 months, then suddenly he was much better. He's still a little fussy at night sometimes, but now he's getting into more of a schedule. I think starting daycare helped that. I drop him off in the AM and DH picks him up after work. I give him a bath around 7:30 and then a bottle, or boob if he'll take it, and then bed by 8:30. Usually he's pretty good about going to sleep on his own, but the past few days have been hard.

What are your kid's names? Are you a SAHM or working?

Oh, update on earlier today, I had to leave work at 1:00 and go to daycare. Stopped and got some gas drops on the way there. Of course he was asleep in the swing when I got there. I was sooo mad because I wasted my time, but soo happy that he was finally sleeping. So I have 2 hrs. to make up now. I did one hour tonight, and the next will be Wednesday night. He slept from 1:30-4:40. Had a hard time getting him to sleep tonight, but he's sleeping now, hopefully for the night.

DH set up his crib finally. We were waiting for the manufacturer to send a part that we lost. So tonight is Peter's first night sleeping in the crib. We left one end higher than the other, so if he gets stuffy again, maybe he'll be able to breath a little better. That was my mom's idea, instead of spending the money on one of those wedges.

Gotta go pump and watch soaps! Have a great evening all!
  • Hi Lauren. I am an interesting mix between sahm and working mom. I work part-time in that I go into my office (75 miles from home) on Mondays and Wednesdays only. I drop them at Daycare, dad picks them up. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I'm home home with the kids but I am a lawyer so periodically I have to run into court (near my house) for a quick pre-trial or something. My kids go to daycare on Mondays and Wednesdays for sure, and then usually one day a week one of them goes and the other stays home with me. Either so I can get more errands run, or, like today, because one is sick and it's easier to deal with one sick one alone. My daughter woke up this morning at 4:45 screaming bloody murder and it turns out she was running a fever. So my son went to daycare so I could nap when my daughter napped. Wow, these kids wear me out!!!

My daughter's name is Zoe and my son's name is Avery.

Lauren, you're really smart to have a "nighttime schedule" down. At about 7 weeks we started the "bath, bottle, book, bed" routine at the same time every night. That's how my kids got to the point where they were sleeping through. Zoe was sleeping 8-10 hours by 3 monhts, but my son didn't go through the night without a bottle until 6 months. But by 6 months they were both sleeping a solid 10-11 hours a night. Mine still do the bath, book, bed routine every night starting at 6:30. Bed is ALWAYS 7:15 around here. That's when dad and I get to cuddle on the couch!
  • I just have to brag today! Peter slept in his crib for the first time last night and he went from about 8:45-6:30!! He was all smiles, as usual this AM.

Then I got him dressed and I put his little denim overalls on him with a navy blue onesie t-shirt, these red, white and blue plaid socks and this navy blue denim sneakers with the red and white stripe around the bottom. I topped him off with a denim "gilligan" type hat, and let me tell you, I could eat him up he looked soo sweet!! I am gonna have his 4 month pics taken in that, I think!!
  • Hi guys,

I guess I'm doing OK. Definitely having trouble adjusting to the mom thing. He absolutely will not sleep if I lay him down. We resorted to his car seat last night and he did sleep for four hours twice. Today however I have not had any luck. About 15 minutes is the max I have managed. I've been trying to pump after he finishes to get a couple feedings so DH can help me some. Maybe if he could help at night I wouldn't get so out of sorts.

Hi Adrienne. How in goodness sakes do you manage twins? My little boy is going to be four weeks old tomorrow and as stated above I'm not doing so great at Motherhood!!

Lauren: that is an awesome picture of Peter!! I'm glad that he is doing better. Maybe I have hope when Alex gets to be three months old.

I'm at least having fun watching Oprah give lots of stuff away today. Boy, the things that make me happy now.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
  • Good Evening folks!!!
    Welcome Adrienne!! Kaylee will be 22 weeks old tomorrow..We almost have the night time thing down but not quite..I pick her up from daycare at 4:30 and feed her yellow veges 1/2 jar when we get home..She then breast feeds at 6pm and then bath time at 7pm...I then feed her cereal after the bath and we go into her room and I breast feed her and read..She wakes up freq during the night I think because of her ears..I know it cuz she fusses, I pick her up and she nurses about 3 minutes and goes back to sleep..I think the sucking/swallowing pops the ears and she thinks she needs to do this all night every 2 hrs...

WE are having a bad time with fluid/infection in the ears..She saw the Pedi last friday and I have an appointment on Frid again, but the daycare reported a temp 99.7 today and she is digging in the right ear soo bad today...I am at my wits end!!!!
    She is such a wonderful baby and i just adore her!!!!!
    Take care!!!
    RR
  • WE HAVE A TOOFUM!!!

When I picked Peter up at daycare tonight, he was crying when I put him in his carrier (not unusual), so I started playing with his mouth to get him to stop. Then I decided to rub my finger across his gum to see if it was getting any harder. I felt something hard, so I looked and saw white. I thought it was getting closer to coming through, but when I looked closer, I saw the top of a tooth!! I was shocked, because we suspected he was teething, but my mom said it would be awhile yet!

I'm gonna take a picture tomorrow!

I can't believe my baby boy has a toofum already!! He's growing up soo fast!!
  • Hi guys,

Well, we went back to the pedi today and he gained 7 oz!! An oz per day. She said she was happy with that but not happy with the fact that he is still so small. No supplements yet but we have to go back in two weeks. He got his second hepatitis B shot today and it was awful! He did the hold the breath thing. That one really gets to me.

RR: sorry about the ears. I hope they can do something to make her feel better soon.

Lauren: Cool on the tooth. Now, what happens with nursing? OUCH!!

OK, I'm being paged. Hope you guys are having a great evening!!
  • Hey!

Karen, wow, 2nd Hep B already?! Peter didn't even get any shots until his 2 month appt.!! He goes tomorrow for his 4 month appt., so he'll get the second then. The tooth is just sticking through, so it's not really doing any damage yet! I'm not looking forward to when it does! He's gonna learn real fast not to bite!! How big is Alex now? I'm thinking Peter is close to 20 lbs., and probably around 25-26". I can't wait to take his pic of his first experience with cereal this weekend!! Should be pretty amusing!!

RR, how are the ears doing? Any better?

Adrienne, how's your daughter doing? Hope she didn't pass it on to Avery!

Have a great weekend ladies!! Hope the weather is nice by you...it has to be because the I've forgotten what the sun looks like around here!!
  • Lauren--We go today for an ear checkup..GOod luck with the 4 month shots..We were 2 weeks later on those soo the 6 month ones will be alot later also...We didnt get the Hep until 2 months and the second at 4 months also.....Kaylee has a tooth bud showing and the other night she clamped down on the nipple and boy did those gums hurt!!! I screamed cuz it scared me and she never did it again!! I think I scared her!!!

Karen--What is he weighing now? I will let U know Kaylee's today!!!!

Well off to atttempt pics again!!! No more cry baby pics but I did buy those proofs!!!!
    RR
  • Hi ladies! Yes, Zoe gave Avery her "whatever" (we think it was the flu, but it didn't last long.) I had Zoe at home on Tuesday with a fever, and Avery was at daycare since he was okay. I got a sitter at 3:30 to watch Zoe for an hour so I could start physical therapy (I have a herniated disc.) Right when I arrived at the clinic my cell rang and it was the daycare - Avery now had a fever and I had to go get him. So I didn't get to start p/t! I went to pick up my sick little boy and right when I got there and picked him up he threw up all over me, the other kids, and their cubby holes (where their artwork is kept.) WHAT A WEEK! So I was home on Wednesday with them, hubby stayed home Thursday so I could go back to work, and I'm home today with them. They're gettting better, for sure. But it has not been easy.

Lauren, about that age I, too, saw something white and hard and I thought my daughter was teething but it turned out to be something weird - it was a little calcium spot. It was gone within a week and we didn't get a tooth until like 7 or 8 months. It *could* be that, but who knows, some kids get teeth very early!

Hi, Karen - I don't know how I survived twins. Mine both had colic until they were about 7 or 8 months old and they both vomited at every meal until they were almost 1. I didn't have a lot of 'wonderful' mommy moments that first year. My kids and I are lucky we all survived without me being institutionalized. Hope your little one's ears start to get better. Karen, honest-to-god, there were some days that I only took care of my kids because I knew it was illegal not to. Motherhood is a difficult, demanding, marriage-straining event. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. I've survived (relatively speaking.)

Hi, RR!Be careful if she's not eating for very long - she may be using you as a crutch to get to sleep. At 6 months my son was still taking a 4:30am bottle but he wasn't drinking much of it. He was waking up and wasn't learning to put himself back to sleep. At 6 months I stopped the nighttime bottle for him. I hope you don't mind me telling you what worked for me! One amazing thing about raising kids is that we all do it differently, but in the big scheme of things, they all turn out okay! Of course, throw the ears in and all **** is probably out-of-kilter at your home! We go through Motrin like it's candy around here. Anytime someone's fussing we think "is it ears? a headache? teeth?"

Lauren, has the rest of the week gone good with the crib? That's a wonderful acheivement! Update please!!!!

Thanks for welcoming me. My usual M.O. is usualy to not offer advice about kids unless asked - sorry if I went too far, RR.

What kind of "diet" are you ladies doing? I'm low-carbing. I absolutely HATE it but it's working. I'm desperate to get down to a healthy weight so that I can learn how to eat healthy all over again. I want so badly to teach my children good, healthy eating habits. I don't want them to use food the way I did and I don't want them (my daughter) to have an inappropriate body image. I just want them to be healthy and happy and I realize that I need to do the same.

well, it's naptime for the kids which means it's "clean up" time for me.