Online dating for the over-40 crowd

• I asked this question on the General Chatter board but thought I would ask it here too.

Have you had success with online dating? If so, which sites have worked for you?

I got a lot of responses on the other board but I don't know if that population is in their 20's (and would get a lot of responses) or in their early 40's like I am. Is there a site that you have had more success on for our age group?

Thanks!
  • I have a 40-something friend who went through a divorce about 18 months ago. When she was ready to put herself out there, she put up a profile on eharmony. She was very tentative about it, thought she wouldn't get many responses, and didn't want to face that feeling. It turned out to be quite the opposite. In fact, she got many more responses than she wished to pursue. Specifically, it seemed like a number of people respond to everything, regardless as to what's in a person's profile. For instance, she was specific about wanting to meet a non-smoker, but a number of smokers responded to her. She has made some quality connections through it, though.
  • I am not in my 40s, but my mom is in her early 50s, and she met her now husband on eHarmony about 4 years ago. She says she can't imagine meeting anyone more compatible with her, and it's the happiest I've seen her in a long time. They grew up one town apart their whole lives, but they still probably would have never have found each other without the help of that site, and she still glows when she talks about it. She has a few other friends - some of which are in their 40s, one is even in her 60s - who have met their spouses or partners on eHarmony, as well.

I only have an outsider's perspective, but it seems legit to me.
  • I met my husband on plenty of fish which has the advantage of being free. You do have to be more diligent in screening your replies there but there is a lot more to choose from. We actually worked a mile apart and crossed paths all the time but would have probably never met otherwise. Funny how you see people everyday and don't even notice them.
  • Wow - thanks! I think I will try eHarmony and Plenty of Fish. I will get some pics taken this weekend.
  • This is good to know! I want to dip my feet into the dating realm some time in the near future, and it terrifies me, honestly, lol. I haven't been on a date since I was 19 (I was married for 20 years before it ended this last summer). So weird to be "single" haha, but I have no way of meeting people in my day to day life (I work in a predominantly female field, etc.).
  • My friends are on online sites and they have met a lot of weirdos but a few nice guys also. I personally like to meet men the old fashioned way. My friends like match and Christian mingle.