Sardines and Anchovies

• I am looking for ideas to include sardines and or anchovies in my diet other the on salad.

If you eat them how do you prepare them?

Thanks
  • Anchovies on celery;or mixed with spaghetti squash to make mock pad thai.
    I think sardines are delicious I mustard sandwiches or straight out of the can.

Very economical, too.
  • I eat sardines occasionally. The best way to eat them is to not look at them. I don't eat bread now, but I used to enjoy them on toast with some mustard or cheese.
  • Anchovies go on pizza, but somehow, I don't think that is the kind of suggestion you are looking for. LOL!

I love sardines, but I think I have only had them as an appetizer on a cracker.
  • Pasta. I usually heat up anchovies in some olive oil and it kind of liquifies them. I then add that to some tomato sauce (it can be home made or store bought). Adds a delicious flavor. Just be sure to cover the pan when your heating them because they "pop." Also there is a Mario Batali recipe out there that I've made a few times and is to die for. Search google or food network for "spaghetti with caramelized onions, anchovies and bread crumbs." Definitely one of the better pasta dishes I've had. A word to the wise though, make sure you buy the whole, big anchovies. They are infinitely better than the ones that come in the can. You do have to remove the backbone yourself but it isn't that hard.
  • Here's the recipe. I can tell this is something I would like. My DH would probably run away from home if I cooked this. LOL. I can make it for me for lunch sometime when he is out to lunch with his pals. The cats would probably be joining me on the table.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
  • That's the one. I highly recommend it. Very good. I've found you don't actually need as much anchovy as it calls for. You can get by with about half.
  • Gail lol at the pizza comment. The pasta sounds good.