Quest Bar as an alternative

You're on Page 20 of 31
Go to
  • Quote: Ok, guess the hubby is getting my extra bars. Lucky guy
    Just keep them for restricteds.
    You'll need them over time.
  • I had to get some to see what all the hubbub was about.
    I guess I could take em or leave em, I got the buy 3 get 1 free and have tried the chocolate chunk and cookie dough.
    I think it's the texture, kind of sandy. The numbers reminded me of all the low carb bread debates from my first time on this diet.
    I also scanned one into my fitness pal and it had total carbs as 3 (instead of 21) and still had the fiber content as 17 so watch out for that if you track numbers.
  • Quote: I had to get some to see what all the hubbub was about.
    I guess I could take em or leave em, I got the buy 3 get 1 free and have tried the chocolate chunk and cookie dough.
    I think it's the texture, kind of sandy. The numbers reminded me of all the low carb bread debates from my first time on this diet.
    I also scanned one into my fitness pal and it had total carbs as 3 (instead of 21) and still had the fiber content as 17 so watch out for that if you track numbers.
    Someone probably entered net carbs, rather than total. Remember, MFP is user-entered.
    But they must've subtracted sugar alcohol, as well (which I don't do...I only subtract fiber) or else they just miscalculated. I'd count 21-17=4 net carbs.

I would count the cookie dough as a super restricted based on fat content.
  • Quote: I had to get some to see what all the hubbub was about.
    DH and I tried the Quest Bars some time ago and felt the same. I really wanted to love them, as so many others do. That way, I could buy some locally in a pinch. I think it is a texture thing for me. DH didn't care for them all that much either. We did try the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bar and warmed it up, as others had mentioned. It was ok, but just not our fave. We all definitely have different tastes.

I agree with Lisa on the MFP info. I have found a wide range of info and at first it confused me. Because it is user entered, you really need to verify. I usually Google a product if I have questions and look at the manufacturer's web site to get the actual info straight from the source before entering it in MFP.
  • Quote: Someone probably entered net carbs, rather than total. Remember, MFP is user-entered.
    But they must've subtracted sugar alcohol, as well (which I don't do...I only subtract fiber) or else they just miscalculated. I'd count 21-17=4 net carbs.

I would count the cookie dough as a super restricted based on fat content.
    It happened when I scanned the actual barcode on the product.
  • Someone gave me a bunch of the Quest bars so I thought I'd try them (besides, I'm cheap and won't pass up free product!). They're ok - but I'm not in love with them. I suspect I would buy them in a pinch, but not my favorite. Funny how all our tastes differ.
  • I only like them microwaved! Eating them "straight" does nothing for me.
  • Just ate my first one - cinnamon roll. Add me to the "just ok" club. At first it was pretty good but then it seemed like I'd never get to the end of it. Also I hated it up and the texture got strange as it cooled. I kind of rolled it into bite sized dough balls.

I just commented to my mother that whoever says these are to die for must be really tired of shakes!
  • Also just ok for me.

I did follow a suggestion from an old Quest thread ... cut them into small bits and baked (in the oven) until soft and almost soft-cookie-hot-out-of-the-oven texture. Ate them still very warm and that was probably my favorite way to have them! Did that with cinnamon roll, brownie and cookie dough.
  • Funny, I just saw an "ad" for them on facebook, so came here to look at the alternatives thread to see what you all would say about them...and then saw this post up top about Quest bars. I was going to look and see if they were restricted or what. I'd love to try some different bars than IP, just to save some money, but I'm looking for unrestricted items. Are there ANY bars out there that are unrestricted?
  • So funny! I really love Quest bars!
  • I have now had a whole bar at a sitting twice, and both times I spent the next day starving to death!!! So clearly while the fiber and sugar alcohol don't count in the net carb conversion, this food certainly woke Walter!!! (He is my carb dragon). I have since decided that instead of avoiding these bars altogether I cut them into 10 or 12 pieces and enjoy a little piece now and then. So far Walter stays asleep which is good and I get a smackerel of yummy!!
  • My DH swears by these bars! He lost 55 lbs in 3 months on IP, was 100% protocol for 3"weeks them switched to the bars and the Pure protein shakes from Costco for snacks.... He has been very successful using these and loves them. I'm hoping for the same success.
  • I am a HUGE fan of the bars and tried them all. At this point, I only buy vanilla, choc chunk and a few strawberries. I can eat them all day and they really satisfy me and keep my hunger at bay. However, I crave them and I have found when sticking to P1, they are too high in calories unless I really watch my other foods.
  • Was out today and bought the Lemon Cream Pie one. Took one bit and tossed it. Tasted like soap to me.