Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb11 - Feb 17

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Oh, yeah, the things you find and you don't know what they are! I can't tell you how many cords I've found--not electric cords, but computer-type cords. Well, as far as I'm concerned, if we're not using it now, we won't need it in the future, so out they go!

Right now I'm just a tad upset. Mostly at myself as I "knew" I was right and now have found out I'm wrong. It turns out that the 5 or 6 mile distance means that we're in a different telephone station so we can't take our phone numbers with us. Ugh! I've already ordered and had delivered our new letterhead and business cards--WITH the phone numbers. So now I'm investigating to see if the cable company can do magic and allow us to get cable phone and keep the same numbers. I have to wait until Tuesday to find that out, though.

It's not a giant, huge expense to redo the letterhead and business cards, maybe a couple hundred dollars, but the hassle of informing EVERYONE that we have new numbers will be the worst part! The address is one thing, but the phone--we've had the same numbers for about 24 years!
  • Quote: well? Did it make it until noon? Or were there some left with a bite taken out and then put back?
    Last time I looked there were only a few left. I looked at the box and the entire box has 4000 calories!!!

On my desk now is more random chocolate, a smushed cupcake, random lollipops, etc. And I'm madly chewing my snap peas!
  • I forgot to mention the best/funniest gift. A little girl just brought me a heart tattoo that says Justin Bieber! I am very tempted to put it on!!
  • Quote: I forgot to mention the best/funniest gift. A little girl just brought me a heart tattoo that says Justin Bieber! I am very tempted to put it on!!
    Gotta love the Bieb (at least my nieces do). That's so sweet that the kids are bringing you Valentine's Day gifts.

Dagmar
  • Michele, I agree that it's lovely that the kids are bringing you gifts!

Allison, good luck with that phone number issue. I've had the same home phone number for 25 years and I can't imagine changing it. I know the cable company here can get you your old number if you switch to their phone system (which I really should do).

Megan, I've done some craft-y type things with little kids and have found them to be quite open to learning, and a lot of fun to teach. I'm glad you had such a good time.

And the random stuff we find when moving - I know it well. As I've gotten older and more subject to mental atrophy concurrent with age, I've been getting rid of things like keys and little bits and bobs I find in drawers. And I've started putting labels on all the cords and chargers I have for my various devices because I'm sick of wondering what they're for - Ipod, Kindle, phone, camera? I have even labelled all the cords behind my TV connecting DVR, DVD, stereo system, etc. I love my label maker!

My office was awash in baked goods and pizza and all manner of treats today. I did not do well. I think I'm going to have to turn in my "maintainer" card. But I kicked butt on my recumbent bike when I got home, 60 minutes straight and I added a lot of arm movements to get my heart rate up. I was soaked by the end of it.

Have a great weekend, all!
  • Steph-- don't be hard on yourself! Yesterday was tough and you went home and had an awesome workout. Kudos!!
  • HUGE dinner out with BF and snacks before and after. Down a lb, at 122.8 now. Both gym scale and home scale said so. What's going on...?

I have SPRING FEVER badly, a few days over 40 and I'm convinced it's spring. I am looking forward to running outside on the bike path after work.

michele - I am 26 years old and bought those same Justin Bieber valentines w/tattoos for my (also mid-late twenties) friends last year...

alinnell - That's a pretty big annoyance about the changing number. No matter how many reminders you send, people are bound to forget!

Steph - Focus on the workout not the pizza! You are still a maintainer!

Megan - Glad you had a good day at work
  • I found out this morning that my uncle met his weight loss goal last night - he is my dad's baby brother and is only 4 years older than me so we grew up together. He has lost 190.6 pounds. Wow. That is an entire adult male. I'm so proud of him, he looks fantastic. He says his challenge now is to learn how to maintain that loss. I've invited him to pop in and check us out, hopefully he'll take us up on it.
  • Shannon, congratulate your uncle for me. That is fantastic !
  • How did your Uncle lose the weight? Wow!!

Take it and run Krampus! Don't ask why! You have youth on your side....
  • Michele - he used weight watchers. He said his worry now is to figure out how to stop losing weight, he has been in losing mode for so long. He said that he used to laugh when he heard people say that at goal and figured it couldn't be that hard, but now he doesn't know what to do.

Krampus - take the loss and run, absolutely.

Allison - I bet that the cable company can move your number, they are VOIP so have less restrictions than the ones from the phone company.

Steph - one day of indulgence doesn't take away your maintainer status. And the fact that you came home and exercised just says you are in control and not the food.

I'm still kind of unsettled and running crazy this week. Hope the weekend levels it out. We are going to a swing dance event tonight - actually, swing music with a dance lesson, imax film and martinis at a local museum. I wanted to do something fun and out of the mold - it is a Valentine's Day celebration as we had DSS last night so our romantic night was frozen pizza and cartoons. We did have a nice dinner Wednesday night, so I guess we are bracketing VDay with two celebrations. LOL
  • Afternoon all,

I knew BF would cook dinner for me last night, but he surprised me with tilefish. Mmm. We discovered this fish last year at the fish market and love it. It's a meaty, white fish similar to grouper, but without the price tag. It was a nice Valentine's Day gift. Today, more school groups and outreach for work. The classes today were a little more chaotic. This has been a really fun project and I've met some great people. After a few busy weekends I'm looking forward to having a weekend "off".

Shannon, wow, how great for your uncle! Kudos to him. Enjoy your date night tonight. Swing dancing sounds fun.

Krampus, maybe you're burning off more than you realize at the gym... in any case, I'd take the loss and be happy about it.

Steph, sounds like a great workout to balance out some of those office goodies. Real life is about balance, after all, not perfection. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Allison, I hope you can work something out to keep your phone #s. My BF has had the same cell phone # for over 10 years, with an exchange # that is outside of our local calling area so it costs .25 cents to call from a local phone. He could get a local number now, but refuses bc "everyone has THIS number!"

Have a great weekend everybody.
  • Wow, 190 pounds! That's amazing! Congrats to your uncle, Shannon! My brother has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 60, with about 40 more to go and DD has also lost 60 or 70, but those are "children" compared to your "full-grown male."

Shannon~oh, I do hope the cable company can help!! You'd think that moving from one area of the city to another wouldn't necessitate a change. If it doesn't work out, it'll just be a bit of a hiccup in that we'll have to tell everyone AND get reprints on our business cards, letterhead, checks and invoices. Yeah, it'll cost about $1000, but we've made more costly mistakes!

Krampus~take the loss and run! I'd be ecstatic if it happened to me. Instead I'm staying steady, and at a higher than desired weight.

So I had my annual physical today. Frustrating as I waited 45 minutes in the waiting room and another 10 in my paper clothes the exam room. Anyway, he was fine with my weight, loved my blood pressure, loved my supplements, wants me to go to half-caf coffee (what? NO!) and wants me to exercise more. DH and I have been discussing ways to do this as he needs to do more as well. The Doctor did like that I golf twice a week and walk the course with my clubs, though. So now a mammo and I'm good to go. DH and I have exams with lab work a week from tomorrow, so I'll just have them send the labs to my doctor and I won't have to pay anything!
  • Shannon-- as someone (me) who lost my weight on Weight Watchers, I love that your uncle was so successful! He needs to keep attending meetings and they will help him understand maintenance. He will be able to add a few more points in for maintenance. I still track my food and exercise (usually) and weight at least once a month-- tomorrow-- gulp....

Allison-- glad your doctor was pleased with your checkup!
  • As I've said in the "Having a Rough Time" thread Jen Cherrypie just set up, I had a week of setbacks: money worries, mild depression, self-medicating with food, low self-esteem, feeling unworthy of being in this maintenance group at all. I guess many of us have these setbacks, but I sure don't want this one to last any longer!