February Chat

You're on Page 3 of 11
Go to
  • Hey everyone...I am still here..healing from the wreck still. Like I thought once I was able to start eating again I gained the weight back...ugh...but I wasn't able to work out like I thought I could. I would walk at 2.5 mph with no incline for less than 20 min and was in pain. I am still having pain in my rib area even when not working out...stupid drunk driver. But I had to go back to the doc today and he told me to take my pain meds and muscle relaxers before I went to work out. because he is sure it is all muscle damage and walking and water aerobics will help it heal. I thought he was crazy..I said "you want me to fall asleep on the treadmill?? and how am I supposed to drive there and back???" Then remembered my daughter has a license So she took me tonight..and I didn't fall asleep..and felt GREAT while working out...I was able to do a few min bursts of 3 mph but stayed mostly at 2.7 mph with no incline (I don't want to over do it) for 40 min. I could have went longer but my daughter was done working out. So not where I was but no pain while doing it! YAY!

I need to get my body back to being able to work out so I can apply for a CNA job...then I can sign up for classes to get ready to go to school to be an RN. Until I am able to physically do a CNA job I am kind of on hold changing careers. I dont' want to sign up for classes then tell a person interviewing me "hey..I have classes so...work around my schedule..." and on the drunk driver criminal case he wants to fight the 3rd DUI charge..he says he will plea to a 1st DUI charge. The DA says..yeah right...and is thinking about adding a felony reckless endangerment charge as well. So hopefully that will make the guy plea guilty and save us the mess of going to court and testifying..though he is screwed if he wants that. The DA said with us and our witnesses he won't really stand a chance. Also the DA is considering going after the business that served him too much alcohol. he said places around here need to learn a lesson.

So all is going good right now!! YAY!! I haven't found a car yet..well I have but it is new so I am waiting until I have a job to buy it. My husband can afford it but I hate doing that to him.

I hope everyone is doing as well as I am...I am determined to have a great 2013 because 2012 sucked.

I love how you feel after a good work out...so happy, so wonderful..and I am on that high right now...plus medication but we will say it is all the work out
  • Healthy day. Ate well. Walked for an hour. Plenty H2O. I also did my spring cleaning of the bathroom. I scrubbed & scrubbed & scrubbed...whatta work-out. Ending the day with a 1/2-cup of blackberry yogurt. YUMMY!!!

Still no word on H's pacemaker. I know it'll happen. For the time being we are just doing all we can: eating healthy, exercising (he went with me on the walk) & making sure he is taking his meds as prescribed. I still worry A LOT, but what can you do? I think it's actually brought us closer...I didn't think that was possible after 24 yrs, loss of a parent for both of us & other assorted life stuff...but it's happened. I think we're going to need it if we want to reach our goal within a year of his pacemaker being placed. I want him off of many of the drugs he is taking as possible! Some of them have some very scary side effects after long-term use.

NEMom: I could not imagine going to such a sad event. I went to the funerals of 2 HS boys who were killed by a drunk driver when I worked with a local youth group. Tore my heart out. Suicide is never the answer...it is a permanent solution to a temporary situation. Unless someone is terminally ill, there is ALWAYS hope, a way out or through. If all of us were to give up when things got bad/rough, no one would live long enough to do whatever amazing things life has in store for us: touch lives around us, create a family, bring laughter/joy to others, ____________ (we can all fill something in the blank that wouldn't have happened if someone in our life had taken their own). Do not give up on your son & do not let him give up on himself!

Moondance: Scales are fickle. That's why mine has been spending quite a bit of time in "time out". I refuse to be it's slave. It's a piece of equiptment, nothing more...nothing less.

LindaWW: Good job keeping those 2# off! May a few others decide to join them! Good luck!!! Thanks for the prayers & good wishes. Yup, it can't come soon enough in my book!!!

LuvCats: Good job on the exercise! Keep it up! Yeah, I look at how they are building houses these days...NO THANKS! I don't want a neighbor who can see in my bathroom/bedroom window. I like my privacy A LOT!!! Yup, kids do grow up faster than our minds can comprehend sometimes. I don't have kids, but I look at my nieces & nephews and they already have kids of their own, careers of their own. When did that happen???

onmiwei: Since it's his third DUI/DWI...I'd say, "NO DEALS!" He clearly has NOT LEARNED from previous "mistakes". That doesn't fly with me at all! He belongs behind bars to learn what it is like to not have freedom to do what he likes (just like you trying to get back into working out, trying to better yourself with a new profession, not having a vehicle) & also to keep others safe for at least awhile (can't drink & drive while locked up!). I hope that you are able to get back into the swing of things soon. Just take it easy, listen to your body & doctor. Best of luck!!!

Well, it will be an early night for me. They have been remodeling the apt. next door for the LAST 3 DAYS!!! They start at about 7:30AM...UGH! Enough of the hammering!!! And toxic smells!!!

Have a great, healthy Thursday!!! Be the amazing women I know that you are!! GO!!! GO!!! GO!!! YOU ALL ROCK!!!
  • NEmom I'm not sure what to say I guess you just need to stick by your son's side right now and impress upon him *your* thoughts about the service, how valuable that boy was, how bereft his family is, etc etc. Ugh...

Moondance So well put: "just truckin' along, one day at a time, one meal at a time, trying to make good choices and get to the gym every work day." That's what I'm doing too. Really, it's all you *can* do, at least in my book. One foot, one day, after another. Thanks for pointing me to those posts. Yeah, I've been reading them. I'm not quite sure what I think of them, which is why I haven't posted on them. I haven't found the "happy place" yet that she seems to have wrt her body...

LindaWW It can be overwhelming to try to reply to everyone. Just do what you can. I don't think anyone gets offended if they get missed. Sometimes I feel like I'm writing more for my own benefit than for anything else... 120 crunches every morning -- WOW. I just don't have the discipline to do anything like that. My "unclothed" muffin top went away around 185, but I can still get one clothed if my pants are too tight... LOL

OnMiWei You sound like you're in a really good place right now; keep it up!

MrsTryingAgain Yeah, I've got to do that scrubbing, too. Bought the scrub brushes, step 1. Can't seem to motivate my self for step 2, the actual scrubbing, yet. LOL Hoping to do that before my trip in March. I know DH would be appreciative.
  • Happy Thursday to all my wonderful 40 something friends!

I am sorry I do not have time for personal replies but want to thank you all for the support you have show for my son. Your caring is why I love this forum so much. We did receive the test results from the doctors office and thankfully there is nothing medically wrong with him we need to work on some of the mental stuff and we will together.

Yesterday food was okay. Nothing exciting going on here. Scale is still not moving down. I keep repeating in my head that my weight loss goes in cycles: I hold steady, lose a pound or two, around ovulation I will have a whoosh and then I will probably bounce around up a lb or so. Rinse and repeat. I am trying to keep the long term goals in sight, just that it does get frustrating not seeing a lower number.
    Ok, enough of my pity party. Hope you all have a wonderful and healthy Thursday!
  • We got much needed rain! Thank goodness! We haven't had any precipitation since Christmas....which will lead us to a very, very dry spring/summer. And I really want to be able to go camping up in the mts. & see streams/rivers flow!!! Yup, I AM going for a walk out in it in about 30 mns!!! I got my rain jacket & umbrella at the ready!

NEMom: Yes, it will take time to adjust to this shock in your son's & your life. Just take the steps, be there for one another, give each other love & support, & I if you need more support...we are just a couple of keyboard strokes away!!! As for the scales: 1. They are just tools! Do not let them rule your life/progress. 2. Look at other part of your health to see how you are doing. Feel better, sleep better, have more stamina, etc.

Newleaf: It wasn't much fun, but it was needed. Eventhough I clean regularly, it still needed a heck of a scrubbing. I hung a new shower curtain, put out fresh towels & fresh bath mat. I actually like walking into the bathroom this AM! It was like...WOW! Did cleaning fairies come through here?!!!

EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD, HEALTHY DAY!!! TAKE AT LEAST ONE HEALTHY STEP TODAY. REMEMBER EACH STEP TOWARDS YOUR GOAL IS ONE TOWARDS HEALTH! GO!!! GO!!! GO!!!
  • Ugh... no motivation today... but I got myself outside in the cold to walk for 3.67 miles (but who's counting??).
  • newleaf: It was cold outside here, too! I did see last night on the weather that indeed the jet stream had dipped for us & that the stormy weather was coming from the north. But that is okay! Made me walk a little faster! Move it!!! Move it!!! Move it!!! And on top of that there was hardly anyone out there with me! 1 guy with his dog & that was it! So I got to listen to all the birds chatter back & forth about the weather & where there was eats, at least I think that is what they were saying!
  • newleaf: Interesting trivia about donuts. I had no idea a chocolate donut could be a better choice than a muffin. Great job exercising today despite feeling no motivation. P.S. Count that 3.67 miles! You earned it!

Ha ha SeeMyFeet I agree completely about liquid donuts sounding gross.

NEMom: I don't blame you for feeling sensitive, even over-sensitive if someone made it sound like suicide is okay even if your son wasn't dealing with the issues he is. Great job on keeping up on C25K! So true about weight going in cycles. Unfortunately that doesn't make it easy on the upward/steady part of the cycle. Hope your Thursday is happy & healthy too!

Moondance: Thanks for pointing us to BerryBlondeBoys posts. Very interesting food for thought. As for my moving (exercising, lol) it is going well! I think I did the most I ever have today on my elliptical (both in time and mileage).

LindaWW: Good for you to focus on meals where you leave the table full but are low-cal. Keep it up!

onmiwei: I can relate to car accidents unfortunately. I have to call myself lucky although sometimes I wonder, lol. I've been in quite a few (only one considered my fault though I argue with that) but in each one everyone involved has walked away. I'm glad you were able to workout with no pain. Good luck with the job search/classes.

MrsTryingAgain: Thanks about the exercise. It feels very good! WTG on the exercise and spring cleaning. Yummy reward. Lol I agree completely with you about scales... mine is used 1x per week and that is it! Keep up the good work!

Just got done exercising... so far OP today and I plan to keep it that way. The sun is out at the moment so perhaps I will take our dog (a black lab... I think her goal in life is to chase a ball as often as possible) for a walk to the dog park. First lunch and a little more ME time. Have a wonderful day everyone! Keep up the good work!
  • Newleaf and MrsTrying - Burr. I am a fair weather gal, you two are made of sterner stuff than I am cause I hate walking in the cold. Good for you for getting it out there and getting it done.

LuvCats - Woo Hoo! You got your exercise in, had a good food day, the sun was out and you had YOU time. Perfect - love it when a plan comes together.

Yesterday was ok foodwise. Kept the calories within limits, could have ate less dinner but hey, it was good.
    Finished W3 of the C25K program this morning. Its like I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. While I am struggeling to get through the running portion the devil is saying "OMG, you can't do this, you can't do this" and the Angel is saying "Relax, focus, you can do this, relax breath, yes you can". Hard to shut the devil out and listen to the Angel but I know if I'm gonna make it I need to. (Crazy, I know)

Hope you all have a wonderful, wonderful weekend!!! TGIF
  • NEMom. I know what you mean by the internal little devil telling you to ease up. I find music on the ipod drowns out that devils voice.
  • NEMom:

It was very good. Sounds like you did well too.

Have a great weekend everyone! Send any unwanted snow to me, lol.
  • Hi all....30 inches of snow here so I've been snowed in...it isn't so bad, atleast we have power. I haven't been munching out of boredom but not losing weight either..my workout for today will be trying to get my car out from under snow...not easy task and I wonder if it isn't even possible given the snow is up to the hood.....I have to shovel like crazy just to get near it.....should take a few hours, maybe i'll do it in shifts....this should be a real workout, nothing like zumba!
  • Hello Everyone!

Last week was very stressful at work - but I made it through - and with NO WINE or STARCHY CARBS! Lost 3.5 pounds last week - 1 pound ahead of my goal tracking schedule!! Now weighing in at 142.5

Also, the kids and I joined a fitness center - they have expressed an interest, and I want to fuel it - so I've invested the money not only in the membership, but I bought each of us 10 personal training sessions over the next 10 weeks. Not inexpensive - ($24 for each 30 minute session) - - but I want the kids to learn to work out in the right way, and to be motivated by a professional trainer. As for me, I am still running, but I want to learn how to use all of the weight machines, and work a "core" (AKA ABS) routine into the mix. I love running, and just have never found the same fun in lifting weights or doing crunches.....at any rate, we are all excited.

I committed to no wine until I hit my goal, but I have to admit I'm entertaining the idea right now. I ran 5K this morning, cleaned the house, ran to the Apple store and got my PC fixed, and bought a size 4 pair of "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" If you've never tried them, you should - - they say to buy a size smaller than you really are because they stretch - - they are SOOO comfortable. Expensive, but comfortable.

...then I went to the Health Food store, and stocked up on lots of good food for the week, made a vegan chicken salad for my lunches, veggie chili....now doing laundry.

I have room in my caloric budget for the wine....just trying to decide if it's worth it. Somehow lighting the fire and celebrating a successful week with a nice Chardonnay seems appropriate and appealing. I DO need to figure out a maintenance plan - just didn't put wine into my personal "program"...so going outside of it seems "bad" - - if I do it, I want it to be CHOICEFUL, and then re-calibrate off again tomorrow....one or let's face it - TWO glasses of wine in 9 days isn't bad....it's if I drink more than that, or go back to using it to relax every evening....I sound like an addict...LOL The same by-the-way, is true for me and starchy carbs - - but THAT one is a downhill spiral for SURE...LOL I know myself too well.

Anyway - I'm really proud of myself, glad my PC is FINALLY fixed, and ready for a better work week!!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend...I'm looking forward to checking in more regularly now!!

Sheila
  • Its Monday (again). Wish I was HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY but I am so tired. Fighting nodding off at my desk and I have so much work to do.

ZUMBA - OMG 30 inches of snow. It has been so long since we have had that amount and I can say, I don't miss it. The western part of our state did get 3 to 4 FEET this weekend. So happy that missed us. Hope you had fun shoveling, bet your arms are sore. Did you get your car out??

Shelia - WOW! congrats lady on your loss! That is a great loss and I will admit that I am jealous.
    Too funny, we took my son and signed him up at a fitness center this weekend too. On Thursday he has his first free session with a personal trainer but I plan to purchase some personal training sessions for him. $24 per 1/2 hour is pretty good. I am thinking (not sure) that it is going to cost me closer to $50 per session but luckily I am only paying for one person not three (ouch). I did not join because I am happy working out in the morning at home. My mom and I are going to start some water aerobics soon but at a different place. He is excited and I need to get my foster son in there to sign him up too so Chris has someone to go with.

My weekend was busy. Food wise it was okay. No binges but too much alcohol on Saturday. Had a good time just drank too much.
    As I have mentioned before, my son is having some depression/self confidence issues. I took him to my hairdresser this weekend for a cut and his new style is soo nice. It makes him look like a young man not a boy. It is amazing how much difference a hair stylist can make when they really care about the client and their look. His cuts are not cheap but I have to tell you, seeing how happy my son is over a simple hair cut makes me SOO happy.
    Still working on the C25K program. I knew today started 5 min of running (not a lot of time but a lot for me). Before I fell asleep last night I was repeating to myself "Believe you can and you will". Struggled to get out of bed this morning but I made it through the program for today. Really need to work in the positive self talk. It does make a difference.
    I need to find some inspirational posters to put around my exercise equipment in the basement to keep me motivated.
    Scale is still not moving but I ran for a whole 5 minutes in a row twice this morning so I will call today a win.
    Have a great day all!!!
  • Good morning ladies!

It's time for me to get ready to head out of the day but wanted to quickly jump in here and say hello. It's another new week. We are here and we are trying to do something good for ourselves and I think that is half (or more than!) the battle. Keep it up!

Have a great day all!