Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 9 of 18
Go to
  • Thanks for the support!!
    WELLCOME kindercoach!! You are in the right place to find support, and people who have passed/are passing the same experiences like you are!!
    And thank you all who have replied to my post about my so so week! It really gets frustrating sometimes staying in control, even if you know perfectly it's the only way to feel good. No choice is the freedom of not having to choose... this so so week can be stressful! But I realised that I may only need a vacation from work in the end...ufffff....

About the Pope, well...lots of words on the newspapers but in this period we also have a lot of (useless) words about politicians because on 24th february there are the elections.
    I'm bored and fed up by both the subjects.. about the Pope because I think it's been humble from his part admitting he's just a man, an old man who doesn't want to go on with this role, and I respect him as human being, but I'm an unbeliever so I think Church is just politics, I don't really care about what they do.
    And I feel disappointed about the "other" Italian politics, because, as you may know things are not going so well here from the economical point of view (like in most part of the world I think...).

Going back to us...challenges for my coming weekend?....always.... MUM'S LUNCH!!!!! AAaaahhaaaa

Kitty
  • Hi folks/becksters/friends...

Kindercoach - WELCOME!!! I am so glad you posted. Folks here are helpful and friendly.

Yesterday was about 90% op. My plan took lots of twists and turns... but, I stayed within the perimeter of my plan. I did, however, eat a few hundred extra calories in the evening. It will just take me a couple of days to figure out the best way to combine my three needs in eating. There's alot to choose from, kinda. It won't hurt me to eat cooked fruits and veggies for a little while.

I am happy to say that I got to move my ticker to 213. I had been playing with 6 pounds for several months. I am pretty happy about it!

I did my journal, planned (went out the window) - but, did OK, measured, logged food and sodium, exercises, meditation, arc/rc, and breakfast/lunch/dinner we 20 minutes long or so. Credits.

I've been to some meetings and am putting all my stories on paper. I have most of them in my head. This will be a big job. (22 years worth!) I am trying to figure out how to find a literary agent to help me get two children's books published. It's just so hard - most publishers don't take unsolicited copy anymore. Not fair.....

I will try to get back to personals later, if I can.

Remember - treat yourself as kindly as you would treat a good friend.
  • Welcome, Kindercoach!! I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your challenges! GREAT JOB so far - you've really done well.

I've only been here a little while, but everyone has been very welcoming and supportive, as well as handing out great tips!
  • Hi Everyone!

Welcome Kindercoach! As others have said it's a good group of people here, very supportive and encouraging.

Yesterday was okay until after dinner, I hate it when I don't plan well, I was still hungry and ended up endlessly snacking. Guess the only plus side was it was on rice cakes but they still were not on the plan. Am feeling the same way tonight after dinner but think I'll go and get an apple instead!

I'm really tired this week and am looking forward to a long weekend with no definite plans. I'm paying for being in the office all day on Sunday. At least the puppies have been sleeping through the night, even last night when I had a sneezing attack at 4am, they didn't stir at all. Here's hoping it's the same tonight without the sneezing.

I'll be back soon!
  • Hi all!

I'm up a bit late tonight--but need to get some sleep.

Food and exercise OP today. DD asked what was for dinner tonight and I had to pull MFP to know what fruits we were having for dinner (strawberries and blueberries).

I didn't make my lunch and snack for tomorrow afternoon right after dinner, so just did it now--and found that I was hungry. Credits to me for not having any of the strawberries, ham, or cheese that I was packing up.

I am wondering if I need to start thinking about adding an evening snack. I'm eating less at dinner (didn't finish my measured cup of tortillini and 3/4 cup of meat sauce). I ate one tortillini past the recognition that I was full. I had a sense of defiance--this is my dinner--I measured it out--I get to eat it all, which is how the extra one got consumed. But m goal needs to be stopping when I'm full, even if I've stacked the deck in my favor by giving myself a measured portion. I still can get full before I finish--and I need to honor that and not listen to my mouth wanting another bite of the tasty goodness.

I found it easier to stop at lunch--finished almost all of my salad--but realized I was full with strawberries still there. I had another rebellious moment where I wanted to eat my delicious strawberries--but resolutely stopped and closed up the container.

There is definitely something in me that wants to finish what's on my plate.

I have everything planned out for tomorrow. Credit for that! Oh--and I was down another pound this morning. I'm waiting to see if it "sticks" before updating my ticker.

Beverlyjoy: Credit for staying within the parameters of your plan. YAY for 213!

BillBE: I'm glad you were able to enjoy your leftovers. That sounds like a fascinating lecture.

Bootedkitty: Do you have a strategy for Mum's Lunch? It's an on-going thing--and it sounds like your mom is a great cook!

gardenerjoy: Credit for the scale success!

Kindercoach: Welcome! This is a great group to have for diet buddies and coaches--and a great group to be one for. Congrats on the 66 lbs--that's terrific.

Lexiss: I'll drive 40 miles for a SumoMandarin (and I don't know what those are).

nationalparker: Credit for getting on the treadmill even when you didn't feel like it--and finding out you felt better for having done it. Your special event coming up made me think of the woman in the pink book who is concerned about people judging her on the beach. Do you think there's any way to let go of the anxiety about being 'not as thin as everyone else at this one specific event', while still keeping the motivation?

Tazzy: Credit for selecting an apple rather than the rice cakes. If you want food after dinner, do you need to plan an evening snack? I know I'm starting to wonder if I do. I hope you rest less-sneezily tonight.

Have a great Thursday everyone!
  • Thank you for the welcome. Today was MUCH better than yesterday, which ended up in an all-out binge. I did valentines for my Kindergarteners tonight along with chocolate hearts...sampled some...but DIDN'T EAT THE WHOLE BAG
    Tomorrow night is weigh-in. I'm upset at myself b/c if I'd not gone crazy yesterday, I'd probably have a decent loss. Very new to PRACTICING the Beck tasks, but I KNOW them well such as, do not let one mishap derail one. More tomorrow-
  • Welcome kindercoach
    kindercoach

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Thursday - Valentine's Day
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi. The sun was out; snow is melting down and not yet blackened. A great time to be out. Made it to a favorite brick-and-mortar book store to find a Valentine's Day card for DW; I'm set once I compose a note. She specifically doesn't want roses or chocolate so I bring her flowers periodically when they first appear in the stores and her gardens are still being winter.

Food was good for meals, CREDIT moi, but continues to be off for snacks - Ouch. I've got taxes to prepare and other stuff that I'm fighting instead of doing. So, snacking happens. Gotta go organize some healthy responses. Think I've been coasting so long I've forgotten how to fight.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Perhaps "anxiety burns calories" - if one is smart enough to work the strategies and avoid snacking like I've been doing.

Beverlyjoy"Twists and turns" sounds par for the course. Can't wait to read your children's books when published.

Tazzy - Yay for dogs that will choose to sleep through a sneezing attack - a minor gift of privacy, LOL. Neat to plan an apple.

nationalparker – Seems like a golden opportunity for a motivated nine week program. My recommendation is to concentrate on working your eating plan and your exercise plan and let your body choose the weight and shape it wants to be for your event. We're here to cheer you on. Kudos for using John Denver as an exercise coach. [We have ZERO places to recycle Styrofoam around here. NONE. Wish there were.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Do I ever know this one, "There is definitely something in me that wants to finish what's on my plate." Kudos for stopping before the strawberries.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Oh Yes, "No choice is the freedom of not having to choose" - it does feel good when the decisions are behind us. Good luck at your MUM'S LUNCH. I can imagine being bored already with the too-much-coverage. Even without being able to read Italian, I was a fan of the Corriere della Sera because I could figure out generally what was going on. We were overwhelmed here with election coverage before November, so you have my sympathy.

kindercoach – Congrats on those 66 pounds gone forever using a stellar set of plans. Yep, posting is the way to 'sign up,' and Yep, we'll be your Diet Coaches/Buddies and ask that you play that role for us.

This business of losing the same five pounds over and over is amazingly common. You've made a smart move by seeking accountability. The sugar craving cycle is a big deal to break. Sometimes a period of absolutely NO sugar can help reset the brain that life can proceed without the sugar-drug. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 5
    You Comfort Yourself With Food

The Beck Diet Solution
    Instead of trying to comfort yourself with food, the Beck Diet Solution teaches you to calm down in other ways: by using distraction and relaxation techniques, by countering your sabotaging thoughts, and by solving the problems that were associated with your negative emotions in the first place.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
  • Happy Valentine's Day to all! DH woke up before my alarm went off, whispering Happy Valentine's Day ... nice wake-up! I'd forgotten, even though we celebrated V-Eve last night, each wanting the other to open the gift we bought. I gave him a new lighter frame backpack for overnighting (how romantic, I know) and he got me a pair of new Keen hikers. I'm not 100% on the fit yet, but we'll see. I LOVED them in the store in another color scheme and wonder if that's coloring my judgment.

Treadmill again last night, and got in three miles. Glad I did as DH didn't get home until after 8, so no trail walk was in the plans after dinner and his shower.

Today is the volunteering gig at the school and then Subway - on our trip I saw someone getting a new chopped salad that they were offering, which looked miles better than their regular one, so I'm going to see if mine has that option. Goal - no chips! I can do that for sure today. I want extra calories at the ready tonight.

BillBlueEyes - That is a great mental approach - do what I can for the nine weeks and where I land is where I am. At least if I do my all-out best, then I can ask no more. Reread the chapters on overeating and definition of full last night. Good review. On "Plateau" but I am skipping that until I get to one.

BethFromDayton - I DO need to get over the anxiety of this event. I hate that I work in the athletics field and am surrounded by VERY fit people and struggle with this. It wears on my mind and makes me feel inferior. I DO feel they're judging me in this part of my life only. I don't feel that way at a beach, a pool, out to dinner, whatever. I wonder why I have this block. Thanks for the eye-opener. I'm going to mentally work on this. MAJOR credits for not snagging even the healthy stuff when you were prepping meals.

Tazzy - The weekend is only two more days away - hang on! Hope you're able to fully relax and enjoy the pups! And get extra sleep!

BeverlyJoy - Yay on moving that ticker down!! You're right around the corner from your halfway mark and that is just amazing! What an accomplishment!

Kindercoach - Kudos for recognizing that the candies weren't on your plan and stopping! I struggle with keeping one holiday's treat at one treat on one day! I tend to think of holidays as a week-long celebration and while that's fun for happy times, it's not fun for me on the scale.
  • Hi Coaches!

Tired this morning and chose not to weigh before my morning coffee(s). Committing here to accomplish that task when I undress to shower.
    BBE-you could have written my post for yesterday...food good but snacks off. I haven't forgotten not to fight....many times I just choose not to.

Welcome! kindercoach! I find that the daily accountability is such a strategy for success. I'm glad you've joined us.

nationalparker, I really liked BBE's suggestion...take these nine weeks as an opportunity to work hard and let your body decide (then you accept) where you are then. In my experience, the perception is an inside job and as you persist day by day week by week you will find you are gaining a new sense of security. I find now, that I am proud of who I am and why I am regardless of where I am. I look forward to sharing your ongoing steps of progress.

everyone else. I slept in and have less than an hour now before I hit the road.
  • Hi Coaches,
    I'm checking in quickly. I'm working a half day today then off to Phoenix. The weather reports predict temps in the lower 70's. I'm so looking forward to seeing my SIL and her husband.
    I'm bouncing around in the upper 190's this week. I have been sticking to the plan with the exception of my nightly indulgence of 1 oz of dry roasted peanuts.
    Yesterday afternoon I had a tedious, contentious staff meeting. It was the worst time I've had in 4 weeks wanting to eat fast food (Dtr requested Scholtsky's-love their sandwiches). I had a few bites of her sandwich and stopped with the off plan eating. I have another meeting with the same people in 45 min. I may just lay under the table and whimper quietly.

I don't have time for personals before I go. Thank you all for being here.
    JuliaIsLeavingOnAJetPlane (for you NationalParker)
  • Hi Folks/coaches/friends.. I am just stopping by for now. This Beck Diet Solution link came through my Facebook today. Thought maybe someone might want to read it. It's about dealing with Valentine's Day Candy.

http://beckdietsolution.wordpress.co...candy-success/

I'll be back later.
  • Beverlyjoy, thanks for sharing that! I especially like this one:
    Just because everyone else is eating it doesn’t mean I can. My body doesn’t know or care what they’re eating. It only knows what I eat.

I think it needs to go on one of my Response Cards.

Today, I have already stood firm against: brownies, red velvet cake, Esther Price candies, heart candies, chocolate heart candies, donuts, tootsie pops, and chocolate covered cherries. (And it's not even 1:00 yet!)

I am really glad I haven't eaten of these. I am really glad that I am staying on plan. I did have to move away from the brownies and red velvet cake when people started eating it (I could smell it), but I moved away and I didn't have any and I am glad.

Prior to this, I might have had one of everything--and maybe skipped lunch because I'd eaten so much sugary stuff.

Today, I had my planned lunch (frozen meal and strawberries) and enjoyed the juicy sweet strawberry flavor across my tongue. I would not have been happier if I'd eaten sweets--and I'm not spending any time regretting it (but I'm giving myself lots of credit) (and it's getting easier to resist, for which I'm also giving myself credit). There were be other opportunities for me to have any of those things when I've planned for them. For now, I'll stay glad I stood firm and am keeping on track.
  • Wow! Compared to bethFromDayton, I've had no challenges today! We had a nice lunch out at a favorite restaurant--and we both chose salads. Otherwise, the day is going to have it's normal allotment and types of foods.

Our special Valentine's day activity was shopping for luggage for our upcoming (late May) trip to France, including 4 days in Paris. That felt quite romantic!

Exercise: +30 550/1300 minutes for February

Welcome, kindercoach!

Bootedkitty: love this thought: No choice is the freedom of not having to choose

Beverlyjoy: so excited that you're putting your stories down on paper! Do you have a community college there that offers non-credit classes? I've started taking one and there are lots of folks just starting out and trying to get a handle on the complexities of writing and publishing.
  • Good Afternoon, Coaches. Well, I am home from middle school and primary school and finally semi safe from the INSANE amount of sweets around. Semi-safe because DS still has a bag from his class. Oh Well. I would I would not take his money. i would not take his clothes. Why would I take his candy?

Mostly successful with treats - more than planned but I followed through with yoghurt before eating, Ginger tea, tart cherry juice etc... Tonight I will have half of a lettuce and bacon sandwhich and then close up the kitchen. i have a four day weekend which is really nice.

DH surprised me with earrings and a card placed in the car seat which I found this morning.

BBE and nationalparker: My "official stew includes beef chunks ( I rarely cook beef) covered in flour, not in a crockpot and no Lipton Onion Mix i.e. traditional. It was tasty and we had enough leftvoer to freeze for a second meal.

Lexxiss: The greek yoghurt before each meal allegedly boosts the body's belly fat burning capability. (Research but who knows what that means. ) I find that I am not hungry but it requires 33 percent of the calories I am allowed so I am thinking of just doing it twice a day.

Wave to everyone else.