Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 9

You're on Page 5 of 33
Go to
  • Quote: WI this morning. After last week's zero, I had a 3.4# loss this week. I'll take that. Puts me into the 170s. I have not been there for over 25 years. This program is amazing. It's so nice to feel "normal" and not feel like everyone is staring at this fat woman, sneering. The only draw back is my face is now wrinkling. I'm using special firming creams, but I guess I have to expect that at almost 64 years old.

Have a great OP Sunday, all.

Molly
    Wow - that's great, Molly! You're gonna have to post a new photo soon!
  • Quote:
    Today I went to a consignment clothing store and was really surprised at how nice the cloths were and today all pants were 1/2 off so I got a nice pair of Levi's size 10,yea!, and a tee shirt, I'm definately going back in about 10/15 more lbs, in the mean time this week I'm concentrating on getting rid of some cloths that are too big.
    Congrats on the size 10 Levis! Yes, you can find some really good stuff in consignments stores. It pays to check frequently. A friend of mine is very budget conscious and finds a LOT of good stuff there. I was amazed at the winter coat I found. So far I haven't needed a lot of clothing, as I've had my own smaller sizes to fit back into and a couple of family members gave me a bunch of stuff too. But I'm now in my smallest sizes, so if I lose much more I'll be needing to move into smaller sizes too. Like you, I need to do a clean-out of the closet and donate the stuff I've outgrown.

Quote: ..for your comments. I have had a bad sinus infection starting before I went on the plan. Ended up on antibiotics the first week and am just now off them and feeling fit and fine again. Everyone on another thread says that kind of thing slows one's start. So glad I was able to weather it though, and stay OP in spite of what I call dismal mini-losses for my first two weigh-ins!! (2.2 lbs and 2.7 lbs) I guess if those mini-losses are consistent though, I might be able to join all of you in doing the new clothes dance this summer!!

Love this thread...it's just what I need....
    I'm 100% I wouldn't have made it to my original goal, and found the focus to then continue on to a lowered one, without the support and encouragement here. It makes a phenomenal difference. Sorry you had such a 'sick start' to IP, but you stuck it out and things (all around) will get better now. For sure you'll be doing the 'happy new clothes dance' come spring and summer.

Quote: Some folks have been talking about wearing clothes that are too young. It brought back a memory of when I was a kid in the late 60s. The mother-of-teenagers who lived across the street wore miniskirts and go-go boots, and her hair was dyed blond and teased up high on the top and long to her waist in the back. To a judgmental 10 year old, I thought she looked ridiculous. She looked like a Dean Martin Golddigger - anyone remember that show? I think now, if I looked as good as a Dean Martin Golddigger, I would wear miniskirts and go-go boots, too, and I'm a heck of a lot older than she was at the time. ... Well, maybe I would wear leggings under the miniskirts nowadays!
    LOL - I think I had a similiar neighbor! Certainly similiar 'look'. I don't know about more extreme styles because I'm pretty conservative and stick to fairly classic clothing... but I definitely find myself much more attracted to slimmer fitting clothes, and more colour now that I'm slimmer. I love having a waist again, even if I still could stand to whittle it down more. I need to buy some belts to wear with my jeans and slacks, as I spent so many years wearing only overblouses, etc., that I don't own a single one. And shopping isn't an unpleasant chore anymore - it's fun to try different styles and see how they look now.

Quote: WI this morning. After last week's zero, I had a 3.4# loss this week. I'll take that. Puts me into the 170s. I have not been there for over 25 years. This program is amazing. It's so nice to feel "normal" and not feel like everyone is staring at this fat woman, sneering. The only draw back is my face is now wrinkling. I'm using special firming creams, but I guess I have to expect that at almost 64 years old.

Molly
    That's fantastic Molly! Way to Go! I hear you on the wrinkling of the face becoming more noticeable too ... I've noticed it too. I guess we have to expect at least a few wrinkles when we hit our 60s. I'm not far behind you... 62 next month. When I look back to a year ago, and know that I hadn't even contemplated this dieting journey back then, I'm so grateful that I did find IP and 3FatChicks and stick to the program. it amazes me how much happier and healthier I am now.

Quote: Someone called the whoosh fairy a tart. I started calling her elusiveness "sweetart". And the scale looks like it might have finally moved below 200.
    Officially WI tomorrow but my wii fit weighs heavier than my clinic and yesterday wii fit said under 199.
    That 3.4 is a nice whoosh for you. Congrats on entering the new decade of weight. The program really IS amazing, isn't it?
    That's great Lisa - welcome to the 100s. I like that "sweetart" moniker. I've always said that you can attract more flies with sugar than salt, and apparently that includes the whoosh fairy.

BTW... ever since you started that thread about 'Do You Like Pina Coladas?' I can't get that song out of my head!

------------------------
    Happy Sunday everyone. Nothing new to report here, just wanted to check in. Hope everyone enjoys their day.
  • Quote: Way to go mazy on your smaller pants! And we will all be waiting and praying that your lump is nothing to worry about, and good job on not turning to food for comfort, sounds so familiar.

65x65 when I started back on July 27 I remember whining to DH this is going to take long I have so much to loose, well 62 lbs later and with all the help here from the 50's ladies, and support it has really gone quite fast so just take one day at a time and we will all get there, one lb at a time, or so! You can do it!

Today I went to a consignment clothing store and was really surprised at how nice the cloths were and today all pants were 1/2 off so I got a nice pair of Levi's size 10,yea!, and a tee shirt, I'm definately going back in about 10/15 more lbs, in the mean time this week I'm concentrating on getting rid of some cloths that are too big.

Hope everyone has had a nice Saturday and wishing you all a great Sunday! Goodnight all! Teena
    Great job on the consignment finds! I have yet to go - but you and others who have found such treasures at low prices are definately inspiring me.

You are just rocking this program Teena. It is amazing how fast time goes bye and how all those losses add together. Small and large - going in the right direction or just not going up.... they combine (oh my gosh Wonder Twin Powers Activate! came to mind LOL - form of...... I smaller pant size!)

Quote: Happy weekend everyone! I was MIA yesterday because we only have one computer at home and my DH goes to kidney dialysis 3 times a week (he is 58 and I am 51) and he can take it with him. Those days tend to be long and trying . We also have an 11 yr daughter so sometimes heated "chats" about who goes on the computer first!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!! :
    Ahhh I remember my son's and my chats around that age. :-) I don't know if daughters or sons are easier - but I get it for sure. I was hard to get my son to open up and talk to me, still is at 22 y/o. Sorry about you DH having the 3x a week dialysis too - but it's nice he can play computer games, surf the web, or do email while he's there. You need a computer so you can do instant messaging with him :-) You don't need any high speed or fancy stuff for that... then again, I guess that's why they made smart cell phones :-)

Quote: Some folks have been talking about wearing clothes that are too young. It brought back a memory of when I was a kid in the late 60s. The mother-of-teenagers who lived across the street wore miniskirts and go-go boots, and her hair was dyed blond and teased up high on the top and long to her waist in the back. To a judgmental 10 year old, I thought she looked ridiculous. She looked like a Dean Martin Golddigger - anyone remember that show? I think now, if I looked as good as a Dean Martin Golddigger, I would wear miniskirts and go-go boots, too, and I'm a heck of a lot older than she was at the time. ... Well, maybe I would wear leggings under the miniskirts nowadays!
    Harper Valley PTA was the show. I agree! Based on this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbCJSVTfess
  • NinjaNurse - lol saw this and thought about you.... not the same kind of boots but love this song anyway... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww I'll be one of your backup dancers :-)
  • Thanks to all for the positive thoughts and prayers I am still very positive that all will be fine. Never thought that I would be so anxious for Tuesday to arrive! (appt with the surgeon)
    NINJANURSE I actually have a Country Western store within walking distance from my house! I have decided that my favorite Country boots will be my gift to ME when I reach Onederland!!! They will be perfect for the Bayou Country Superfest on Memorial Day weekend!!! Might even have to get a nice short, but not hoochie mama short, skirt to go with them!
  • Quote:
    Harper Valley PTA was the show. I agree! Based on this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbCJSVTfess
    I remember 'Happy Valley PTA' too - both the song by Jeannie C. Riley and the TV show, but I'm pretty sure Fishette is recalling a group of young beautiful ladies called 'The Golddiggers' who hosted the summer season of The Dean Martin Show from 1968-1970. I didn't realize that it was quite as popular as it apparently was, or that the group disbanded when Dean Martin decided to take a new direction, away from TV and to a new Las Vegas act. The GoldDiggers left television too, to become part of Dean's Las Vegas act.

http://www.originalgolddiggers.com/d...n_summer.shtml
  • Quote: Some folks have been talking about wearing clothes that are too young. It brought back a memory of when I was a kid in the late 60s. The mother-of-teenagers who lived across the street wore miniskirts and go-go boots, and her hair was dyed blond and teased up high on the top and long to her waist in the back. To a judgmental 10 year old, I thought she looked ridiculous. She looked like a Dean Martin Golddigger - anyone remember that show? I think now, if I looked as good as a Dean Martin Golddigger, I would wear miniskirts and go-go boots, too, and I'm a heck of a lot older than she was at the time. ... Well, maybe I would wear leggings under the miniskirts nowadays!
    Yes I remember always trying to act and look like the big girls, with short skirts and halter tops and big hair, but of course my parents did not allow such things but I would always push the envelope, ha!

Quote: WI this morning. After last week's zero, I had a 3.4# loss this week. I'll take that. Puts me into the 170s. I have not been there for over 25 years. This program is amazing. It's so nice to feel "normal" and not feel like everyone is staring at this fat woman, sneering. The only draw back is my face is now wrinkling. I'm using special firming creams, but I guess I have to expect that at almost 64 years old.

Molly
    Yea Molly super loss, and now the 170's, seems like only yesterday we were congratulating each other for hitting onederland, we rock!!

Quote: Someone called the whoosh fairy a tart. I started calling her elusiveness "sweetart". And the scale looks like it might have finally moved below 200.
    Officially WI tomorrow but my wii fit weighs heavier than my clinic and yesterday wii fit said under 199.
    That 3.4 is a nice whoosh for you. Congrats on entering the new decade of weight. The program really IS amazing, isn't it?
    Yea Lisa can't wait to here you say onederland.

Quote: Great job on the consignment finds! I have yet to go - but you and others who have found such treasures at low prices are definately inspiring me.

You are just rocking this program Teena. It is amazing how fast time goes bye and how all those losses add together. Small and large - going in the right direction or just not going up.... they combine (oh my gosh Wonder Twin Powers Activate! came to mind LOL - form of...... I smaller pant size!)

Ahhh I remember my son's and my chats around that age. :-) I don't know if daughters or sons are easier - but I get it for sure. I was hard to get my son to open up and talk to me, still is at 22 y/o. Sorry about you DH having the 3x a week dialysis too - but it's nice he can play computer games, surf the web, or do email while he's there. You need a computer so you can do instant messaging with him :-) You don't need any high speed or fancy stuff for that... then again, I guess that's why they made smart cell phones :-)

Halfagain, now I can't quit singing those songs, my sons about to throw something at me! Thanks for always being there for support, your the best!
  • You are both right! I was thinking of the Dean Martin dancers
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBtWgP66bY
    But my neighbor was dressed like the Harper Vally PTA song described!

On another note, my friend at church was gushing and congratulating me on my weight loss today after church. It was bittersweet, because she knew all about IP 5 months ago, but when I tried to get her to do it with me so we could support each other, she said her social life with eating and winery hopping was too important to her and she didn't want to not have any fun for 9 months (she had 90 pounds to loose). She was going to do weight watchers again - no, really do it this time. That conversation was in late August. Now I'm at my goal weight and she is either the same or even heavier. I didn't say anything except thankyou, but I could tell she was upset with herself. She could have been over half way to goal by now. I feel for her, but can only try to be encouraging. Again she said she was starting weight watchers at work this week. What can I say? The proof is in front of her. That glass of wine must be very important.
  • Quote: WI this morning. After last week's zero, I had a 3.4# loss this week. I'll take that. Puts me into the 170s. I have not been there for over 25 years. This program is amazing. It's so nice to feel "normal" and not feel like everyone is staring at this fat woman, sneering. The only draw back is my face is now wrinkling. I'm using special firming creams, but I guess I have to expect that at almost 64 years old.

Molly
    WTG Molly - I knew you were due for a great WI!!! So happy for you gf
    Are we celebrating another reaching Onderland this week??? Lisa, that is AWESOME!!! Congratulations !!

Quote: Today I went to a consignment clothing store and was really surprised at how nice the cloths were and today all pants were 1/2 off so I got a nice pair of Levi's size 10,yea!, and a tee shirt, I'm definately going back in about 10/15 more lbs, in the mean time this week I'm concentrating on getting rid of some cloths that are too big.

Hope everyone has had a nice Saturday and wishing you all a great Sunday! Goodnight all! Teena
    Another big step in the right direction Teena - getting rid of the too-big clothes. Congrats on the size 10s!

Quote: I just wanted to mention something I found. I know Nashua is great, but there is another site I read about called MY DIET SHOPZ and they have a lot of the same products and maybe a tiny bit cheaper in some areas. That might help as a back- up!
    Thanks for telling us about this site. I checked it out for a minute, and the Proti-Diet prices are def lower. Haven't taken the time to see which other brands they have yet.

Quote: Thanks to all for the positive thoughts and prayers I am still very positive that all will be fine. Never thought that I would be so anxious for Tuesday to arrive! (appt with the surgeon)
    NINJANURSE I actually have a Country Western store within walking distance from my house! I have decided that my favorite Country boots will be my gift to ME when I reach Onederland!!! They will be perfect for the Bayou Country Superfest on Memorial Day weekend!!! Might even have to get a nice short, but not hoochie mama short, skirt to go with them!
    LOL! Laughing at the hoochie mama short skirt comment!!!!

Quote: On another note, my friend at church was gushing and congratulating me on my weight loss today after church. It was bittersweet, because she knew all about IP 5 months ago, but when I tried to get her to do it with me so we could support each other, she said her social life with eating and winery hopping was too important to her and she didn't want to not have any fun for 9 months (she had 90 pounds to loose). She was going to do weight watchers again - no, really do it this time. That conversation was in late August. Now I'm at my goal weight and she is either the same or even heavier. I didn't say anything except thankyou, but I could tell she was upset with herself. She could have been over half way to goal by now. I feel for her, but can only try to be encouraging. Again she said she was starting weight watchers at work this week. What can I say? The proof is in front of her. That glass of wine must be very important.
    So sad for her...hopefully she will soon realize that her health is so much more important than the kind of socializing she currently prefers...
  • Quote: On another note, my friend at church was gushing and congratulating me on my weight loss today after church. It was bittersweet, because she knew all about IP 5 months ago, but when I tried to get her to do it with me so we could support each other, she said her social life with eating and winery hopping was too important to her and she didn't want to not have any fun for 9 months (she had 90 pounds to loose). She was going to do weight watchers again - no, really do it this time. That conversation was in late August. Now I'm at my goal weight and she is either the same or even heavier. I didn't say anything except thankyou, but I could tell she was upset with herself. She could have been over half way to goal by now. I feel for her, but can only try to be encouraging. Again she said she was starting weight watchers at work this week. What can I say? The proof is in front of her. That glass of wine must be very important.
    My friend who lost 50+ lbs on IP told me about it last year Nov (2011). Check out my 3fc join date.
    The info ruminated in my head for 7 months before I made a decision to start IP and then didn't start for ANOTHER month. (I used EVERY excuse NOT to do it - mostly about the overly processed foods in IP, which is still a concern of mine, but I view it as short-term).
    I'd certainly be at goal had I started when I learned about it.
    But, it takes what it takes.
    I wasn't ready.
    I had a friend in overeaters anonymous who used to say this: This program isn't for people who NEED it, it is for people who WANT it.
    I believe the same is true for IP.
    You have to want it
    Like we do!
  • Good point, Lisa.

Molly, Evepet, Teena, you are looking mighty fine!
  • Mornin', everyone! Glad to see everyone is doing well! Like some of you, I'm starting to notice more wrinkles, especially around my mouth and neck. Anyone have any night creams they particularly love? I started looking at reviews for various products a couple of days ago, trying to decide what to buy, but thought some of you might have a fave.

I had been a little concerned about my next trip south to go diving since my BIL/SIL were coming with us, and my BIL in particular *loves* to eat and drink. Well, I needn't have worried too much about sticking to the program since when I talked to him the other day he said that he, too, was on a medically supervised high protein diet plan! He's lost 40 pounds so far and still has a ways to go. Apparently he was diagnosed with some other health related issues so his doctor suggested he go on the diet and lose weight. I'm not sure exactly what it's called (Medi-something) but he gets B vitamin shots and takes an appetite suppressant, but it doesn't sound like he eats pre-packaged meals. He also said he cheats, but I guess he sticks to it for the most part since he's lost a chunk of weight in a couple of months. Anyway, that should make the meal planning a little bit easier!

Hope y'all have a great day!
  • Had have 2 friends that were on a program like your BILs, Bubbleblower. They wanted to loose weight but they wanted to eat foods you could buy at a grocers and they didn't care how long it took. One was on a 1000 calorie a day diet and the other on 1200 calorie per day (she was 3-4 inches taller). They lost about 5 to 7 pounds a month and look great. They took the B12 shots once a week. I bet you and BIL will be able to build a new relationship over your experiences.
  • Good Monday Morning! Temps are in the upper 20's, but we got nearly 6" of new snow mixed with freezing rain since yesterday. Almost didn't make it out of my driveway this morning; but I'm at work for the duration today. Supposed to contine getting rain/sleet through tomorrow, so may decide to stay home tomorrow. I can take some things home with me to work on.

Going to the gym again tonight. Am mostly working on upper body with the weight machines, but do some moves with the medicine ball the trainer showed me to work on my core. And spend about 10 minutes on the elliptical first, though the doc probably wouldn't approve (due to my knee). Will go see him again later this week to find out what the MRI showed, and how to proceed from here.

Good news...am working hard to get my choc intake down. Wondering for those of us that are 'true' chocoholics, if we should completely stop eating/drinking everything chocolate...including the IP/alternative choc drinks, puddings & bars. Seems to me that having them while successfully losing weight sort of gives us a false sense of 'safety' with it, then when we hit maintenance we can't have it at all because when we do, the cravings start up with a vengeance! Anyone else have thoughts about this? (I'll post this on the Maintainers thread too.) Or maybe I'm just weak in this area and need to toughen up. IDK. Choc seems to be the one thing I've really struggled with in maintenance.

Have a great Monday all!
  • Quote: Halfagain, now I can't quit singing those songs, my sons about to throw something at me! Thanks for always being there for support, your the best!
    Me too.... especially the 'Do You Like Pina Colada' song that Lisa posted about a few days ago. Now I can't get that song out of my head.

Quote: You are both right! I was thinking of the Dean Martin dancers
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBtWgP66bY
    But my neighbor was dressed like the Harper Vally PTA song described!

On another note, my friend at church was gushing and congratulating me on my weight loss today after church. It was bittersweet, because she knew all about IP 5 months ago, but when I tried to get her to do it with me so we could support each other, she said her social life with eating and winery hopping was too important to her and she didn't want to not have any fun for 9 months (she had 90 pounds to loose). She was going to do weight watchers again - no, really do it this time. That conversation was in late August. Now I'm at my goal weight and she is either the same or even heavier. I didn't say anything except thankyou, but I could tell she was upset with herself. She could have been over half way to goal by now. I feel for her, but can only try to be encouraging. Again she said she was starting weight watchers at work this week. What can I say? The proof is in front of her. That glass of wine must be very important.
    Quote: My friend who lost 50+ lbs on IP told me about it last year Nov (2011). Check out my 3fc join date.
    The info ruminated in my head for 7 months before I made a decision to start IP and then didn't start for ANOTHER month. (I used EVERY excuse NOT to do it - mostly about the overly processed foods in IP, which is still a concern of mine, but I view it as short-term).
    I'd certainly be at goal had I started when I learned about it.
    But, it takes what it takes.
    I wasn't ready.
    I had a friend in overeaters anonymous who used to say this: This program isn't for people who NEED it, it is for people who WANT it.
    I believe the same is true for IP.
    You have to want it
    Like we do!
    ITA. It certainly took a combination of factors to get me to the point where I felt committed 'in my head' to another serious dieting effort. In my case it took a combination of a brother's death, terrible shopping experience, and some pending health woes to get me to that point. Until then I simply ignored it. IMO it's useless to attempt a diet unless/until the head is 150% in it.

Quote: Good point, Lisa.

Molly, Evepet, Teena, you are looking mighty fine!
    Thanks!

Quote: Mornin', everyone! Glad to see everyone is doing well! Like some of you, I'm starting to notice more wrinkles, especially around my mouth and neck. Anyone have any night creams they particularly love? I started looking at reviews for various products a couple of days ago, trying to decide what to buy, but thought some of you might have a fave.

I had been a little concerned about my next trip south to go diving since my BIL/SIL were coming with us, and my BIL in particular *loves* to eat and drink. Well, I needn't have worried too much about sticking to the program since when I talked to him the other day he said that he, too, was on a medically supervised high protein diet plan! He's lost 40 pounds so far and still has a ways to go. Apparently he was diagnosed with some other health related issues so his doctor suggested he go on the diet and lose weight. I'm not sure exactly what it's called (Medi-something) but he gets B vitamin shots and takes an appetite suppressant, but it doesn't sound like he eats pre-packaged meals. He also said he cheats, but I guess he sticks to it for the most part since he's lost a chunk of weight in a couple of months. Anyway, that should make the meal planning a little bit easier!

Hope y'all have a great day!
    Have you tried argan oil? I think it's helping more than my standard creams. I bought a bottle of 100% natural argan oil at my local health supplements store, and squeeze a drop or two in my moisturizer morning and evening. It's supposed to help with skin elasticity, etc. It was originally recommended here to be added to one of the 'elasticity encouraging' body lotions (which I do as well) but I also ended up putting some in my facial moisturizer. I've been using it about 6 months now, and do think it helps. I've almost used up that bottle, and will soon be going back for another. I don't want to be without it.

That's good news about your BIL. Hope the the health situation that precipitated the need isn't serious, but it's good to see that he's on target now to better health.

--------------------------

Good morning everyone. Woke up to a fresh deep layer of snow on the ground, and as weather is turning somewhat milder it's heading into freezing rain later today ... sounds like possible headaches for commuters. Glad I don't have to go anywhere in particular, and can just admire it from my windows.

Nothing new to report - as is 'per usual'. Just wanted to check in and wish everyone a good day.