goal weights

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I started to type out a lengthy response to a post in a different forum (waves to Melissa) and realized that rather than hijack someone's specific question, I would like to continue general discussion of the subject of figuring out a goal weight. So here I am to ask - did you pick a goal weight? If yes, how? If not, why and how do you think you will know when you are there?

One of the things I mentioned on the other thread was the weight loss calculator on the Dukan Diet site. It isn't the Oracle of Delphi or anything but I found it an interesting process to go through. In my case, the suggested target weight was 181 - a lot higher than any numbers I had been thinking about and I'm not sure I am going to accept it as my goal weight.

But I do believe the concept of what is reasonable and sustainable is an important one to think about. I've been carrying dozens and dozens of extra pounds for almost 40 years now (I'm 50). I've been through a pregnancy. I'm 50, and peri-menopausal. I'm a yo-yo dieter and have lost and gained and lost and gained 50 or more pounds several times.

Maybe I could reach 140 or some other low sounding number that is labeled as my ideal weight but how hard would I have to work to do it? And how hard would I have to work to stay there? And esp given my history of regaining, would I be setting myself up for more continuation of that cycle by trying to get to a number that may realistically be too low given the totality of my history.

In a totally different context - about deciding whether to have another child - some people I know use the test of "what if someone told you that you couldn't have another baby, how would you react?" And if the response is immediate defiance and the thought that "of course I can!" that helps define the answer. But if the response is "well, I guess I would end up being happy with the number of kids I have now" then that helps define the answer too.

For me, not having a knee-jerk "**** no!" reaction to 181 is helping me try to stay more open to where this journey ends and I am thinking I probably will be one of those people whose goal weight finds them.

Where are you on this issue and how did you get there?
  • I made a goal weight of 135, just based on what other women in my family weighed in their 20's and what I personally looked/felt like when I weighed 145 10 years ago. I'm fine with modifying my goal weight when I get closer to it - either higher or lower, as need be. I very much want to have an extremely active lifestyle (think marathon running and 2,000+ mile hikes) so I'm not all THAT worried about maintaining a weight on the low end of normal or the high end of underweight. Obviously, if I put on more muscle I might have a higher end-weight and I'm certainly fine with that.
  • My initial goal weight is 175 based on a previous milestone the last time I lost all this weight. 175 was what I weighed the day I graduated from high school. It's arbitrary but still somewhat significant. My ultimate goal weight is 158, based on my last adult low weight when I was 28, I'm 33 now so there is no real reason why I can't get there and maintain.

I think there is something to be said about setting goal weights, and does setting mini goals along he way keep one more motivated, or are certain people just "big picture" kind of people where the smaller goals don't motivate them as much as the larger goals. Both work for me, however my smaller goals are based on NSV, fitting into smaller pants, wrist bones, collar bones, tall boots over my fat Legs lol! I don't want to make this journey just about the number on the scale.
  • You just gave me a really good topic to write about for my next blog post, thanks!
  • My ideal weight is smack dab in the middle of the "normal BMI" weight range- and I'd like to have a 27% body fat percentage- smack dab in the "normal range" again. At the moment, I'm 47.3% fat. -_-
  • I also did the Dukan ideal weight calculation and it came out a bit higher than I might have expected. But for me that was a comfort, because I've always felt that I 'need' to weigh more. Can't remember the exact number...

In a sense though - I'm so far from my final goal weight, it almost doesn't matter. In my head I'd like to get just inside the 'normal' BMI range.

But one of my REAL goals is to be fit enough to referee youth rugby and to do that for a long time (I am 42) To be fast enough to do that, I need to lose a lot of weight. (I also need to learn the rules, get qualified, etc - so I have a long way to go).

I also have a goal of fitting into a US size 12 and then I will see how I feel.
  • I did the Dukan diet calculator a while ago, when I was early on in my weight loss. It put me at 141 pounds as my ideal weight.

My "goal" has changed several times throughout the course of my weight loss. I first set it as 160, because I figured that normal BMI for my height was just "so skinny" and I could never get there. As I approached 160, I realized that I definitely had more to lose so I made it 140—the highest normal BMI for my height. As I hit that number (which wound up really being 130, because my scale was ADDING 10lbs), I wasn't quite happy with my body, so I moved it lower.

I have to say I never really expected to get where I am now, not in a million years. I always thought I had a large build (when it's really obvious that I DON'T now) and that I would be too skinny at anything below 140lbs. Granted, if I were not lifting and taking group fitness classes, I assume that this weight would be hard to maintain.

I really don't know how to ever say that one is "there." For me this is never ending. If I'm not losing weight then there are lifts I could be better at, muscle to build, etc. I'm a maintainer, but I'm still working toward changing my body in some way.
  • I have not been below 200 pounds in over 30 years... so the idea of an ultimate goal weight is rather daunting, and feels like a castle in the sky: something pretty but ultimately unattainable or ephemeral.

I used to say 150 was my goal, because it's a nice round number. It's above the "normal" range, but so much healthier a number than I ever remember seeing that it feels almost do-able.

When I think about how hard it is to lose just 10 pounds when I'm this heavy, I can't imagine how hard it will be to lose "the last 10" when I'm closer to a fit size. And I seriously cannot imagine my body at my "ideal" weight of 130. I just can't wrap my head around it.

So instead of thinking of an ultimate goal number, I try to focus on the next 10-20 pounds. When I'm there, I'll worry about the rest.
  • re:
    I chose 140 as it gives me wiggle room to stay in the normal BMI range.

Quote:
    I have to say I never really expected to get where I am now, not in a million years. I always thought I had a large build (when it's really obvious that I DON'T now) and that I would be too skinny at anything below 140lbs.
    I think so many people think they have a 'large frame' when they're sitting over 200 lbs when in fact they don't. Best thing in my opinion is set your goal to where you think you can attain and then evaluate as you get closer if you want to change it.

Don't worry about the goal so much, focus on moving in the downward direction.
  • It's really helpful to read these. A couple of things that particularly stood out for me.

Quote:
    I really don't know how to ever say that one is "there." For me this is never ending. If I'm not losing weight then there are lifts I could be better at, muscle to build, etc. I'm a maintainer, but I'm still working toward changing my body in some way.
    I don't know if I will be working on changing my body in terms of intense gym workouts - I'm the single mom of an elementary school aged child and gym time is just not in the equation at this point. Physically, what I'm really working towards is being able to lead a much more active lifestyle with my son - hiking, biking, etc. and less about changing my body. But then I see the results others have had, and maybe some of that will be on the table eventually too, when I can leave him unsupervised to go work out.

But yes, goal =/= done. My plan has 4 phases, and getting to your final weight is only then end of phase 2, so definitely a lot more work to go after that.

Quote:
    So instead of thinking of an ultimate goal number, I try to focus on the next 10-20 pounds. When I'm there, I'll worry about the rest.
    This is how I plan to look at it when I get back down to 198. After all, I was there and I a) know I can do it, and b) know that I had more to lose.

Somewhere below there is the number/body/clothing size that I am happy and thrilled to achieve or that I get to and realize that the amount of energy to go below that would be counterproductive to maintaining it. And I think I will be figuring that out 5 or 10 lbs at a time.

I also have some vague idea of perhaps doing a resting point where I maintain for a significant time, adjust to that, and then at some later time, re-engage to take off another bit. I'm not sure how realistic that it, I may find maintainence is challenging enough. And in terms of buying clothing, I would not want to invest in a whole new wardrobe at size X if my ultimate goal is X-1 or 2. But I keep reminding myself that none of this is set in stone and I can adjust and adapt as I need to.
  • Thanks I tried the dukan diet calculator it told
    Me my current weight of 128 was where I should be. I think it was kinda neat because it took other things into consideration, versus just your weight and height. I do believe I have a few more lbs to lose, but who knows maybe maintaining a lower weight will prove to be too challenging. I chose my goal based on where I felt comfortable last time I lost weight, I do see my old body a bit but still think I wi have to lose more than last time.

Now when u wrote the baby thing, I thought that's fine I don't want anymore. That might be because my kids r each 6 years appart. They r 15,9 and 3. I guess maybe in another couple of years I'll change my mind. Nah maybe not or I will never be done raising kids. Not to say that u r ever really done once your a mother, but u know what I mean, I assume.
  • My goal is 120 pounds based on doctor recomendation. I need to have a definitive goal to shoot for. I only aim for 10 pounds at a time though.
  • OOoh! Interesting. I did the Dukan Diet calculator and it told me 157. It also expressed, "This is above the weight that you wanted, but it is a good weight, a weight that you can easily achieve and maintain. Have confidence in me about this. "

And I totally agree with this. Part of me wants to get to 135-140 to see how it feels, but in "real life with someday kids"...I think I will maintain at around 155.

Interesting! Great post, April!
  • Very interesting question! I've been struggling with my weight for what seems like forever and I've always wanted to get down to 160. I would say back to, but I can't even remember the last time I was that size - maybe freshman year in high school? My little sister is 5'5" and works out like a beast and fluctuates between 140 and 145 pounds, and I'm a full 2+ inches taller (and fuller-figured, I think).

Technically, 160 pounds is the very upper limits for someone my height (between 5'7.5" and 5'8"), but I think I'd look funny if I got too thin. I also agree with the other posters, I am more than happy to change my goal once I get closer and can really evaluate how I feel, my energy levels, etc.

Good luck!
  • This is an interesting thread. I am looking forward to my next mini-goal because it will be WELL more than 1/2 to my ultimate goal. Whatever that is. Normal BMI? That seems - virtually impossible, right now. I don't remember my past weight very well, but I know, hmm. That I was 140 lbs in sixth grade.

So when I reach my current goal I'm going to change my new goal to Onederland and if(?) I get there I will change it again and at that point play it by ear. See how I'm losing and how I feel.

I DO like that there's a diet site that is willing to break with the standard BMI thing by focusing on a sustainable goal weight rather than "you have to reach 'healthy' BMI." Because I would definitely rather reach 199 or 180 or 160 and maintain it than go beneath that through extreme measures and bounce back up. Though if I CAN reach a healthy BMI and maintain, well, I would prefer that.