Sugar in milk?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • How did I never know this before? My coach says I can put a splash of milk in my tea in the morning but i was shocked to see that it has 14 g. Of sugar....could this keep me out of Ketosis..ive just gotten used to no sugar( or so I thought) in my tea..but no milk ??? Do you all use milk ?
  • Milk, even skim milk, contains lactose (milk sugar). On phase 1 you are allowed 1 oz of skim milk with your morning tea/coffee. That's all! I know there are several people who add a little of the RTD vanilla drink to their coffee in lieu of milk.
  • Quote: How did I never know this before? My coach says I can put a splash of milk in my tea in the morning but i was shocked to see that it has 14 g. Of sugar....could this keep me out of Ketosis..ive just gotten used to no sugar( or so I thought) in my tea..but no milk ??? Do you all use milk ?
    Yes, milk contains natural sugar (12-14 grams per 8 oz.)

However, if you look at your Phase 1 sheet, you are allowed 1 oz. per day. That is equal to 2 tablespoons in that helps.

Some people, and/or coaches, misinterpret (or downright decide) that they can substitute 1 oz. of cheese or some other form of dairy for the milk allowance but if you're following IP 100% that is not the case.

Long story short...1 oz. of skim milk is allowed per day.
  • Quote: How did I never know this before? My coach says I can put a splash of milk in my tea in the morning but i was shocked to see that it has 14 g. Of sugar....could this keep me out of Ketosis..ive just gotten used to no sugar( or so I thought) in my tea..but no milk ??? Do you all use milk ?
    This is why I don't understand why a small amount of sugar free creamer (with sucralose) is not allowed. I know I've read about the chemistry of the diet as well as the calories, etc., but I don't see how this would mess with the chemistry... and I don't go to a clinic so can't ask.
  • Quote: This is why I don't understand why a small amount of sugar free creamer (with sucralose) is not allowed. I know I've read about the chemistry of the diet as well as the calories, etc., but I don't see how this would mess with the chemistry... and I don't go to a clinic so can't ask.
    Because there's a big difference between sugar free creamer and fat free milk. Sugar free creamers still contain plenty of fats, from really bad oil products. If it isn't mentioned on your sheet as an "approved" food it has to be 0 carbs, 0 sugars AND 0 fats. The problem with so many so-called "diet friendly" manufactured foods is that they either replace fat with sugar, or sugar with fat. Neither is ok on Phase 1.
  • Quote: Because there's a big difference between sugar free creamer and fat free milk. Sugar free creamers still contain plenty of fats, from really bad oil products. If it isn't mentioned on your sheet as an "approved" food it has to be 0 carbs, 0 sugars AND 0 fats. The problem with so many so-called "diet friendly" manufactured foods is that they either replace fat with sugar, or sugar with fat. Neither is ok on Phase 1.
    Thanks Scorbett! I knew if there was a reason, you'd know about it. I don't remember it being very high in fat or chemical filled either, but I'll look at the ingredients in the bottle I have left at home and do some research on them.
  • Im working so hard to stay 100 percent so the sugar in the milk is freaking me out..
  • Quote: Im working so hard to stay 100 percent so the sugar in the milk is freaking me out..
    It's listed on your sheet, so it's allowed!

1 oz. of skim milk per day!
  • If the milk freaks you out try a RTD, that's what I started doing a few weeks ago. I add some to my morning coffee, it cools it down for me and tastes really good.
  • Quote: Thanks Scorbett! I knew if there was a reason, you'd know about it. I don't remember it being very high in fat or chemical filled either, but I'll look at the ingredients in the bottle I have left at home and do some research on them.
    Here's a link to the nutritional info on CoffeeMate french vanilla sugar free creamer (not sure what brand/type you had in mind):
    http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFa...mer-6-ea/71818

In 30 calories per Tbsp, 25 calories of that is fat. The main ingredients to "fake" coffee creamers are water, sugar and oil, even the sugar free ones which use corn syrup solids. So you're not actually putting cream in your coffee, you're putting flavored oil in it.
  • Quote: Here's a link to the nutritional info on CoffeeMate french vanilla sugar free creamer (not sure what brand/type you had in mind):
    http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFa...mer-6-ea/71818

In 30 calories per Tbsp, 25 calories of that is fat. The main ingredients to "fake" coffee creamers are water, sugar and oil, even the sugar free ones which use corn syrup solids. So you're not actually putting cream in your coffee, you're putting flavored oil in it.
    Thanks for doing the research for me!
  • Just an FYI - I used fat free 1/2 and 1/2 when I started IP. My coach had me throw that away and substituted light cream. No sugars, yes more fat but not that much and I use way less. Plus it tastes way better than anything I used before!
  • Quote: Im working so hard to stay 100 percent so the sugar in the milk is freaking me out..
    Don't let it freak you out. The milk is fine. Ive been using it since day 1 on this program. You are getting sugar from some of the other foods you eat as well. IP is not a sugar free eating plan (I hate the word diet) AS long as you are following protocol you are fine
    no more freaking out!
    Stress increases the hormone cortisol, which interferes with weight loss.
    Stay calm.
  • Ok. So now Im freaking out that im freaking out...just kidding..thanks everyone..