The 2013 Palace: Nurturing our royal selves

You're on Page 6 of 16
Go to
  • JUST TO ANNOUNCE, THERE IS SNOW IN MY YARD!!! This has not occurred in my life for approximately 18 years! My dog has never seen snow. Now, mind you, this would hardly be classified as snow in the midwest from whence I came long long ago, but it nevertheless is technically snow, sort of soft, warm and clumpy and in strange little patches on the yard. It'll be gone soon but perhaps it is a portent of something great that is about to happen, like I'm going to lose three pounds this weekend. Nah, probably not!

Arabella, I had an eating evening somewhat similar to how you describe your day yesterday lol. Not sure why. Lol, I don't have a job or any reason to be tired particularly. I was stressed over some negative interactions in my business life, though, and reacted as if it was work stress and just ate too much.

Interesting that you also find potatoes helpful as a substitute for wheat based foods. I am so enjoying eating white potatoes again, since I had banned them in my head for so long, due really to the influence of other people and popular diet science and what not. My body finds the white potatoes a happier choice than wheat.

I remain happily wheat free backed also by the knowledge that if I do at some point want bread, pizza crust or cake, there ARE wheat free products available, but honestly all that seems remote right now and I am making better food choices for the most part.

Did eat candy today and too high.

FITBIT HAS INFORMED ME THAT I HAVE WALKED 500 MILES AND I RECEIVED A BADGE! Woot! So I've done 500 miles since I got the device, which was early November.

I'm back up to an official 10,000 steps, having moved my daily goal back to that. I am still remembering that there is no law that says I have to make that goal at times, but it is nice to have the goal.

Onward, all. Greetings to all royals, whether near or far.
  • Day 2, three stars yesterday (missing yoga and meditation). You would think, no matter what, I could at least lie down in savasana for 10 minutes but don't seem to be able to get there.

Amarantha, I think sometimes there's something in the alignment of the planets that influences these things. After going into auto-eating mode on Tuesday, yesterday was problem-free, not even any struggles.

SNOW! Enjoy the novelty. Must be said, the thrill's wearing thin here. We've had rain/freezing rain/ice pellets and snow off and on since last Friday. Ick.

Onward, in any case.
  • Woot, I think you are right about that alignment of planets, Wood Nymph! Congrats on the problem free day and I intend to have one today.

Had my sugar free, wheat free cherry cobbler for breakfast & am off to a meeting later this morning. The "cobbler" is a recipe I have made for a long time. It is just layered almond meal flour patted with water into a microwave bowl with organic frozen cherries (unsweetened). I used to add a bit of dry oats but don't anymore. I microwave it very carefully until it sort of resembles a cobbler or if taken out of the bowl, a giant cookie. It is very easy to overcook, though.

Re some thoughts I had today re being wheat free, there's no reason anyone has to eat wheat free unless medically advised, it is just a way of eating that agrees with some people, including me & my now pain free & flat stomach. I am loving it but will be evaluating on the 20th.

I do eat wheat free crackers & bread sometimes, they are easy to find in the stores here.

Found a 3fc support thread for Wheat Belly. The posters seem to be focused on the low carb aspect of the book, but I am eating roughly the same amount of carbs, just avoiding wheat. The only thing this does for me as far as weight is I am not being tortured by wanting all the cupcakes, bakery cake, cookies, doughnuts every time I go to the grocery. I know I can have a gluten free bakery item any time but it is just a little less easy to obtain that or make it since my cravings have stopped. I do like a lot of the gluten free crackers, which are in all the stores I shop in. I have concerns about the rice in those but eat a few now & then.
  • This has been a week of angst, turmoil & disappointment in the personal life of Me the Queen/Empress & Acting CEO of Her Own Glorious Self lol.

So, okay, we can hang with that. S'ok. We are Happy Queens here in the Queendom. Things don't always go our way and we're doing okay.

That. Rhymes.

Now the NO WHEAT thing, though, is going well. Our glorious royal digestion is BETTER. Some other physical parameters, pain, inflammation and mental unclarities have improved. It is the NO WHEAT!

We really like this lifestyle.

So. That. Is. Good.

We REALLY had a fun evening when it SNOWED in our desert yard earlier in the week. Hadn't had snow in our yard for 18 years, when we lived back east. Have seen snow in the town where we used to work, even the odd flake or two now & then in the metro areas, lots of nice snow dusting the mountain tops. But in our own royal castle's backyard, no. Our royal canine companion had actually never SEEN snow patches. She didn't know what they were but we think she liked them.

So our point IS this: IT HAS BEEN A GOOD AND BAD WEEK BUT WE'VE HAD SOME ANGST, WE'VE HAD SOME DISAPPOINTMENTS, WE ARE MISSING SOME THINGS IN OUR NORMALLY HAPPY LIFE. WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT SOME THINGS.

We. Feel. The. Least. The. Universe. Can. Do. To. Compensate. Us. Is. Provide. A. Nice. Weekly. Weigh-In. For. Us. To. Celebrate.

That's all.

It is only fair, Universe!

• Huzzah! Just a royal quickie to announce that lo Queen/Empress & All Round Royal Good Fellow Am2 ...

DID LOSE .2 THIS WEEK! Hooray for me! I'm happy. This is a SLOW process getting through that 132 plateau number but I'll do it.
  • Crashed and burned on Friday, five star days yesterday and Saturday. I'm toying with the idea of making vegetables exempt from the eating at the table rule. I remember that I'd done that successfully once before. It gives me the option to have a snack in front of the TV and increases my vegetable intake without increasing calorie intake too much. A little dip ok but not hummus -- I can go through a lot of hummus with baby carrots.

Amarantha, sorry you had such a crummy last week -- but HOLY GOOD ATTITUDE, BATMAN! And congrats on the loss. Huzzah!

A desperate work week here. I think I may ask my manager if we can switch a few things around to make production easier.

Let's make it a good one!

• Arabella, I find myself looking at kitchen tables lately as I am contemplating implementing your kitchen table rule, at least part time.

Good idea about implementing the veggie exemption.

Part of my rationale in the wheat ban is in the spirit of your table rule. It is the way I am doing everything in this "retirement" period of my life that I hope will end by summer but if it does not I'll make the best of it. I am creating an environment that will serve me in life & diet hood lol. If wheat is banned, it is, frankly, harder to eat cake.

I do plan on making a gluten free cake someday but for now, I am saving tons of impulsive snacks & my joints don't ache as much from bad food in large amounts.

Thanks for the kind words on my attitude. I appreciate that, Wood Nymph.

Busy week of appointments & I need to make up 5,000 steps from yesterday to get my 70,000 weekly goal.

Let's make the greatest royal week ever!

Thinking of all our absent royal friends. Woot!
  • Woot, yesterday here in the Queendom & Empire of the Life of Am2 things were actually MORE dramatic than they were on any given day of the disastrous week previous. The short list of things that happened that could be construed as negative included being a fraud victim, falling prey (not for the first time) to the anxiety producing talents of two perpetually hostile neighbors, worrying about an elderly friend's health, and OF COURSE, as a result of some of this angst, Am2 found herself having her second high calorie day of the week.

HOWSOMEVER, all the angst did not result in a deviation from the State of Wheat Freedom and well we here in Am2 Land always have two high cal days a week anyhow, so this was a good reflection to have AS WELL AS the recall that last week was a bummer too YET, Am2 DID lose weight.

SO, we are walkin' our stress away this morning and then going to Sprouts to look for some bars called Uber, which are supposed to be gluten free, because yesterday we must admit that the IDEA of eating a piece of regular wheat based buttercream white cake was tempting, but we stuck to the experiment.

Whole day to be dedicated to peace and quiet and CALORIE CONTROL with no wheat overtones.

WOOOT!

It. Is. Manifest.
  • New little personal challenge o' the Faithful Follower of the Sane Weight Management Society, Queen/Empress Am2, a wee personal royal streak challenge to keep EVIL STRESS EATING AT BAY FOR A WHILE in the Royal Realm o' Am2. A lot of negative thoughts & JUST THINGS are causin' angst in the personal royal life and while we remain adamantly wheat free here in our personal Queendom, our calories are creepin' up. We are binge free, just eatin' a bit too high on the caloric hog for sane weight management and we really don't feel well at that caloric level.

So we will play a game. The Royal Good Calorie Level Streak Challenge to see how many consecutive days we can stay at 1600 or below, which is kind of a challenging amount for us.

Since we calorie cycle here in the Queendom, it really isn't even necessary or required to stay at 1600 or below and it really isn't even desirable long term. This is just a temporary game as we ARE TRYING TO GET BELOW 130 POUNDS right now.

We will update this challenge now and then on this board and others we post on.

Day 1, February 27, 2013, Wednesday, Calories TBD
  • Queen's Royal Caloric Level Streakity Streak
    Day 1, Wednesday, February 27, 1530
    Day2, TBD
    Day 2, 1560
    Day 3, TBD
    Day 2, 1560
    Day 3, 1540
    Day 4, TBD
  • Skulking back to the palace, following bread crumbs. Missed y'all and will (like wsw) be back after I've reviewed some more back posts.

Note new name - this is to go w/new home and all sorts of life revisions. Mostly good. Except for weight gained when not journeying to the Varied Seasons Palaces.

For now -
  • Shaking things up again here. I had a mostly good last week but I'm thinking that reducing carbs is what always works for me. And, once I wrap my head around the concept, is so much easier. I'd "forgotten" how much less hungry I am, how I don't have the non-hunger impulses to eat. Not a low, low carb diet but one that allows legumes, quinoa. I feel better already, third day in.

Am, congrats on the successful navigation through the more dramatically disastrous week and losing weight. Huzzah!

I was just thinking yesterday about the difficulty staying OP when life gets really challenging and how we might deal with it. 'Tis a good thing to prepare for b/c sure as shooting, life will be giving us some lemons.

ANAGRAM!!! I confess that I was thinking of sending out a search party. So glad to see you back in the Palace.

As you will have seen, I've gained a shocking amount of weight. It never fails to amaze me, each time I stop weighing myself for an extended period of time and gain significantly. Nevertheless, we are moving onward and will triumph.

So, with that said, I'm just heading out with DH for our Sunday walk. This afternoon, I'll be going to hot yoga and getting ready for a trip to Halifax at daybreak tomorrow.

Love to all in the palace or on walkabout - let's make this a good one!

• Huzzah, Anagramredux is IN THE PALACE! Woot! So glad to see you, Queen Anagramredux and love the new name. Looking forward to your posties!

Queen Wsw, also lookin' forward to your future posties and was glad to see thee previously, too.

Queen Arabella, the Royal Wood Nymph, huzzah on thy good week and the plan also to shake things up a bit with carb reduction. Congratulations on Day 3 of that.

I wish I liked quinoa, it is such a perfect grain for any protein, gluten free use. Alack, I do not like it. So many folk do but I appear the exception.

Queen's Royal Caloric Level Streakity Streak
    Day 2, 1560
    Day 3, 1540
    Day 4, 1510
    Day 5, TBD

IN THE MEANTIME, YAY, WE FORGOT TO SAY, EVERYTHING'S GOING OUR WEIGH!

We here in the Queendom and Empire of the Entity Known as Am2 (the Queen/Empress/CEO of Her Own Life) DID indeed saunter on down to the Golden Scale in the Grotto o' Dietary Justice and did indeed do the Sacred Sunday Am2 Weigh-In and Yay THE SCALE HAD NOT MOVED UP OR DOWN.

We call that maintenance and we are happy with that. We would have been frustrated with a gain but a maintain means NEXT WEEK or thereabouts we will saunter on down across that line to the 120s or close enough.

IT. IS. MANIFEST.