The 2013 Palace: Nurturing our royal selves

You're on Page 5 of 16
Go to
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Lovelies!

I squoze off another fluffy one Slow, slow. But 'tis always thus when I ramp up weight-bearing exercise. Which yoga is, big time. Feeling better and better though and shall continue.

Today I'm taking my mom to visit an aunt who's just had a double mastectomy. At 90. I would never do such a thing, myself but I guess the doctors convinced her. We're taking lunch up and I'm putting together a plate of dark chocolate and strawberries as a nod to V Day.

Four stars yesterday -- no meditation. I arrived at yoga without my mat and had just time enough to run home for it and slip into the class with 1 minute to spare. Ommmm...kay.

Am, I find it much easier to make good choices when I'm not eating wheat. Including, for me, not eating wheat. I can get away with a little from time to time but it can also be the slippery slope that I try to avoid.

I also feel no need to be tested for gluten sensitivity. I know how my body responds to it and I know I'm better off without it. The only other possibility could be that it's just carbs in general, I suppose. Whatevs, eh.

K, I should be off and walking b/f I head off for the day. Let's make this a good one!
  • My Royal 4-Day Personal Calorie Level Challenge Log:

Day 1, Wednesday, 1540
    Day 2, Thursday, 1360
    Day 3, Friday, TBD
    Day 4, Saturday, TBD

Happy Valentine's Day to all royals near & far!

Not sure if I said that this morning lol.

Arabella, ITA that yoga is a weight bearing exercise, and great cardio, too. I need to do better being consistent with it. In reality, yoga is the only exercise discipline that I really need, but I want all the others, too.

I did weights and 8,000 steps today, have been feeling ill but perked up tonight so finished all the exercise.

Arabella, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the wheat and gluten issues.

I also think that for me, the no wheat has reduced carbs overall and that has increased my well being (except today ... bought some food that did not agree with me).

Whatever works.

Later, royal ones! Woot!
  • Two or three stars yesterday. I'm not certain I got all my water. I got home from my trip with my mom. Those trips are always good but never stress-free. Anyway, long story short, I came home and gobbled up several pieces of chocolate. It was at the table and I was hungry but not the best choice. I'm trying to train myself to think of baby carrots, even if with dip, as first choice. Nevertheless, was no binge and will not send me down that slippery slope.

I do feel better already and can feel and see changes in my body, though the numbers will change slowly, especially at first. Onward!

Three day weekend ahead and I've got lots of work + a symphony review to get done. I'll walk DH to work and from there around the harbour and then must be diligent. I always like to get the shopping and vacuuming done on Friday, too. Which then makes the Friday evening all the sweeter.

Am, I still remember seeing the show -- I think called "The Body," the plastinated humans, displaying physical structures. The text for the Yoga Lady was all about the amazingly balanced strength among all the muscles in her body.

Let's make this a good one. Heigh-ho! And AWAY!

• Two or three stars yesterday. I'm not certain I got all my water. I got home from my trip with my mom. Those trips are always good but never stress-free. Anyway, long story short, I came home and gobbled up several pieces of chocolate. It was at the table and I was hungry but not the best choice. I'm trying to train myself to think of baby carrots, even if with dip, as first choice. Nevertheless, was no binge and will not send me down that slippery slope.

I do feel better already and can feel and see changes in my body, though the numbers will change slowly, especially at first. Onward!

Three day weekend ahead and I've got lots of work + a symphony review to get done. I'll walk DH to work and from there around the harbour and then must be diligent. I always like to get the shopping and vacuuming done on Friday, too. Which then makes the Friday evening all the sweeter.

Am, I still remember seeing the show -- I think called "The Body," the plastinated humans, displaying physical structures. The text for the Yoga Lady was all about the amazingly balanced strength among all the muscles in her body.

Let's make this a good one. Heigh-ho! And AWAY!

• Arabella, that is an awesome goal of thinking of baby carrots with dip as your first choice. I so wish I felt that way more often.

I must say that since I kicked the wheat outta the palace, there has been a bit more room for healthier food and dare I say "veggies."

I really like being wheat free so far and probably will morph into a total gluten free life style.

I am not having any problems with it, although yesterday did have some digestive illness or other for an hour or two and had to take a nap, then felt fine. TMI, sorry, I do think it was just that I've stopped eating something that has been the mainstay of my diet since probably birth lol.

But for the most part I haven't noticed the change except for feeling generally better but having these episodes similar to minor flu that just go away.

I love being able to walk through the grocery at Wally and realize how just a week ago I had cravings for all the bread, cupcakes, cheesecakes, crackers, pretzels, etc., whilst now I am back eating a healthier low glycemic diet that is serving me better.

Just kind of hanging around the house still, but did go to the gym. Since I renewed my membership I decided I needed to go more often. It is also an awesome place to get my Fitbit steps in using the indoor track and with the crowd in the place and the music and everyone being nice to everyone, it was a verra pleasant session early this morning.

I don't feel I will lose weight this week, but we'll see. Just going to continue logging calories on a week to week basis for a while during the wheat free experiment. Friday's number still has a protein shake to drink tonight. There is no more challenge element in this log. That only makes me eat more lol.

Wednesday, 1540
    Thursday, 1360
    Friday, 1760
    Saturday, TBD
  • Hmmm, in talking about yoga, I had been forgetting other stretch routines I also like, such as what I pulled out of the closet this morning, the very venerable but still so soothing Tamilee's "Total Stretch" video, which I bought on DVD again a number of years ago.

Of course, in my opinion, all stretch and all exercise disciplines are pretty much based on ancient yoga moves, this vid is always thought of as "athletic stretch" (yoga is very athletic), it is pure yoga warm-up, so easy, peaceful and soothing. I love it and it is 30 years or so old if it is a day.

Yoga or whatever, I need to get more stretching in.

Not doing anymore "challenges," though, lol. Just need to get real here.
  • To be honest, if I do NOT lose weight (or gasp, if I gain weight, tomorrow), I am thinking of running a little double tracking experiment doing one of the Weight Watchers’ plans while still tracking calories on Fitday PC.

I may do that this summer anyway if I start work again.

All big “IFs” … it was ever thus.

The real, true thing is that I don’t know what I am going to do but I DO intend to be in the 120s sometime, somewhere, somehow … SOON!

Woot!
  • Three stars yesterday, on my way to five today. But. I'm. So. Tired. I guess the last part of the week was too much for me. And then yoga was the icing on that cake today. Lots of down dog flows, which are taxing for me. I need to learn to sit some out b/c if I push through and give it all I've got -- well, I've given all I've got and I have nothing left. Which is where I am right now. I hate it -- too tired to enjoy anything. Still recovering from walking pneumonia or whatever kind of respiratory thing this is, I guess.

So main focus tomorrow and Monday will be ensuring that I don't go overboard.

Amarantha, your stretch/yoga (I agree with you about stretches being yoga-based) DVD sounds great. I really enjoy following DVDs. It seems so much easier, somehow, than just going through a sequence without any instruction. I must locate my a.m./p.m. chi DVD...

All right. I may or may not run out to the drugstore. Just finishing laundry and that'll do it for the active portion of today. Happy weekend, lies!

• Congrats on three stars, Arabella. Hope your tired feeling goes away as you shake off the last of the respiratory thing. I also think that as healing as yoga can be, it can be too much at times.

I can't do down dog since a plate was put in my arm three years ago. I mourned that for a while but in a class I substitute other moves & no longer think about how incredibly long I worked to do down dog. I like planks a lot using forearms.

I did find a nice phone app to count diet points (not WW) & am going to double track with Fitday PC for a while as an experiment.

Really need to jazz up my motivation & come up with clever plans to maintain dedication to not gaining weight. Woot!
  • Gained .4 and calling that MAINTENANCE. In fact, although still moving forward in pursuit of the ever-so-elusive 120s, I am pretty happy with my weight and have decided that I am first, last and always in MAINTENANCE MODE FROM A MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS, 20 YEARS OR SO AND COUNTING (started losing weight before I even moved to this state, before diet sites, before FB, before the flood ... ).

So going to do the diet points app for a while and the double logging with Fitday PC and the wheat free and going to be working by summer (gosh willin' 'n the wash don't rise).

NOT going to be bothered by a stupid .4 of a pound right now lol.

IT. IS. MANIFEST.

IT. WILL. DEPART.

SOON.
  • NOT MANIFEST! Lol, I dumped the points counting project already and have gone back to the solid rock of pure, accurate calorie counting.

Glad it is Monday tomorrow, although a holiday. Been bouncing off walls recently.

Have a good one, royals.
  • Monday, Monday
    And I'M glad that it's a holiday Monday. Five stars Saturday, three yesterday (yoga & meditation missing).

I lost 1.4 this week. I just realized this morning that my total loss, from unrecorded high (my weight bounced up immediately after I posted the ticker) is 8.3 pounds in a month. So, really, weight loss has not been as slow as I thought it was. Huzzah!

Storming here but DH and I are apt to get out there and walk before too long. O/w, I've got a few housekeeping-type chores to do, and want to get in a goodly practice for spring concert. So far, yoga classes are going ahead so I'll plan to get there. Right now, every second day seems like the most prudent schedule.

Amarantha, I admire you so for liking low planks! I could not say I truly like planks yet, or down dogs either. But I do believe they're both beneficial. I think planks tone and strengthen head to toe.

I didn't realize your big loss was so long ago (or didn't remember -- that could be it). Wow! You're so my hero. There aren't a lot of humans able to lose that amount and keep it off. To do so for 20+ years -- well, that's SUCCESS. Yes, you are an icon of success.

Mmmmmore coffee, a read of the weekend paper (always behind, I am) and then I think we'll be off into the snow storm. This February has been too, too wintery. I hope March eases up on us.

Let's make this a good one!

• There just are not enough hours in a day. I spent yesterday, Sunday, of a long weekend at the office. Reports due today, regardless of it being a holiday.

I was in Florida for a week, which was a very nice, warm, break. Now it's windchills of -21 and snow. Another mess on the way for Tuesday, with freezing rain and ice pellets. I am so over winter!!

Anyhoo, time to get back on the wagon and focus again. One day at a time.

• Woot! Wildfire is back in the palace from the Land of Florida. Sorry you had to work the weekend at the office.

Arabella, yea, I have been in a sort of maintenance mode for a loooong time ... that is where I got my saying: "Maintenance of a major weight loss means sometimes having to deal with regains."

I've been up and down but never anywhere near my high of two decades ago, which was considerably before I met any of ye royals here in the palace.

My current ticker represents a high on my 2012 birthday (which was in the first part of that year) that I somehow reached after a low in 2010 of 117, following the arm injury and surgery. I liked 117 for wearing clothes but it is a number too low to comfortably maintain, but I don't ever intend to fluctuate as much as I have the past two years. I want to be in the 120s around 125, give or take and I intend to stay there ... lol but the three pounds in my way like me.

Had a HUGE breakfast including southwest shredded hash brown potatoes that I make with pico de gallo (I make this fresh now and then) and salsa. I used to not eat white potatoes but I am finding that other than what people tell me about not eating white potatoes, I can think of no reason, and right now I find they make a great fit when I am having minor thoughts of SORT OF wanting something kind of wheat based. I fried these in olive oil and ate with two fried eggs on top, then took a two hour walk or so, finished 10,000 steps and that is kind of my totally nonproductive day so far.

FULL SPEED AHEAD! I INTEND TO HAVE A GREAT WEIGH-IN THIS WEEK!

Day 30 of the backward count to the vernal equinox, still happily wheat free & by default gluten free as there is no other source of gluten in my diet than wheat anyway so since it is outta here, so is gluten.

Migraines gone, places that had swelling gone, digestion and mental clarity better (except for yesterday when I was a crazy person for some reason).

Is it the wheat? Don't know. Very tired now, though. Would have more potatoes but would make me sleepy.

Wow, food obsessed here. Going to go mop kitchen. Bye bye!
  • Crash. Burn. Day 1
    What happened yesterday? I was extra hungry and have extra work pressures, was tired. Whatever -- I ate enough lunch for two people, topped it with chocolate. Ate enough dinner for two people, and did it sitting on the couch watching a movie. And then, inevitably, didn't sleep well, my brain torturing me. Ah well. Onward. Day 1. I feel newly resolved.

They're calling for rain, freezing rain and snow today, all of which we've had plenty of in the past few days. I'm going to have my steel-cut oats with yogurt and then get out for a walk. Despite everything, I don't feel as tired today as I did yesterday. Seriously, I was so sleepy at suppertime yesterday I should have just gone to bed. Instead, I ate too much and then worked too late. Will I ever get to the point that I give me what I need instead of denying myself and trying to make it up with food? I will continue to try.

Amarantha, I also find potatoes a helpful substitute for wheat-based items. Your breakfast sounds really good, and like something that would be a good lunch or dinner, too. I just made an Indian relish last month for the first time that people online had described as an Indian-spiced version of pico de gallo, which I'd never had before. It was fabulous and I'll make it again.

Welcome back, Wildfire! It never ceases to amaze me the way trips are ahead for such a long time and then so quickly disappearing in the rear-view mirror. Nope, not enough hours in the day.

Whatever hours we have today, Queenlies, let's make the most of them. Huzzah!