The 2013 Palace: Nurturing our royal selves

You're on Page 4 of 16
Go to
  • Huzzah, Wood Nymph!

Well, as far as I can tell right now I am not getting the contract but I'm fine with that.

Feeling good today & did the 10,000 steps by 9:30 a.m., nice today, went to park & then came back to neighborhood to walk the streets here. Had a lot of conversations with self about things going on & feel better.

Good work on the shoveling. When I do weights I don't get many steps from that so I basically stopped logging it on the Fitbit site. But I need the weights, yoga & aerobics that I also add to get lateral steps, which the device doesn't record. But I love my Fitbit anyway lol.

Thinking of all the royals. Let's make it a great week.
  • Day 3
    Good morning! I feel pretty good this morning, too. Coincidence that I looked after myself yesterday? I think not.

Day 3 dawns, literally. I've decided to add a little enhancement to my reporting, which is a star system: 1 star each for eating only at the table, yoga or sub, 10,000 steps, meditation and 3L water. That way, my streak continues with eating in control but I still have added incentive to do those other things that are so important.

Yesterday was a 4-star day: steps, eating, water and yoga all good.

It's cold today but supposed to get increasingly so, to be -35 with the windchill later. I'm relieved that it's not that cold now, as it was supposed to be, so I'm going to dress warmly and get out for a walk as soon as the sun's up.

Amarantha, your walk sounds so lovely. I so enjoy that kind of wandering, wondering, thinking walk. I do think better when I walk, too, about everything. It makes my brain work better. Good for you on being ok whether or not you get contract. I'm working on living with uncertainty, which has been something I've struggled with. Huzzah!

Love to all Queenlies, where'er they roam. Let's celebrate this day.

• Love the star system, Wood Nymph. Congrats on day 3, woot!

On iPad, was kind of up half the night fixing computer & downloading stuff.

Yea, Arabella, I live with uncertainty, too. T'is an occupational hazard, plus I am aging & could just sit back & not think about anything anymore but the desire to work is still there, most of the time. Lol, anyhow, I don't get upset much anymore. People sometimes think I am upset but sometimes I am remarkably blah.

Thinking about an experiment to give up wheat from the next weigh in to the Vernal Equinox. This is not a challenge; if I eat wheat, I just keep going. I do think there will be a pizza lunch next Tuesday so I will definitely eat the crust.

I will make it a St. Paddy's No Wheat Party.

If I do it. Haven't decided.
  • good morning, queenlies! have missed you all. have had a few pesky ms "technical difficulties" of late. just wanted to check in and say i have been thinking of you. will be back soon when have had a chance to read some of your past posts and can respond more personally. keep a light for me in the palace, dear royals. take care.
  • Day 4
    Another cold and sunny one here. Major snowstorm heading our way for the weekend, though.

5 stars yesterday! The meditation was a good add-on. When I go to yoga class, we have time built in lying in savasana before we start. Of course, there's stuff going on, people coming in and getting set up, although most do it quietly. Anyway, it's a perfect time to meditate because I'm just lying there anyway. And good training to learn to quiet myself in the midst of stimulation.

WSW, so nice to see you in the palace! Hope pesky MS difficulties are gone pronto!

Amarantha, I'll be interested to see how you get along wheat-free if you decide to do that. I mostly don't eat it myself but one of my sisters who ordinarily does stopped and said that she was blown away by the way her knee pain improved.

K, given the approaching storm, I'm going to scoot out to the store before everyone else gets there and turns it to a madhouse. Will walk, at some point, and probably go to yoga at noon or two this aft.

Have a blessed day, ies!

• I am starting "40 days and 40 nights," the EAT WHEAT FREE EXPERIMENT begins early (was going to wait until Sunday) as was pretty well there the past few anyway. There are 40 days until the Vernal Equinox and a lot of changes are taking place in my life and in that new spirit and having had fun reading Wheat Belly, I’m experimenting during the holiday themed seasons of Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day and the 1st Day of Spring (Vernal Equinox, March 20) to see if wheat free is for me, whee! This is Day 40, counting backwards!

Wsw, so happy to see you back in the Palace and second the hope that those mean ol' technical difficulties flee the premises soon.

Arabella, hope the snowstorm changes its mind and goes in the opposite direction from you and maybe just turns out to sea and dissolves.

It is chilly here as it often in on on a February morn, but it'll be warm today. I do have contract matters to consider today, again, but nothing definite, kind of just focused now on taking care of me and the dog.

I am starting "40 days and 40 nights," the EAT WHEAT FREE EXPERIMENT early (was going to wait until Sunday) as was pretty well there the past few days anyway. There are 40 days until the Vernal Equinox and a lot of changes are taking place in my life and in that new spirit and having had fun reading Wheat Belly, I’m experimenting during the holiday themed seasons of Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day and the 1st Day of Spring (Vernal Equinox, March 20) to see if wheat free is for me, whee! This is Day 40, counting backwards!

Arabella, thanks for the info re thy sister. I actually eat a LOT of wheat but will have no trouble ditchin' it! Years ago on Sugar Busters, I ditched corn and never looked back, although after a decade or so made the decision to occasionally eat it as my body by that time processed it differently.

Thinking of all royals near and far, have a great day, all.
  • Got a lot of benefit out of the first full day of the no wheat experiment, huzzah! Decision made to continue and also some clarity came to me on how to reduce some joint stress and mental stress by reducing my official daily Fitbit step count to 8,000. I do weights, yoga and aerobics, too, plus the steps and since I had started to be overtrained and not feel well, I ended up skipping days of officially having a goal of 10,000 in favor of the more doable 8,000. I also intend to go back to work out of retirement at some point soon and honestly it takes just too much out of my day to do a consistent 10,000, but 8,000 will keep the activity intact until I decide to raise it back. May reduce it further.
  • Day 5 -- Three stars yesterday, b/c I didn't do yoga or meditate. I was very tired, but could have taken 10 minutes to lie in savasana to get both, so no excuse really.

Today, DH and I walked through the blizzard. Lots of extra calories burned trudging through snow. It was wild but kind-of gorgeous.

Amarantha, glad you got benefits from the first day.

Exercise is very time-consuming, is it not. Between walking and yoga, there's about 2.5 hours of my day, which puts some pressure on everything else and means I end up not doing impromptu other things or even other things in general very often. What with having to work and all.

Some people talk about their exercise time as their time for themselves. Maybe I can try to think of it a bit more like that.

Have a great weekend, all!
  • Huzzah, Arabella! Three stars is good, though.

You are doing great!

I like that idea of doing savasana and it is both yoga and meditation. Last year when I went through a rough patch I was taking a lot of new yoga classes at the gym. One was restorative yoga where we never left the floor and the assistant played bowls and they used a lot of oils and blankets and touching. It was quite heavenly but I got burned out on it anyhow because I was somewhat unhappy, I suppose. It should have helped but it didn't.

Then they started up a new hatha gong classes with the instructor playing the giant gong as we moved through pretty simple hatha work and then lay there at the end for gong meditation. There was also an hour a week of just gong meditation (yoga nidra with gong, I think they called it). I went to that once and it was glorious. But it all just took too much time and I somehow overtrained just lying there for the most part.

I should go back. The gong is pure heaven.

Not sure why but I always fight what helps me and yoga is one of those things.

Anyhow, yea, exercise does take a lot of time when one covers everything one needs to cover. Guess that is why I'm reducing the step goal. I want to do it all lol.

Doing well again with the wheat freedom. Cals a little higher today.

Have a great rest of the day, royals! Woot!
  • Huzzah, woot! Queen/Empress Am2 & all the fantasy diet companions in her wee little brain did march on down to the Sacred Grotto o' the Golden Scale this mornin' & did consult the Oracle o' the Golden Scale and it did say that the royal Am2, Goddess of the No Wheat Spring Science Experiment, HAD indeed lost .6 on the scale this week, putting her NOT EXACTLY IN THE 120s as she had planned to be on February 10, but STALKING THE 120s anyhow.

Almost there & verra happy. This doth not have to do with the wheat experiment as other than cutting out a WHOLE LOTTA JUNK FOOD THAT Am2 LIKES TO OVEREAT (cake, donuts, etc.), it is not believed in Amarantha Land that the wheat has anything to do with weight. However, Am2 continues feeling well wheatless & she marches on. This is the 38th day, counting backwards to the experimental end wheatless day. On that day, we in the Land will decide if we will continue wheatless, which is possible.

Woot! Pretty happy with the weight! This is NOT rapid weight loss but works for me!
  • Just passin' through this mornin' to see if anyone is in the palace lol.

I am on day 37 of the backward no wheat day count to the Vernal Equinox and enjoying the trip, more or less. Had some rocky moments and have to realize that in reality, I have eaten wheat all my life and probably more wheat than any other food substance has been the food rock on which I stood since a babe in arms.

Anyhow, having fun and finding out a lot of things.

I have cancelled the red velvet cake ban as it is unlikely that a wheat free red velvet cake is ever going to present itself to me and I wouldn't eat it if it did, so now I'm just down to staying wheat free and counting calories & exercising as usual.

Woot! Feeling a physical & mental alchemy beginning to process itself through my sphere & an uplift in spirit that has not been present for some time. Sure & begorra, so much clarity is spinning around in my wee brain. Is it leprechauns? Or is it the wheat, or lack thereof?

Marching forward.
  • Day 8
    Five stars Saturday, just one on Sunday, four yesterday. Fell short on steps Sunday and yesterday but still walked substantially. Our storm lasted pretty much all weekend. Cleared up around 5 Sunday afternoon.

Am, the gong yoga sounds wonderful! My SIL has studied sound therapy and does sessions, which I've heard are amazing. It's all about vibration. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Re: wheat -- well, things that I noticed almost immediately were: more energy, fewer aches and pains, mental clarity, and a better mood. It was very striking. One day, years ago, I suddenly just felt GREAT. It was such a radical change from how I felt normally that I racked my brains trying to figure out what I'd done differently and that was what it seemed to come down to -- I hadn't eaten wheat the previous day. Have tested that hypothesis many times since and always seems to be proven.

Re: red velvet cake and wheaty junk -- there are a surprising number of wheat-free products now that are pretty good. My personal opinion is that the junky ones are hugely more successful than the healthy ones. I guess what I'm saying is, if you decide to stay wheat-free and ever want cookies or donuts, you can probably find some. Not sure if that is good news or bad, hey.

K, I'm just going to practice the Haydn Nelson Mass for our Good Friday performance and then scoot out for a walk while it's not raining. Yes, after last week's arctic temps and the weekend blizzard, that's what we've got today.

Huzzah to all! Let's make this a good one!

• Congratulations on all the stars you are amassing, Arabella! They all count!

Thanks for sharing positive encouragement re the wheat free project that I sometimes call Wheatless Begorra lol because it is over three days after St. Paddy's Day!

I'm on Day 36, counting backwards, had some negative feedback about it in real life, not sure why, so do appreciate advice & good vibes.

In the final analysis, my body has the vote and my body and mood are having similar positive feelings as you describe. I've had some bad patches where I seemed to be "detoxing" from wheat and then I increasingly have a feeling of well being. Definitely some parameters are clicking in that I am either ascribing to a placebo effect or could it be NO WHEAT!

I know what you mean about the gluten free replacements for treats. I am not heavily into them and can't even imagine seeking a red velvet gluten free piece of cake. I have had moments of wanting something like bread and the first few days had a Van's wheat free waffle toasted with butter, then found a really nice gf raisin cinnamon bread and yesterday had one piece of that cold with butter. It was excellent but not really something I think I need long term.

For one thing, at the moment I am concerned with the rice flour in everything since there is a rice scare going on.

Another thing is I just don't believe I am going to need to really have exact substitutes. If I wanted sweet carbs, I could have a piece of dark chocolate.

Right now I am not focusing on gluten free, just on wheat free.

One bit of feedback that keeps popping up online among those who seem in the nutritional know is to have a blood test before going gluten free to, uh, see if you need to be gluten free.

I really don't see this as an issue for me because I am obviously not gluten intolerant and do not have celiac disease.

So I'm forging ahead at the moment and having fun with this.

In the meantime I had a massive amount of energy for weights today and did an hour, when honestly I've been down to the bare minimum for the past year.

So, we'll see.

Steps continue at 8,000 plus and I've decided that I have prescribed a RANGE of 8,000-10,000 and anything above that is gravy.

Wootness! Still waiting for some business things to click in and really, I'm not going to do anything much all day! Yay!

It is cold (37F) and still dark, even though we have passed First Light.

Thinking of all royals and shall fold tent and maybe go read for a while.
  • Renewed gym membership for another year. They have Zumba Gold for one class only. It is a gentler Zumba for seniors &/or inexperienced Zumba fans or people who just want a reduced level. I have done tons of Zumba but think the slower pace would feel good about now.

Day 35 on the no wheat & really liking it, making way better choices. Doing a little calorie challenge for rest if week, no higher than 1700 & will bring in some days lower than that, as had two high days already.

There is a lot to eat other than wheat.

Thinking of all royals, huzzah! Have a good one.
  • Ok, dokey, my little Royal 4-Day Personal Calorie Level Challenge Log:

Day 1, Wednesday, 1540
    Day 2, Thursday, TBD
    Day 3, Friday, TBD
    Day 4, Saturday, TBD