JANUARY Feathers Chat!

You're on Page 9 of 20
Go to
  • Quote:
    hate to sound like a jerk, but this is a little alarming...
    Doing 4 HIIT sessions per week is really not good for your body, and doing it FASTED is even more so! You want to look lean and toned but you're going to chew up your muscle that way and end up worse off.

You are at the point where you are so low in carbs and calories that you're nearing binge territory just to see a drop on the scale? Why? Why does the scale MATTER?! I suppose I'm just getting frustrated because you are so smart and you KNOW that to look the way you claim to want to look you need to GAIN muscle.
    Ok...Don't worry; you do not sound like a jerk. I absolutley know that I will lose some muscle with the fasted/extra cardio. But I want to lose more bodyfat, and you know it can't be done with just weight and cardio 2 days a week. You told me yourself that you did cardio after your workouts when you first started to change your body composition and cardio mornings and afternoons.

But I will throw it back...I'm sorry too if I sound like a jerk.
    But if the scale doesn't matter...
    A 12 week program with severe carb deprivation with the result to look "competition ready" when you don't even want to compete, isn't the answer either. You are way more likely to binge on virtually no carbs.

If you are true to the program, you know you will be back in the 110 range or lower. I know you want faster results and a jump start...and sometimes we have do what it takes to start getting back on track, when we can't get the results we want. That...I understand.

Sure, the program will make you accountable and you will reach your goals that you likely would not have reached before or on your own. BUT...Ulimately it comes down to will power for long term success.

I maintained 111-113 range for almost a year before I let myself have "extras". Once you start adding in the extras...you know what happens. Yay for yo-yos!
  • Oh my gosh, I missed you guys. I've been MIA since August, and gaining weight, and losing weight, and having food issues, a month of starving myself here, a month of bingeing there. Oh, awful. So awful.

I realized that when I am the most at peace with my relationship with food is when I'm on this forum, so I decided in the new year to get back to my healthy habits that I used to have -- including my 3fc habit. I have a good feeling about 2013 and I want to be in good shape for it! I have a few badass vacations this summer, I want to look good for them.

Eeee, I missed you feathers! SO MUCH! I literally have thought about you guys during my day to day life, even when not on the boards for months.

---

krampus: WOOOOOW! LOOK AT YOU, I love your new picture! What a stone cold fox. You have gotten downright skinny, your stats are amazing. Amazing effort, amazing results -- SO glad to see you still here posting!

TurboMammoth: Eeee, my hockey friend! THE LOCKOUT IS OVER THANK GOODNESS, AMIRIGHT? I hate to hear you're having trouble with your runs, but you've always been such an awesome athlete, I know you'll get right back into the swing of things soon.

Alexistrophic: - I'm so glad to see you on here! It's great to see people still posting from when I fell off the wagon, haha. I'm proud of you -- I am just now starting to get into my 10 day slump too, so I'm glad to come get a boost and give a boost to people who may need it! YOU CAN GET BACK ON TRACK.

Jossfit: I disappeared fromt he boards before I ever heard about your wedding or anything, but I skulked around and found some pictures of you and your beau -- you are just so beautiful! I am so glad to hear of your happiness. This diet you're taking up sounds hardcore, I'm going to have to read back about it -- I'm so into cheese (cheesecake included!) that I would have the hardest time giving up dairy, kudos to you! I've gained 20 pounds as well, I was 118lbs this time last year. But we've got this, and I'm SO glad to see you here, I've often wondered how you were doing! I've always foudn you to be HUGELY inspirational.

---

I'm so glad to see so many people I've not had the pleasure of getting acquainted with during my 4+ month hiatus!

Olehcat: I am so with on about the lure to just order Chinese or pizza, sometimes it's just a personal success not to pick up the phone and dial for take-out. It sounds like you've got your priorities striaght and your will is winning -- visiting a friend who bakes sounds like torture, but you've got it.

Bayzee: Aaaa, I'm so impressed with chicks who lift heavy. Phew, those are some intense workouts! I'm sorry you're not seeing your SERIOUS effort reflected on the scale yet, but I feel sure that you will soon.

JessicaB: Good luck with your contest! I hear you about the diet fatigue/maintenance thing, I would not be 20lbs up if I had been able to do that as well. I am a diet soda and sugar free jello junkie, I would love to start getting the fake sugars out of my diet too. Good luck with the potluck and the desserts -- you've got this!

LockItUp: Looks like you've been sick lately, I hope you're feeling better! It's so hard to stick to a diet plan and exercise when you're feeling under the weather -- I always grave comfort foods. I'm sure once you can get your health back you'll find the weight falling off again. Hang in there.

Aaaaaah! I hope all of you feathers have a fantastic day on plan!
  • Quote: ...You told me yourself that you did cardio after your workouts when you first started to change your body composition and cardio mornings and afternoons.
    True... I did do cardio after weights when I first started, but I was at 150 pounds and under the supervision of a trainer (Actually if you are on Bodybuilding.com you may know her; Emma-Leigh? Shes one of the moderators on the site) My HIIT was only 2 times a week and I had a lot of body fat to lose.

Quote: ...A 12 week program with severe carb deprivation with the result to look "competition ready" when you don't even want to compete, isn't the answer either.
    I DO want to compete, and have for years, but there is nothing in my area to compete in.
    This program is for getting me to look "photo shoot ready" not stage ready, which is a big difference. I also never said anything about severe or any carb deprivation... I'm eating far more carbs on his plan than I ever have. They are just carbs from oatmeal, sweet potatos and things that are unprocessed. I can't have SUGAR, but I eat a ton of carbs.

Quote: ...If you are true to the program, you know you will be back in the 110 range or lower...
    Starting out at this weight I don't think it's possible for me to lose nearly that much, and given that I'm not able to compete we won't be doing any dehydrating/water/salt manipulation, so there is almost zero chance of it. I also have no desire to weigh 110 pounds... 120 is my goal, and Kim knows that as well. It's a "competition look" program but it is still tailored to me and to MY goals.

Quote: ...Sure, the program will make you accountable and you will reach your goals that you likely would not have reached before or on your own. BUT...Ulimately it comes down to will power for long term success.
    ABSOLUTELY it does, which is why I hired a trainer. He knows I'm doing this as a way to get back on track and not rebound so we've got a program set up to transition me back into maintenance as well.

Quote: ...I maintained 111-113 range for almost a year before I let myself have "extras". Once you start adding in the extras...you know what happens. Yay for yo-yos!
    Booo for yo-yos! LOL I suppose I just worry because I know how I feel right now and I don't want you to feel that way. I too maintained at a lower weight quite easily AND had extras for 2 years, but it was when I started inching lower and lower that the problems popped up. I think the line was when I started to curse the scale and my workouts felt like punishment, not fun.

My point overall is that we only see a tiny bit of anyone's life on this forum. From here you look like you might be towing that same line that I did, but in actuality you might be totally fine doing all that HIIT and not binging or slipping up. I just worry is all.
  • Quote: Joss I know I can make it through the potluck, because I've done it before when I was starting out. I guess the difference is in the back of my mind I'm trying to calculate how often I can go off plan, and still make goal within this 12 week competition. I know the big problem is that when I indulge, I really over do it, so I might just avoid the dessert all together, it's probably easier that way. I think I really need to get through that day to prove to myself that I can do it, and renew my faith in myself.

I understand the hopeless feeling. A lot of the time I feel like there's no way I can get back to the way I looked in September, but I know that's just silly of me to think that way. I've done it before and I can do it again, and we all know you will too. I'm sure if his methods aren't getting you results, he'll tweak them along the way.
    I think it comes down to knowing yourself as well. Sure it would be great if we could all eat a slice of cake and be fine, but some people (*raises both hands*) are just better off not eating any at all!

You're totally right... we CAN all achieve whatever we set our minds to, but the mind is a hard thing to control sometimes isn't it? I'm trying to do some positive thinking, visualization, all that jazz in hopes it will help give me that extra push.
    I KNOW I will not deviate from this plan, at all. I'm too invested in it and too motivated and honestly I am a structure kind of gal; I crave it and I thrive with it. As long as what he tells me to do works, the program itself will work for me.
  • Quote: Oh my gosh, I missed you guys. I've been MIA since August, and gaining weight, and losing weight, and having food issues, a month of starving myself here, a month of bingeing there. Oh, awful. So awful.

I realized that when I am the most at peace with my relationship with food is when I'm on this forum, so I decided in the new year to get back to my healthy habits that I used to have -- including my 3fc habit. I have a good feeling about 2013 and I want to be in good shape for it! I have a few badass vacations this summer, I want to look good for them.

Eeee, I missed you feathers! SO MUCH! I literally have thought about you guys during my day to day life, even when not on the boards for months.

Jossfit: I disappeared fromt he boards before I ever heard about your wedding or anything, but I skulked around and found some pictures of you and your beau -- you are just so beautiful! I am so glad to hear of your happiness. This diet you're taking up sounds hardcore, I'm going to have to read back about it -- I'm so into cheese (cheesecake included!) that I would have the hardest time giving up dairy, kudos to you! I've gained 20 pounds as well, I was 118lbs this time last year. But we've got this, and I'm SO glad to see you here, I've often wondered how you were doing! I've always foudn you to be HUGELY inspirational.

Welcome back! I've definitely been having my struggles as well, but that's behind us now so lets move on!

Thank you so much for the kind words about my wedding... we had an amazing time and so far things in the marriage are wonderful, considering we still live apart. I'm definitely a happy newlywed in that regard.

As for being inspirational, I certainly don't feel it right now but you know what? I plan to make it up to you all and be that inspirational person again if I can!

You and I are pretty much in the same spot; I was 118 this time last year as well and now, not so much... but I can definitely relate to where you are and how you got there! I'm glad you came back to posting here and hopefully it will be the boost you need to get you back on track and headed in the right direction.

Aside from posting more often, what are you doing to get ready for your awesome vacations? And more importantly, where are you going for these trips?!
  • Quote: Welcome back! I've definitely been having my struggles as well, but that's behind us now so lets move on!

Thank you so much for the kind words about my wedding... we had an amazing time and so far things in the marriage are wonderful, considering we still live apart. I'm definitely a happy newlywed in that regard.

As for being inspirational, I certainly don't feel it right now but you know what? I plan to make it up to you all and be that inspirational person again if I can!

You and I are pretty much in the same spot; I was 118 this time last year as well and now, not so much... but I can definitely relate to where you are and how you got there! I'm glad you came back to posting here and hopefully it will be the boost you need to get you back on track and headed in the right direction.

Aside from posting more often, what are you doing to get ready for your awesome vacations? And more importantly, where are you going for these trips?!
    You're inspiring not because of the weight/fitness level you are at during any given time, but because of your drive and attitude. You don't have to "do " anything for me to find you inspirational.

The boyfriend and I always go to a convention together, he collects Transformers and this year it's in San Diego and close to a beach -- I haven't been on a beach since I was 16, and when I was 16 I weighed 155lbs+, so I'm looking forward to going and feeling comfortable in a swimsuit (well, as much as possible, anyway.) AAAAAAND... my mother has insurance customers in Hawaii and may be traveling out there this summer with her, and if that's the case I'd be able to go and lay on the beach and drink frozen things with little umbrellas while she goes to meetings.

I've been counting calories, lose 3 pounds so far, but I'd love to join a gym and get a fitness routine to help me get to where I want to be, but I'm scared. Have you ever heard anything so crazy? I literally have no idea how to work out other than running, and I have a fear of people looking at me or anything. I'm especially afraid of people touching me, and I'm afraid if I go they (by "they" I mean big dudebro trainers, which is such stereotype) are going to touch me to show me how I'm doing something wrong. BUT I am going to suck it up and go here... soon. Hopefully.

I'm also one of those people that is afraid to try things because if I try and fail I'll feel worse about myself. I have a lot of things that I need to work on about myself this year, and not all of them deal with my weight.

Jossfit, I started clicking through all of your links again and I forgot about your totally wicked ink, it's just so beautiful. I have a rib piece that is a giant hawk, but right now since I've gained weight (and his belly is right on my love handle) he looks a little bit like a chicken.
  • OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG Dorian5 you're back!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like a puppy I'm so excited, hahaha. Glad you have returned to 3FC and I wish you all the best in finding your happy medium - throw the starve-binge cycle in the trash!

Actually what's kept me on my toes is weightlifting - it lets me eat more food without gaining weight, and if I don't eat enough I have terrible workouts. As long as I go to the gym (I've gone at least 3x/week since last March!) regularly, I feel like my eating and lifting really balance each other out! I was sooooooo nervous when I started, I read about it online for months before lifting a single weight and am still afraid of some things. But every little bit helps!

My bf and I are going to the Florida Keys in 3 weeks - ahhh! - San Diego is my favorite place ever, I can't wait to hear more about your vacations. Have you managed to stay smoke-free??
  • KRAMPUS I just missed you so much. My local asian market had Men's Pocky 2 weeks ago and I was like OMG KRAMPUS, yes, this is a sign, I need to be on 3FC again.

I am so impressed with your lifting, ugh, all of you lifters are going to guilt me into this, aren't you? 3x a week since MARCH!?! No wonder you have whittled down to such a skinny mini! I WANT PICTURES FROM YOUR VACAY.

YES, I have been (mostly) smoke free, it will be 3 years in June 2013. Back in December my beau came home with a surprise of a $100 dollar bottle of champagne and fancy cigars (have you ever been completely sure someone was going to propose and it didn't happen? lol anyway....) so I smoked a cigar. But no cigarettes, and I don't think I'll even smoke a cigar again, as I could taste it for days afterward even after brushing. :P

I SEE YOU HAVE CALLED YOURSELF A NONSMOKER ON YOUR PROFILE! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN!?! (I'm sorry I'm shouting, haha)

Oh man, what are you two up to in the Florida Keys?? I am going to be as skinny as you when I go on my vacation damn it!

(I am just really sorry everyone, I have taken over the January feathers chat, I'm so sorry, lol)
  • Quote: KRAMPUS I just missed you so much. My local asian market had Men's Pocky 2 weeks ago and I was like OMG KRAMPUS, yes, this is a sign, I need to be on 3FC again.

I am so impressed with your lifting, ugh, all of you lifters are going to guilt me into this, aren't you? 3x a week since MARCH!?! No wonder you have whittled down to such a skinny mini! I WANT PICTURES FROM YOUR VACAY.

YES, I have been (mostly) smoke free, it will be 3 years in June 2013. Back in December my beau came home with a surprise of a $100 dollar bottle of champagne and fancy cigars (have you ever been completely sure someone was going to propose and it didn't happen? lol anyway....) so I smoked a cigar. But no cigarettes, and I don't think I'll even smoke a cigar again, as I could taste it for days afterward even after brushing. :P

I SEE YOU HAVE CALLED YOURSELF A NONSMOKER ON YOUR PROFILE! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN!?! (I'm sorry I'm shouting, haha)

Oh man, what are you two up to in the Florida Keys?? I am going to be as skinny as you when I go on my vacation damn it!

(I am just really sorry everyone, I have taken over the January feathers chat, I'm so sorry, lol)
    I totally thought of you at the Outback the other night as I was hoovering up some bread! It is totally a sign.

Lifting is not as scary as it seems, and it's nice because you don't have to spend as much time doing it - I probably lift for 20 minutes 3 times a week if we're being honest. I'd be in far better shape if I trained with a regimented program, but I'm OK with just being a casual exerciser. I started out with the Stumptous.com beginner suggestions and went from there. ALSOOOOOOO not like it matters but at this weight when I didn't lift or strength train my waist was 2" bigger. Just saying. :P

NICELY DONE on the not smoking. I like the ummm wacky tobacky a bit too much but cigarettes and cigars and hookahs haven't been part of my life since summertime.

The Keys were a spontaneous knee-jerk decision - JetBlue ran a good sale on flights and we decided to go for it. I'm really excited - we'll be tent camping and snorkeling and lying around doing nothing all day. Dream come true...
  • HOLY MOLY you people posted your life away today! (but I like it, when I come on the forum and nobody posted after me I feel depressed bwhahah)

I'm gonna come back later for personnals but I have to say

DORIANNNN YOU'RE BAAAAAAACK! so so so so so glad to see you back here!!! You come back just in time for the start of the new season!!! we have a fantasy hockey draft with people from my family... It feels almost to good to be true, this season is reallyyy actually starting heheh!

Okay, I feel like krampus and the puppy to excited for the world analogy, I'm gonna go calm myself a bit and I'll come back later for personnals!
  • Ahhhhh!!!! *jumps into the puppy dog hug Dorian 5 pile*

!!!!Dorian5!!!! YAYYYYY@@@ So happy to see you back in here! I have the same revelation about this board. I was hanging around on ones with more of a "specialized" focus (ED recovery, etc) but I feel like the times when I'm the healthiest and most at peace with my body are when I'm posting on 3fc. These lifting ladies are such an inspiration that I'm with you in giving it a go, too. Maybe try finding a female trainer?

Joss ~ I'll amend my previous statement - Your bones are made of titanium alloy - strong and light. And I agree with Dorian that it's your attitude and drive that make you so darn inspirational.
    I absolutely LOVE that story of you and your hubby and I could kinda see the same thing happening with this guy. It just doesn't seem like food or eating well is a priority for him right now (hopefully, we can improve that... ) and he also has a supercute face and personality. People I trust tell me the same thing- Outsides change, it's what's on the inside that counts... *insert care bear smiley face here*
    OMG - Gillian McKeith = the scary older blonde woman! I don't much care for her, either. She just seems too judgmental and not very helpful. Bleh. I can see what you're saying about the female trainers on Fat Fighters purporting the "superthin" feminine ideal, too. Do you think that it might just be seeing them next to the overweight clients they're training?

JessicaB ~ Welcome back! It seems like we all have that challenge when it comes to getting close to our ideals... the closer we get, the lower the motivation goes. Hopefully we feathers can band together and "dig deep" to reach the very peak of all our potential. *rocky theme goes here*

Lockitup ~ (lol - "my" army guy...) He's maybe half an inch taller than me, and I'm mostly 5'9". I like the idea of a guy being taller than me and since I hit my growth spurt early (was 5'8" in 7th grade) I've always felt like the giant of the group. Then again, there have been times when I've hung out with guys who are taller than me... but make me want to shove pins in my eyes, so if given the option I'd go for the shorter guy who makes me laugh.

Bayzee ~ It seems like you are someone who thrives on extremes (*relates*) In the end, you know your body better than anyone else and getting healthy and to a sustainable low weight are ultimately the best goals.

Krampus ~ Awww, so sweet of your bf to clean off your car!... err... how dare he deprive you of the pleasure... (?) lol - what part did you miss? Hurray for your superhealthy lunch. I'm not really "jealous" of the Army guy's physique, I just wish that I could "forget" to eat and be able to stay thin and wiry naturally. I actually love the winter for just those reasons: it's a natural excuse to hole up inside with a blanket and stack of DVDs, drinking sugar free hot cocoa. No pressure to "get out and do something"... although I'm trying to be more proactive about activities....

Turbo ~ (I get sad when no one posts after me, too...) But no sadness today!!!! Is it snowing up by you yet?
  • Joss : I seriously can't wait to read about your new training stuff! I know you won't be able to post much details, but just knowing how everything is going for you will be nice to read!

I'm not so surprised about the list of things you're gonna need to cut.. dut d*mmmmmn, that makes a lot. I swear by chewing gums that are loaded with aspartam. I'm not addicted, but when I'm on a week where I'm having trouble controling, this is my go-to trick.. Were there a lot of thing you were having regularly in the NO NO DON'T TOUCH THIS list?

Concerning your walk of shame, I think we are pretty much on the same boat. Have you notice how I was not mentioning my weight in the last few days? bwhahaha.

olehcat : dropping pounds overnight.. I could take that all the time LOL and I get you about the time comsuming part of cal counting, even when we use some app... taking the time to weight and mesure, when you just want to get the dinner on the way... frustrating!

Bayzee : Aww, it does suck that you are up Could it be hormons? TOM? Something like that?

Lockitup : I keep on repeating to myself that my endurance will come back and everything but jeeeez.. I knew I would lose some but I never thought that stopping for 6 weeks would make me feel like back in.. march or something like that in term of cardio! Reality checks hit in the face HARD! lol At least it is nice to know I am not alone in a case like that

Alexis : Yes, Ms Red Hot Dalia! She really does kick *ss though, I was wathcing an episode when she lifts with a girl and she was able to lift like 45 kg! She looks all tiny!

Skinny Army Guy! Love the nickname! I know there is all this thing about not wanting to change ourselves for MEN but it sure makes a great goal

Jessica : Welcome back! Potluck is sure hard to handle (well, it is for me). Specially if there is 5 types of desserts I always repeat myself that I'm just gonna have a tiny portion of everything but what I wish would happen and what REALLY happens are most of the time quite different LOL

You go girl in this competition! Team Jessica all the way!

krampus : I was reading through your post and it struck me : you could be in one of those seasonal depression. If you are not a winter person, that could explain the wahhh feeling and need to get more comfort food? Have you ever tried Vitamin D supplement and light therapy? A woman I worked it (she is from Spain, so she basically HATES Canadian winters) was grumpy and everything. She tried the lightning stuff (it's like 15-20 minutes a day I think) and she says it was doing wonder to her : she was sleeping better, she got way less moody and she was able to control the food better (we were dieting at the same time).

We don't have much snow left, it freakin rain for 3 days last week, which makes us really angry. We want to go snowshoeing and sking so bad

Dorian : I'm soo happy you're back! How's your doggy? And your Beau? Having rocking vacations on the way is suuuuch a great goal. Heeheeee can't wait to talk hockey with you! DO you have your season pass this year? (we are not getting tickets because my boyfriend is pissed at the NHL for the lockout, he said they were mocking the fans and that he was not going to let them get any money from him this year, he'll watch the games from home... Bouuuuuuuuh)

Hola ladies!!

I'm getting all excited, I feel like I got my diet on the track again. Yesterday and today, I was not feeling like eating everything. I also went grocery shopping and I got great stuff, healthy stuff, that I am super excited to eat! YAY!

I did no workout today because, I don't know if it is because of the crappy way I slept last night (the cat always sleep between my legs, and last night the little sucker was needing a lot of place..) but the hip was not 100% today. So I am waiting for tomorrow, I'll go for a slow and flat run. I also want to slow my pace a bit, I noticed I'm running at a fast pace for someone who did not run in forever. I have trouble running slower though, it feels like I'm not going forward, you know what I mean? Anyways.. we'll see how it goes!

Time to be honest about the numbers, I am not back down in the 130's yet I was down to 142.2 this morning though, which thrilled me. I still don't like being above my first all time goal weight, but I am getting closer. YAY

Tonight we are eating home made chili with lean beef in it. I baked some healthy banana muffins this afternoon (they are about 100 cal each) and some PB/chocolat cookies for the boyfriend.

It feels GOOD to be back in control!
  • Turbo Good job getting back on track!

Dorian Welcome back! I only have really been posting since, IDK, maybe October. I was around a year or so ago though too at one point.

Mostly everyone else Consider this your virtual SMACK to get yourself together, man!!!!! How can so many of us as a group be still not recovered from the holidays? Y'all are supposed to be my inspiration :P

__________________________________________________ _________

Things are going pretty well for me. I'm back on my calorie counting, as of this week. I'm trying a different app for it right now and it's a love-hate relationship but it tells me to eat less than the last one, and I've been doing well with it so far, and am back to a solid 148 (or just below!) from hovering around 149-150 since the holidays. Since I've only been counting a week, this is a good result! Especially since TOM seems to be knocking on the door so I am probably retaining some extra weight right now.

I haven't been to gymnastics though and here I am again with gymnastics starting in 4 minutes and... yeah... don't think I'm going again :/ I'm thinking I may wait until February. It's supposed to be cold next week and I again won't want to leave the house LOL

But hey my weight is starting to drop again, so yay!

~Katy
  • Can I drop in to ask you guys some advice? I don't really want to post a whole new topic and deal with the entire forum weighing (ha!) in. I know I don't post in the chats much, but I do read. I feel like a stalker doing so but I never know what to say or how to make sure I would address EVERYONE!! lol

I quit my job last month for various reasons and I'm a much happier person because of it. I have four part time jobs right now to cover my bills (ok, and to have money. I don't need four PT jobs to pay all of my bills. I just like shopping now).

A tech company in Madison, Wisconsin sent me an email recently that they were looking for new people and willing to pay for relocation. A little research reveals the unemployment rate in Madison is really low. On a whim I decided to apply to a few openings—I didn't really expect anything of it (I have about four year's experience in Information Technology, but no degree in that field. Just a Master's in Education...).

I HAVE A PHONE INTERVIEW TODAY.

I'm kind of freaking out about it. I really really want a job so I can move out but do I want to move that far? I know I'm just going to go through the phone interview, see what this company is like (it, like other tech companies looks like an awesome place to work) before I make any decisions...but do I want to leave my life in New York behind?

I know there's a little fear of the unknown there. I've lived in NY my whole life! I've always wanted to live somewhere else on my own and was even considering trying to teach in a foreign country. Oddly enough what stopped me with that is that I leased my car and would be paying for a car to just sit around...in this case I could take my car with me.

I'm still applying to places here and I'm in the process of getting another teaching certification so that I can teach early childhood special ed (apparently I had most of what I needed so I may not even need to do anything to get this certification)...but I'm kind of excited and scared about the idea of moving so far away and being on my own.

Then again, my parents aren't pushing me out or anything...I just feel that I'm going to be 25 in a matter of months so it's time for me to GET OUT.
  • Sontaikle - Hey lady! Wow, that IS quite a big choice to make isn't it? I suppose it's probably this whole 'transitional' thing I have going on right now with my separation from the military coming up, but I say that if the company sounds like a right fit for you, go for it! Like you said, you've lived in NY your entire life so it can be scary to leave that behind, but it's also a blessing because if you should choose to move back you would have connections and roots there.
    You can also visit your friends and family when you need a taste of home.
    It might sound overly simplistic, but once you get more details about the company (pay, benefits, expectations, work environment, hours) and the area (cost of living, housing availability, social scene, shopping, fitness facilities, etc.) write your list of pros and cons. Sometimes just writing it down is helpful for me, especially if I see that I am purposely trying to fill one column more than the other. That is a sure sign that for whatever reason I KNOW which choice I ultimately want to make.
    You are young though, and now is a fantastic time to do something a little daring while you only have yourself to take care of financially and logistically.

Kakers - LOL, I love it... tellin it like it is! Welcome back from the holidays, and thanks for the SMACK! Now one for you; get your butt back to gymnastics woman! You LOVE it... so go do it next time.

Which calorie counting app are you trying now?

Turbo - I can post some details, I just have to be somewhat careful about mentioning specifics of the diet and workouts. Today was my first weight training session on his program for me, and it was, um, different... haha. I'm used to doing more of a full body, high intensity type routine (more CrossFit-ish) and he's got me doing a more traditional split (e.g. one or two body parts per day, cardio in a separate session). It was deceptive on paper though! He really emphasizes the negative portion and going SLOOOOOWWWWLY so it was a challenge in that regard. I don't know how much (if any) my training will change over the course of the program but even if it doesn't it's still a somewhat needed break from the training I was doing. If nothing else, I'll be super excited to start swinging Kettlebells again in 12 weeks time!

I CAN have chewing gum, but it has to be made with xylitol not aspartame, and frankly that stuff tastes like BUTT. :P If I find I have a real need for it I'll chew a piece or two, but like everything else in this plan the difficult part is going to be steeling my mind. I'm going to do my best to stick to the letter of the program and not abuse those crutches.

As far as things I had to cut, um yeah.... not like, everything, but it's all the 'little' extras that make eating healthy easier that had to go! I keep having to remind myself that certain things just aren't allowed right now, but when I'm done and happy that I rose to the challenge I can add those little things back in if I feel like it. Who knows, perhaps this will be helpful for me to break that addictive sugar cycle!

My walk was a little less shameful today... how about yours? I saw you had a bit of a drop yesterday, so thats great!

I actually just watched that episode of The Fat Fighters with Red Hot Dhalia cleaning the 45kgs LAST NIGHT! LOL, how random is that?! I thought about what Alex said with regard to being 'in comparison to the other women' but no, I still think Dhalia and the other one (Um, Ta... something?) are a bit thin FOR MY TASTE. That's just me. The chick that teaches the stiletto class is perfect though.

I'm concerned about your hip... do you think you might need a second MRI or X-Ray? Did you have one to begin with? If you took all that time off and it's still bothering you it sounds like a bone issue, not a muscle/tendon issue.

Alex - **** no, lets leave it at bones of steel! LOL that would make me feel a bit better! Random; do you wonder how much Wolverine weighs with all that metal in his body? He's ripped as **** but I bet he weighs 300 pounds or more...
    Your Army man is young, so who knows, with a bit of time he might naturally gain weight or just focus more on 'bulking up'. You want to slim down a tad before you see him, so maybe he's secretly trying to gain during this time too! LOL Regardless, if he makes you laugh and you enjoy him, go get it girl!

Krampus - Weighing the same with a 2" smaller waist DOES matter, and it rocks! That's awesome.

haha I like your system of rating poo now... but I'm sorry you only had a 2-star yesterday! Maybe your big old salad you had packed up will help you out today. I actually had a salad last night that made me think of you because it seems like the sort of 'throw all the goodness in a huge bowl' salad you eat; it was a mix of romaine and spinach, then I added cucumber, green onion, avocado, sweet potato, chicken, and balsamic vinegar. It was pretty delish, and I love the combo of hot/cold (chicken and taters were hot). Maybe I'll food porn it up and take a picture tonight since I'll likely have it again.

As for your question RE my program: It's actually a very nice balance of carbs, protein and fat... nothing dramatic and calories are higher than I would have thought, even at this point (I have doubts I'll lose any actual 'fat' this week on this many calories, though I did drop a bit of bloat...)
    As things progress I will probably lose more carbs and calories but right now it's just very "clean" and totally normal. Lots of chicken, oatmeal, veggies, sweet potato, flax seeds, protein shakes, peanut butter, egg whites, etc. LOL I wouldn't call it brutal by any stretch, but I eat fairly 'clean' and natural most of the time anyway.

"Maintaining IS exhausting, even at not-very-lean levels...the constant consciousness and vigilance wears on us, and we live in a society that touts granola bars as healthy snacks and pats people on their heads for going for a walk once a week." - Preach it girl! LOL I think when you find a way of eating that works for you it's a lot easier of course, but trying to shift from maintaining to losing is really crappy... hahaha

Dorian - Holy crap, I hope if I ever take a 3FC Hiatus I get that kind of welcome back! Maybe seeing how much you were missed will keep you from straying again!

Thank you again for the kind words, it means so much to me, especially right now! I sort of feel the same regarding my tattoos... like, they look great when everything is tight and toned but right now my side piece isn't super hot! LOL I would love to see your chicken-hawk tattoo, so you'd better get in that bathing suit and take lots of pictures on your vacations!

Hawaii and San Diego... man, two places I would LOVE to go. Those trips sound like so much fun! Definitely motivation to stick to a healthier diet AND yes, weight training! Check out the recommendation Krampus gave you, look at some of the beginner programs on bodybuilding.com, and maybe check out New Rules of Lifting For Women to get started. If you can afford to hire a trainer and have the time that would be an excellent way to go too (assuming she's reputable of course!) A good trainer has seen and heard just about everything, so even saying right up front in your initial interview/consultation that you would prefer not to be touched won't even phase a trainer, male or female. If it does, find another trainer.

As far as the othre gym go-ers, if you have an ipod on and are doing your thing I can promise you that if anyone DOES try to talk to you or give you tips it will be rare, and a simple "thanks" or similarly curt reply depending on the situation will get the point across that you don't feel like chatting. Don't be scared!

I can be a perfectionist, and sometimes I am too intimidated to try something for fear of failure, injury, embarassment, or whatever... but sometimes you just have to DO IT and take that risk. Weight training is totally one of those things. Start slow, get some help if you need to, and don't stress about it. Just make the effort to begin and see where it takes you.

It could take you all the way to Hawaii and San Diego in a bikini...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well... I'm a daily weigher for the time being... weight today was down a couple of pounds so it looks like a bit of water/bloat did drop off. (Down 2.4 pounds today) I'm not super optimistic I'll see the same thing tomorrow, but it would be fantastic if that trend continued for a couple of days. I don't think "at least 5-10 pounds of it" was bloat and cheesecake, but a few, perhaps.

It doesn't really matter... as long as the scale continues downward and MORE IMPORTANTLY my bodyfat decreases at a decent rate I'll keep on pushing.

Last day of the work week today... yay! I have a 4-day weekend and really don't know what to do with it. My workouts are a bit shorter (right now) and I can't really do a lot in terms of cooking new meals and dining out, so I'll get some stuff done around the house. It needs a good deep cleaning, I need a lot of sleepy time, and maybe I can keep working on my wedding scrapbook since I've been neglecting it.