Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I can't believe I'm the last poster and the first!

So I gained weight. I weighed myself this morning and I was 148.6!!!! I don't even have the heart to change it on my ticker, but I really should (and did). The only reason I didn't change things before was that I was sure that holiday bloat would drop right off in a few weeks (HOW when I was still eating like crap? :-/). Now I really need to start over from scratch. Anyway, it's no mystery WHY I gained weight. Yesterday and Friday were like a free-for-all for me. I have no idea why I do that to myself.

So I recalibrated. I don't know what all is causing the bloat or weight gain as far as actual food I'm eating, so I went grocery shopping yesterday and got a lot of healthy food (traditional Super Foods) and arranged it so that it's easily accessible to me (like buying already cut up broccoli/cauliflower (I like them raw, not cooked), apples and oranges outside the refrigerator in a bowl, kale already cut up, cut up green and red peppers, etc.

I decided that while I like IFing and it feels good, I need to focus only on weight loss right now and that I need to go back to what I was doing when I was being so successful back in November -- running was my exercise and I ate a big, big salad for lunch with a hard boiled egg, 1/2 of a chicken breast, 1/4 of an avocado, all kinds of veggies, homemade vinaigrette that also had olive oil in it. So plenty of healthy fat and protein and LOTS of veggies, plus some kind of fruit. For dinner I would have some sort of lentil soup or vegetarian chili or a stir fry with chicken or shrimp without the rice. For breakfast I would have some sort of omelette. If I needed a snack, I'd have a piece of fruit or some almonds.

So I would do that faithfully during the week and then on the weekends, I'd let loose a little. I didn't mean I'd go to town and eat out at McDonalds at every meal or anything, but it would allow some flexibility for when I go to my parents' house for dinner or if I had some sort of social event. I lost weight every week I did that and didn't go crazy on the weekend. I even had some social events during the week that I was a little "off plan" on (like Halloween). That's how I got down to 141 from 151 (mostly). Plus, I ran 30-40 minutes.

Now I think strength/resistance training is super, super important and should be part of my life, but I'm going to temporarily drop it until I get closer to my goal weight. The reason is, I don't want to be thrown off by not losing weight because of the water retention and building muscles until I'm at a point where I know for sure that I am losing weight steadily doing what I'm doing. Otherwise if I hit a stall I won't know whether I'm not losing because of muscle/water weight or because of how I'm eating.

And for REAL, I'm dropping the wine during the week. I want to go to having it only on Fridays and Sundays.

So I'm putting it out here so others can see my plan!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #92  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hey Feathers,

Not much to say...was hung over yesterday and weighed in at 126.8 and then I ate a lot all day and was 126.8 again today. I FINALLY had substantial poos this morning so at least that's not an issue anymore. Despite all that eating I couldn't handle the gym much today, after 20 minutes of HIIT I was outta there and tired! Maybe I'm ovulating.

Yesterday I went to Binghamton to visit a friend who lives there and man, that is a sad town especially on a dreary day. We went to WEGMAN'S and I ate the entire buffet but focused on veggies, so I think that explains this morning's wild pooping. The highlight of my day was playing with 5 cats and taking pictures of them...eeeeeee! I still don't want a pet though.

olehcat Argh gaining weight and knowing how it happened is the most frustrating feeling. I personally like having a "eat mostly the same stuff Mon-Thu and relax on weekends" schedule - Sundays are generally my "snake day" where I just eat one giant meal, and Saturdays I'll often do brunch and drinks or whatever. See what works for you - I found that strength training didn't hinder my weight loss, but I also restarted trying to lose weight with starting strength training at the same time, so I'm sure the caloric deficit was what really got me. Good luck!

JossFit You have a banging before body and I know the after picture will be even more fierce! Good luck on your trip, I hope you have fun visiting!

Bayzee Mmm barley...you are so diligent and dedicated to your diet, I wish I could control myself that well (I'd probably be as teeny as you are, ha!). RV camping is a pipe dream right now...my bf is 29 and I'm 26 and combined we're not even making six figures a year, but we'll get there someday!

Alexistrophic Wooo all you can eat sushi and skiing sounds like a great weekend! How was skiing/snowboarding? I can't do any of it but my bf is an expert level skiier and he's going to northern BC to go wilderness skiing for two weeks at the end of this winter. Not sure what's up with the conflict, probably winter doldrums...

TurboMammoth YOU QUEBECOIS AND SAYING "RESTO" lol, millions of congratulations to you for finishing your thesis!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having a great meal at home is so much better than going out, spending money, and not having exactly what you want. Reason #3472894723823 why everyone should learn how to cook!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #93  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

alexis : How was your skiing day? Still did no maked it there this winter but it freakin rain all weeeeeeeeeeek. Destroying all the great fluffly snow. Bleeeeh. You say the weather was supposed to be hot.. I don't like skiing when it is above freezing point, the snow is melting and it makes big bumps on the slopes when people break.. and it makes me fall LOL

Bayzee : siesta and margarita... I totally understand how you can miss them LOL Yummm barley. I never think about making them!

Joss : you are already much ahead in term of modeling anything when are you starting with you trainer?

olehcat : I love your plan So detailed!!! I had a falldown during the weekend so it feels great about reading of people getting back in control of their stuff!!

krampus : playing with 5 caaaaaats! it was probably a marvelous momennnnnt! and yes RESTOOOO ahahah. I'm always confused how to write it in english... restaurent.. restarent... so I was like OH WHATEVER I wrote worst grammatical stuff on this forum!

I had a friend over from Montreal yesterday and we decided not going snowshoeing because, well, it was raining (HELLO WINTER WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU). We instead had a princess day, watch tons of girly movie and felt really bad after eating wayyyy too much candies. Back in control today after this sugar hangover.

I did NOTHING today, I wanted to go for a run but it was raining again. The boyfriend watched a ton of football and I can't wait for this to be over so i can watch the golden globes (I'm a big hollywood gossips and news fan bwahaha). I always freak the boyfriend with my Hollywood knowledge (but he is really BAD (who is this guy? - a country singer, he's married to Nicole Kidman - Oh I did not know she was married - yeah she married him a while divorcing Tom Cruse - She was married to Tom Cruse? - ... WHERE WERE YOUUUU DURING THIS TIME!???!?)

Anyways. Can't wait to shake this up this week with healthy meals and trainiiiiing. Oh yeahhhh
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #94  

Gosh, you guys, I'm already getting tired of figuring out the calorie counts in EVERYTHING. Is there a more efficient way to do this? Here is one thing I've done. I've written down everything I am planning on eating more or less most of this week and I calculated the number of calories per gram. Still, this involves using a calculator every single time. First I have to weigh to get the gram amount and then calculate. I'm just afraid I won't stick to this if I don't figure out a way to get more efficient. I already spent 45 minutes of my morning that was supposed to be used for my writing time dealing with food. Or is it that after a period of time you just figure out what you can get away with eating in a day and don't need to count? And my veggie salads are so elaborate. So much weighing and measuring...

Yesterday I did well until the evening, and it was my dad's birthday, so there was champagne and cake and well, you know the rest, I indulged and I was up .2 of a pound this morning. Blah. I am hoping for a major drop in water weight tomorrow!

@Turbo - wow, it was warmer where you are than here! It was spring-like Friday and Saturday and then suddenly yesterday we had a bit of an icing event! No fun for me (I'm NOT a winter person, lol)

@krampus - LOL! I like the term "Snake day" I think I will use that!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #95  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Olehcat - I go on and off of calorie counting. Sometimes I don't mind it, or actually enjoy it, sometimes it gets TEDIOUS!!! Maybe you mentioned and I'm just lame for not having noticed, are you using a website or app? Or going old school and doing it long hand?

Turbo - I want a princess day! That sounds fabulous! I'm with ya on the excitement for football season to be over and for the Hollywood stuff to happen!! WOOOOO!

Krampus - LOL @ wild pooing!!!

Joss - Hope your trip is tons of fun!!!

Quiet weekend in Feather-land!

I went down a pant size and as usual I decide to eat the world (as JossFit would say). I do this to myself EVERY SINGLE TIME. Take back old pants to exchange for smaller pants that fit ok maybe a little snug, then proceed to eat and bloat and pants become MUFFIN TOWN! Why must I do this to myself. I'm having a terrible time getting back on track. Luckily I have been hovering in the high 130s, but I'm up 2 pounds from my lowest weight a few days ago. BOOOOOO TOOOOOOOO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #96  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Joss ~ Geesh, girl! You're smoking even in your before pics!!! Look at you!!! When does your training program officially start? And congrats on paying off your car! Even if you've been working at it for awhile, it's such an accomplishment and a weight off your mind. Exciting to look forward to the trip in February! Must be super tough to be away from your hubs for so long.

Bayzee ~ That IS an early wake up call time and that no eating after 6PM sounds like a great habit to go along with it! Don't see why you'd WANT to break it unless you feel like you aren't getting enough recovery fuel after your workouts. That turkey sausage + barley soup sounds like a delicious way to soak up the wine.

Ohlecat ~ A gain of .2 after birthday indulgences doesn't seem that bad at all! Sounds like you're reassessing what has worked for you in the past and trying to harness that success for the future. And I think I remember you mentioning that to Krampus about your violin, now that I think about it... I just spent $1500 on a new viola and then $75 on getting my violin bow rehaired, so yep, it's a hefty chunk of change. Strings alone are like $100. And have you ever tried practicing in your bathroom? sometimes they tend to be a bit more soundproof than other rooms. Acoustics are fab, too.

Krampus ~ Snowboarding was amaaaazing!!! SO much fun!!! And I like the "snake day" term, also. I had that nickname in college, when I'd have like three giant trays of food in front of me at the cafeteria. "Are you sharing with friends?" "No, no... these are all mine."

Turbo ~ I do enjoy that "Princess day" term. Into the Feathers vocabulary it goes! It was been super warm and rainy down here. The hills were all man-made snow and slushy. lol - glad you had fun watching the Golden Globes... I love your random celebrity trivia.

Lockitup ~ Eat the world time... oh boy oh boy... Do I ever know that tune. But still so close to your lowest weight! Not too bad at all, lady. Slow and steady wins the race. Learn from the past and move on. Every little victory adds up...

~~~
Happy Monday, Feathers!

Ugghhh - STILL sore from snowboarding on Saturday. I knew I was out of shape, but I didn't realize I was THAT out of shape! And then, to add insult to injury, I was UP a pound on the scale on Sunday morning. Did a bit of googling and discovered that weight training can sometimes make people gain (water retention to protect the new muscle formation) but gosh darn if it isn't demoralizing. This is how easily I build muscle: this was mostly cardio activity and yet my muscles swelled up and got bigger without any specific concentration on weight training.

Everything I've read seems to point to the "just stick it out through the temporary water gain" and I'd like to keep it up, but I feel so puffy and swollen now. Just googled and got a "snowboarders workout" from bodybuilding.com and am thinking of using this as a template to throw in some strength training moves. I love the "boarder body" look: lean and defined, without being too curvy or muscular. I'm pretty much built straight up and down to begin with and since I build muscle so easily, I want to be careful about how I train, too.

Another downside to the sudden gain is that I ate out of frustration yesterday. Ended up eating biscuits, plus a boatload of sugar cookies and eating past cutoff. I wasn't even hungry, reallt. Just kind of pissed off. Doing a CSI this morning (after a 'hair of the dog' stack of cookies, of course ) I have all the healthy food ready to go: turkey tacos last night and will have them again toinght, just without the taco shell.

I'm a mesomorph, with a rectangular shape and "sturdy" build (ugh). I'm going for more of a long, lean, and willowy look. My biggest challenge is going to be eating on plan (lean protein and veggies+fruit) and not being psyched out by the gains on the scale. I feel like I have to check in daily to keep myself accountable, but again, the biggest challenge is going to be not eat out of emotion. Such is the challenge.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #97  

S/C/G: Lose body fat

Height: 5' 3"

Happy Monday Feathers! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I'm doing ok with eating and great with workouts. But, I still don't feel "right" or motivated right now. I have to push myself hard to stay OP.
My weight isn't budging and I'm hoping it's only from heavier lifting, and I change in my workouts.

__________________________________________________ ________

Joss...Hope you're having a blast! Can't wait to hear about the K.O. plan.

Lockitup...The smaller you get, the harder it is to stay within calories...especially when working out very hard. Feathers can gain weight by looking at food! LOL! You are an inspiration and you will get there!

Krampus...I've been to Binghampton. Sad, but true! LOL! But we did some great camping in the Finger Lakes area. You should check it out this summer.

Turbo...Shake it girl! I love your determination to get back on track! Way to go!

Alex...I'm feeling your weight lifting dilemna. My weight hasn't moved despite being pretty on track and working out. I am lifting heavier now than usual, so I'm hoping that's what it is. Oh...Take measurements and pics...that will be your "scale".

Olecat...I can so tell you are frustrated. Hang in there! When I started eating clean, I did "the 17 day diet". It helped me change my eating habits, and is an excellent starting point for losing weight with clean eating. It's not a counting "obsession" program, which was what I needed at the time. I highly recommend the book, and I still eat fairly close to how I would in Phase 1 and 2 of the program.
The concept is simple:
It's 2 fruits (before 2 p.m.), 2 n/f greek yogurts, lean protein and veggies at every meal, drink water, drink green tea, take fish oil or flaxseed and a multivitamin.
I honestly try to follow this way of eating as a lifestyle, not a diet. It does take some planning and I'm not perfect at it, but it works. Oh...and I still had and have wine on the weekends

LeilaJay, Mottainai and Chickie...where are you feathers?

Last edited by Bayzee; 01-14-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Bayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #98  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

Hey girls! I got back last night from Dallas. My best friend got married, so it was 4 days of fun, lots of eating and drinking, but a lot of dancing too. I'm back and ready to get back on track. I had a great workout this morning at the gym.

I have to work for the next 3 days, but I'm going to try to catch up with y'all tomorrow!
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #99  

Hi! Day one of my new crazy schedule just ended. Work + 3-hour class = VERY tired me.

My eating was improved today. Much improved. I hope I see a bit of a dip on the scale tomorrow. I feel so chunky now it's uncomfortable.

Oh, I've found a nice wine substitute! About 1 oz of pomegranate juice mixed with seltzer water! It tastes tangy and sort of wine-like! I had this in a wine glass today. It would be 50 calories for a full glass since 3 oz of pom. juice is 150. So 50 as opposed to 150-200 for real wine is a good start! I know it's ideal to just have calorie-free drinks but I have to start somewhere...

@bayzee - you're right. I'm frustrated. Mostly frustrated with myself for making poor choices and sabotaging myself at every turn. I like your idea. I don't know if I can commit to a strict program with my life being crazy the way it is, but I very much like the idea of starting off with 2 fruits, 2 n/f yogurts, veggies and protein, etc. It sounds like it would be very effective for weight loss. I'm going to try this. Er, don't have Greek n/f yogurt at home but have everything else!

@Alex - Heh, yep maintenance of these instruments can be quite pricey! Actually my bathroom is the place where the sound MOST carries between our two places, LOL. Or rather the wall that's near the bathroom. There is a room downstairs that could possibly work, should I ever get a new bow... (I can't just rehair the bow, it's totally warped or something).

@lockitup - I use calorie count. What I like about it is that it allows the option of measuring everything in grams! I like the myfitnesspal site better overall, but that option isn't there and sometimes you ONLY get the option of "1 serving" or something else weird that I can't translate to what I'm actually eating. But it's still SO time consuming. I know that's not going to work for me long term if I'm getting frustrated over the time involved (my time will be SO precious this coming three 1/2 months!)

Last edited by olehcat; 01-14-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #100  

Joss ~ Just read back that you were visiting the bestie before she deploys. Hope that you're having a great time and can't wait to hear how your program goes.

bayzee ~ I checked out the 17 Day Diet and it looks like a good program. Just basically healthy eating, but I like the way they structure the foods. I'm giving it a go myself. And you are so right with letting clothes and tape measure be the guides. Problem is, I feel like I wasn't really prepared to jump into

Ohtheplaces ~ Glad you had a great time at your friends wedding and even better that you're jumping right back into the gym.

Olehcat ~ The pomegranite spritzer sounds delish! I love doing sparkly zero cal alco free drinks like that and putting them in fancy wine glasses. Makes me feel all "classy" and civilized. Lol - guess the bathroom is out of the question, then. Are there any colleges/universities by you that might let you use their practice facilities? (I've done that before... *sneaky*)

~~~
Got my blood results from the doctor yesterday... Consider this my wake up call. Sugar and bad cholesterol are way and since they weighed me (with clothes in the middle of the day, argh) I'm up ten pounds since early December. I don't eat meat that often at all and have the food logs to prove it. In fact, I feel better when I eat MORE meat (lean mostly, since that's just what I prefer taste-wise) I'm going to guess that the high numbers were just the other crap I've been scarfing. My A1C was fine, though, so I'm also thinking that it was my own stupid fault it came out so poorly on that day. I had just made (and eaten) a whole truckload of sugar cookies the night before, so lesson well learned.

The doc didn't have any real suggestions and just told me to "watch what I eat" and possibly to consider having the panel repeated in a year. If nothing else, I have a great "before" story.

I googled the 17 Day Diet and while it just looks like standard healthy eating principles, it helps to have a program to follow. Also was back in my (home) gym last night for the first time since November. I'm going for it.

Day #1 Baby.
Plan:
Breakfast -
2 hard boiled eggs
cantaloupe

Lunch -
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 avocado

Dinner -
2 oz ground turkey
tomatoes+lettuce

Snacks -
Green tea
nf greek yogurt

Other - at least 64 ozs water.

Looks a little skimpy cal-wise, but it's only for the first 17 days.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #101  
Staying the Same

Hey Feathers!

Had a nice weights workout before work though as usual I was running behind on time and had to cut it short (and was still late to work even though I didn't shower...yum!). I need to cool it with the wine and bar snacks, but my roommate had her first day teaching at her new preschool yesterday and came home in tears so I went out with her.

I'm feeling beat today...probably ovulating. Planning to hit up Trader Joe's with my boyfriend after work which is always way more exciting than grocery shopping with normal people probably is. I am going to load up on kale and high protein tofu and cheese and heirloom tomatoes.

Alexistrophic Dang girl that's like 500 calories a day, how are you supposed to work out or focus at work on that little food? Sorry you had a scary doctor's visit though...it sucks seeing the consequences of less than stellar food choices like that. How are you feeling? Less sore?

olehcat Interesting idea for a wine substitute. I'd like the buzz included, though...

OhThePlaces Sounds like a fun weekend! Glad you made it there and back safely!

Bayzee Hang in there, January is the worst time of year to feel motivated about anything let alone diet and exercise post-vacation!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #102  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Krampus - I'm definitely feeling that January is NOT my month. Kinda sad I had an easier time of it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even New Years Eve.

Alexistrophic - HA! Doctors are SOOOO helpful when it comes to advice *sarcasm*. The GOOD things of course is that pretty much all that stuff is totally not hard to change. Still, I know that was probably discouraging. The other good thing is that luckily you are knowledgeable about that stuff and you know what to do. Can you imagine getting back less than desirable numbers and having the doc tell you to "watch what you eat", and really not knowing really what to do to help yourself.

Olehcat - Your wine substitute does sound yummy. I would miss the actual buzz though. I think that's why I switched to mixed drinks, hard alcohol with 0 calorie mixer. I do have wine with a friend sometimes, I love wine. I really love beer, but man I just can't justify the calories (though I've been a hog lately).

OhThePlaces - So glad you had a fab time! Happy you're back though! But what is this "gym" place you speak of, I know not of such a place because I'm so lazy!

Bayzee
- It's not fair. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Like 20+++ pounds ago I could eat like crap for a few days and come out the other end like 2 pounds up, and it would be off in a day or so. Now I have 1 bad day I go up 4 pounds and it takes a hundred million years to get it off. It's kind of miserable how much HUGER one measly pound can make you feel the smaller you get.

I'm sick AGAIN! Dear lord. I ate like serious CRAP yesterday; fast food for lunch, pizza for dinner. And nothing low cal either, lunch was probably a good 1200 calories, dinner was probably as much! I feel like crap in every way today. Trying to get back on track. It's only 9:30am, on track so far, but there's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng way to go. Send me good vibes because I was up 4 pounds today, which is up 6 pounds from my lowest weight a week or so ago. That's unacceptable.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #103  
Staying the Same

LockItUp sending you strength to get through the day! The HUNGER and the gorging that happens when you're too hungry for too long is the worst part about weight loss. But it doesn't mean the end - it just means you eat until you're sick of eating, and then moderation doesn't seem so bad afterward.

Here is a bit on Olympic athletes stuffing their faces with McDonalds after competing!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #104  

S/C/G: Lose body fat

Height: 5' 3"

Quick drive-by on my lunch break.
Weight didn't budge again today...116.8
Woke up early to do some fasted cardio. I need to start seeing some weight drop, or I'm probably just going to start slacking off.
_________

Alex...That is a great start, but I would suggest adding more protein and veggies. Aim for 100g a day if you are working with weights. Maybe go one whole egg, with 4-5 egg whites. I buy high proteing greek yogurt as well; 17g per serving.

Back later for more personals
Bayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #105  

Krampus ~ I am feeling better today, although still carrying a lot of weight. I kept it easy on the treadmill and just did a mile () but it felt so good mentally, if nothing else.
You da best to go out with your roomie when she came home sad. (Darn those preschools, making people cry!) Did you two know each other before you started rooming together?
I was thinking the same thing about the cals when I saw the sample meal plans. They do seem kind of low, so I'm thinking I might bump up the amount of "allowed foods" and throw in some more turkey for dinner and load up on veggies, etc.

That's hilarious about the Olympians and their Micky D's fix. I'd be all over it for the "free" part alone.

Lockitup ~ I hear ya on the appraisal of the doc, but he's known my family for years and knows that we're pretty healthy in general. I think he was trying to give me credit for being a reasonably intelligent adult who knows what and what not to eat... (Actually doing it is another matter entirely, though. ) Yuckkkk about being sick again! And try not to beat yourself up about the food too much. Sooner or later you're just going to naturally return to what feels and works best in the long run.

Bayzee ~ I'm definitely going to bump up the portions on that menu. It's too dang skimpy as it is.

Does anyone watch the UK show Fat Fighters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKhuJ4iewk

It's kind of my new obsession.
I love the trainer's characters and it makes me want to get out there, eat well, and move!